Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sleep Survey

Registered
    Apr 2005

Sleep Survey

Q1. Do you consider yourself a morning person, a night person, both or neither?

Q2. At what 3-hour period during the 24-hour day, are you at your best?

Q3. During the past year, how many hours of sleep have you averaged per week. (Use a full 7-day week to balance out burning the candle at both ends during the week and sleeping in on the weekends.)

Q4. How many minutes do you estimate it usually takes for you to fall asleep? (That is - from the moment you lay down till loss of consciousness occurs.)

Q5. Do you rely on an alarm clock to wake up in time for work?

Q6. How many hours/minutes do you usually arise before the time you have to be at work by?

My answers:

A1. Definetely a night or evening person. Even after a full night's sleep and plenty of java, I'm always kinda off in lala land in the morning at work.

A2. About 7pm to 10pm - I'm at my most fully awake, lucid, creative, social and happy at this timeframe, but not yet tired.

A3. I would guess I've averaged about 47.5 hours of sleep per week in the past year.

A4. I would guess - can't really be sure, it usually takes around 60 minutes for me to fall off into the abyss.

A5. I use three alarm clocks - one plug in, one battery powered, and one wind up.

A6. I get up as late as I can to still make it to work on time. For my most recent job, I got up an hour before work at 7am.
    Last edited by dobopoq; 18 Oct 2005 at 6:03 PM.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Q1 - I am both. I am not sure how else to put it. I get up at a reasonable hour (6-7 a.m) and stay up fairly late (1-2 a.m.)

Q2 - best in the early evening between 5-8 p.m.

Q3 - I average about 40 hours of sleep a week

Q4 - It takes me forever to fall asleep...an hour or more.

Q5 - One alarm clock, electric, I am screwed when the electricity goes out!

Q6 - I have to be at work by 8, I set the alarm for 6:45, sleep until 7:10 or so; wake the boys, through on their clothes, make them brush their teeth while I am finishing getting ready and jump in the car by 7:45...the boys and I have it down pat!!

I am pretty hyperactive for the most part...however at some point I break and sleep a full 12 hours...that happens about once a month and then it is off to the races again...
    Last edited by Jaxspra; 18 Oct 2005 at 6:27 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Q1 - I am both. I am not sure how else to put it. I get up at a reasonable hour (6-7 a.m) and stay up fairly late (1-2 a.m.)

Q2 - best in the early evening between 5-8 p.m.

Q3 - I average about 40 hours of sleep a week

Q4 - It takes me forever to fall asleep...an hour or more.

I am pretty hyperactive for the most part...however at some point I break and sleep a full 12 hours...that happens about once a month and then it is off to the races again...
    Thanks for your input. I just added two questions as an afterthought.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    A1 & A5 - Morning, 6 am without an alarm.
    A2 - either 9am-12 or 1-4 pm.
    A3 - 42 hrs.
    A4 - never thought about.
    A6 - 1.5 hrs.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    A1 - morning person
    A2 - 9a-12p
    A3 - 56 hours
    A4 - 2-5 minutes
    A5 - sometimes. I use it or jsut wake up and then turn it off.
    A6 - 3 hours (I have a 1 hour commute, though)
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    A1. Morning Bear.
    A2. Usually in the late morning.
    A3. 35-40.
    A4. 20 Minutes.
    A5. No need for an alarm. Internal Bear Clock wakes me up about 4:00 AM.
    A6. About an hour. I don't have to be in that early but I still do.....a great time to get stuff done, with no interuptions.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    1 - alway been morning
    2 - 6-9am
    3 - 25-30 hours per week (would get a little more but the girls set that)
    4 - as soon as my head hits the pillow
    5 - no alarm - up between 3 and 5 am
    6 - 2-4 hours before work (i like to do work around the house before work)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    A1. Morning, I don't feel awake though until about 5 minutes after waking up. I can sleep longer if I don't get up, but once I do... I have been told I am TOO CHEERFUL.

A2. 10am-1pm

Q3. During the past year, how many hours of sleep have you averaged per week. (Use a full 7-day week to balance out burning the candle at both ends during the week and sleeping in on the weekends.)
    A3. I dont know... 68 hours. (HibernationPLAN)

Q4. How many minutes do you estimate it usually takes for you to fall asleep? (That is - from the moment you lay down till loss of consciousness occurs.)
    A4. Usually 15-30 minutes. Sometimes I read until my head hits the pages of the book. I get frustrated if it is longer than 30 minutes.

A5. I rely on an alarm clock, but now I usually get a cold, wet nose from dogPLAN wanting breakfast at 5:15am.

Q6. How many hours/minutes do you usually arise before the time you have to be at work by?
    A6. Up usually at 5:15, off to work at 7:20 at work at 8am. So I guess average of 2.5 hours. (Some mornings, it does not seem that long though)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2005
    Q1. Night person
    Q2. 6-9pm
    Q3. 42 hrs
    Q4. 0
    Q5. No, my dogs know what time I need to get up
    Q6. 1.5 hrs

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Sleep or lack thereof is a topic I am all too familar with.

Q1 I am now a morning person, but on weekends my night person persona returns. Most people probably sleep more on the weekends. I sleep less.

Q2 I am most alert between 7 and 10 a.m.

Q3 45 to 47 hours per week

Q4 Usually about 30 minutes. My problem is staying asleep. I often wake up in the middle of the night and cannot get back to sleep.

Q5 I have an alarm clock (battery) set for 6:30 but more often than not I wake up a half hour early.

Q6 About an hour and a half to two hours.

I am unfortunately almost always sleep-deprived. I am the last to sleep and usually the first awake in my house. Usually I get 6-7 hours of sleep per night, sometimes much less.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    A1. Morning person.
    A2. 6:30 am to 9:30 am.
    A3. 45 hours (maybe).
    A4. 10-15 minutes (depending how much I've drank).
    A5. I have an alarm clock but I'm always awake and up before it goes off.
    A6. 2 hours + (before I get to work not before I have to be at work).
    I don't do anything right.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dobopoq

A1. Late evening/night person. Never morning!!
    A2. Either 9am-12, or 1pm-4. Depends on whether I'm actually working, or stuck in a meeting, etc.
    A3.I'd say at least 55. I need a minimum amount every night, or I'm actually sick to my stomach.
    A4. If I'm not asleep in 30 minutes or less, something is very wrong.
    A5.YES!! And it's a dual alarm, and both are set. But on the weekends, I rely on the dog - she can contain her bladder only so long.
    A6. Used to be 2 hours, because of a 45 minute commute. If it's a short commute, then less time.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Night person.

6-9 p.m.

49 hours
    I have insomnia issues. Anywhere from 10 minutes to over an hour. Then I wake up during the night, sometimes for a couple hours.

Yes, and I use the snooze alarm religiously.

An hour and a half. I could sleep a little later if I didn't have to get my son up, put the dog out, and feed all the pets

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Q1. Do you consider yourself a morning person, a night person, both or neither? Both

Q2. At what 3-hour period during the 24-hour day, are you at your best? 9 to 12 am

Q3. During the past year, how many hours of sleep have you averaged per week. (Use a full 7-day week to balance out burning the candle at both ends during the week and sleeping in on the weekends.) 5 Hours a night (corrected)

Q4. How many minutes do you estimate it usually takes for you to fall asleep? (That is - from the moment you lay down till loss of consciousness occurs.) 20 minutes

Q5. Do you rely on an alarm clock to wake up in time for work? Yes, but I don't really need it.

Q6. How many hours/minutes do you usually arise before the time you have to be at work by? 2 hours - I have a 40 minute commute - I also arrive 30 minutes early for work each day. Thus, I take 30 minutes from wake to shower to hitting the road. I iron a shirt in there somewhere. The pants are wrinkle free!
    Last edited by el Guapo; 18 Oct 2005 at 8:57 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Night person.

6-9 p.m.

49 hours
    I have insomnia issues. Anywhere from 10 minutes to over an hour. Then I wake up during the night, sometimes for a couple hours.

Yes, and I use the snooze alarm religiously.

An hour and a half. I could sleep a little later if I didn't have to get my son up, put the dog out, and feed all the pets
    Way OT: ............
    Holy cow!! How the hell do we tolerate each other?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Morning Person
    8am-11am and maybe a bit earlier
    I need 60-70 hours a week. I am famous for taking naps on saturday and sunday afternoons. I am pretty worn down right now from missing my naps the last 3 weeks. Unfortunately there is no end in sight to missing them.
    Falling asleep, hard to tell, I ussually read in bed and wake up when the book hits me in the face or a roll onto my glasses.
    I only need an alarm clock at this time of year, the darkness in the morning does not get me up.
    I wake up around 6, lay in bed ands listen to the radio until 6:30, iron a shirt, then hop in the shower to be out the door by 7:35 for the drive to work.
    Get out of bed a bit earlier on days I have to shave or floss my teeth.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    1. morning person
    2. probably 10-1 or 11-2
    3. 40 hours/week
    4. probably 40 minutes to fall asleep...usually due to listening to music
    5. alarm clock most definitely...it's not near my bed so it forces me to get up
    6. about an hour to an hour and a half
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Way OT: ............
    You're only here on the weekends; weekdays would be frightening for you. I hit the snooze alarm 5 or 6 times and then frantically try to get ready on time. It's ugly.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You're only here on the weekends; weekdays would be frightening for you. I hit the snooze alarm 5 or 6 times and then frantically try to get ready on time. It's ugly.
    Since I'm sleeping on the living room couch that wouldn't bother me. I'd be awake and have drank a pot of coffee by the time you woke up. Truth hurts?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Since I'm sleeping on the living room couch that wouldn't bother me. I'd be awake and have drank a pot of coffee by the time you woke up. Truth hurts?
    It's all Biscuit's fault...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's all Biscuit's fault...
    Or JNA, he holds some responsibility, too.

Registered
    May 2002
    Q1. I fall into the night person camp, although as I get older, "night" gets shorter.

Q2. Two hours before lunch and one hour after lunch.

Q3. 51 hours.

Q4. 5 minutes.

Q5. Heck yes!

Q6. I get up at 5:20 and the day starts at 7:00. That's an even 100 minutes.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Q1. a night person, definitely

Q2. 7pm to 10pm - after I have wound down from work and put the babe to bed - I can relax, maybe

Q3. I have slept a lot in the last year usually 7-8 hrs a night and a 1-2 hour nap on days I am not working - but we still get up at night sometimes

Q4. anywhere from 15 to 30 - although a few months ago I would lie there for hours - why fall asleep when the little one will need to be fed or changed any minute now!

Q5. Yup - and I usually sleep through it

Q6. Up between 6:30 and 7:00, drop the babe at day care 10 min away at 7:45 then continue to work (25 min drive) for 8:30

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Q1 - night owl
    Q2 - 7 - 10 p.m.
    Q3 - 45 hrs/wk
    Q4 - suffer from insomnia sometimes sleep in a matter of minutes other times hours
    Q5 - Always use an alarm clock but have only been woken up by it one time.
    Q6 - 41 minutes
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Having to use an alarm clock to be up in time for work is a tragedy. To be wrenched from the infinity of subconsciousness by the rigidity of the mundane material world; It is too cruel.

If only I could figure out how to get a gig paying $50/hr., working say 1-5pm, M-F, that would be the shizznit. Then I'd only have to use an alarm if I had a really late night.

My battery clock is within arms reach. I have to get out of bed to turn off my plug in. And my wind-up (power outages and battery failure be damned!), is across the room. The only time the system has failed, is when I've forgotten to set one or more of them.

Does anyone have any experience living in a culture where taking an afternoon siesta is common?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 30
    Last post: 14 Feb 2010, 7:46 PM
  2. Sleep in the workplace
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 24 Mar 2009, 4:14 PM
  3. do spiders sleep?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6