Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: The death of suburbia and Peak Oil

The death of suburbia and Peak Oil

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are about this issue.

Whether or not you believe in Peak Oil is secondary here.
    One would have to be naive to think Oil will return back to $40 a barrel. Higher prices are here to stay IMHO and will continue to rise faster than inflation.

Transit ridership is up all across North America. I know personally that rents for fringe areas of my town are falling significantly as people pass over lower prices in exchange for centrally located properties.

I guess a lot of people were counting on this to be a temporary thing, but oil continues to trade near its all time high. I wonder if it's only a matter of time before distant suburbs start dying out. Urban condo sales in Tallahassee are now red hot. More than double first expectations. Now there is nearly a dozen or so planned which will bring thousands of people into the downtown area. I wonder if this would be possible had it not the recent rise in gasoline prices.

Thoughts?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I think suburbia will die a very stubborn death. We are so wedded to a vehicle oriented culture that any change that comes will be incremental. As gas gets more expensive people will buy more hybrids, electric, hydrogen fuel cell or whatever other alternative so that they may maintain the lifestyle they have come to enjoy. Before the end I expect folks will be cutting holes in the floors of their cars so that they can have Flintstone powered vehicles.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Moderator note:
    Sorry to be bitchy, but we have about three threads on this topic. Here is a link to the biggest one.

A quick search before posting can be helpful

Thread closed
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 18 Oct 2005 at 2:06 PM.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Peak oil? What about Peak Coffee?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 30 Jul 2008, 7:43 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last post: 01 Jul 2004, 2:30 AM
  3. Paper on Peak Oil
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4