Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sleep Survey

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Q1 - morning person
    Q2 - 9am to noon
    Q3 - 48 hrs/wk
    Q4 - a few minutes
    Q5 - I have a systems similar to dobopoq just throw in a cat in the mix and i never over sleep
    Q6 - 1hr and half

Quote Originally posted by dobopoq
    Does anyone have any experience living in a culture where taking an afternoon siesta is common?

does college count

Registered
    Mar 2005
    1. I'm not really either. Late morning and evening equally

2. I'd nominate ten to one. And eight to eleven.

3. I'm at about 55. But that include time in bed, not nessercairiyl asleep. I do midnight to seven most nights, and I'm usally getting up around ten/ten thirty on week ends but I cant say when i actually wake up.

4. 15- half an hour.

5. oh yeah. If i wake up before it, it will be at precisely 6:45. Years of boarding school routine. Otherwise i'll sleep right to it. AND it has to be on the otherside of the room. I dont wake up unless i stand up.

6. Alarm goes at seven. leave house at eight. arrive uni eight twenty thereabouts. Park car. Walk to uni. (student lot being on the outskirts). Breakfast. In time for a lecture at nine. However this routine remains constant on the days my lectures are at ten.

I invaribaly nap on sunday afternoons. Does that count?

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl
    Q1 - morning person
    Q2 - 9am to noon
    Q3 - 48 hrs/wk
    Q4 - a few minutes
    Q5 - I have a systems similar to dobopoq just throw in a cat in the mix and i never over sleep
    Q6 - 1hr and half

does college count
    Well, college is a world of its own. People of a similar age group, living on a campus and most not having full time jobs; It's not quite the same as a coutry where businesses are open from say 8am-12, then reopen from 4pm-8.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Q1. Do you consider yourself a morning person, a night person, both or neither? Morning Person

Q2. At what 3-hour period during the 24-hour day, are you at your best? Depends on when, weekday or weekend. Weekdays I'd say 9-noon, weekends I'm pretty much feeling at my best all the time

Q3. During the past year, how many hours of sleep have you averaged per week. (Use a full 7-day week to balance out burning the candle at both ends during the week and sleeping in on the weekends.) Wow, I'm up around 63 hours

Q4. How many minutes do you estimate it usually takes for you to fall asleep? (That is - from the moment you lay down till loss of consciousness occurs.) on average 20 minutes

Q5. Do you rely on an alarm clock to wake up in time for work? Weekdays yes, weekends no

Q6. How many hours/minutes do you usually arise before the time you have to be at work by? 45 minures to one hour

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Q1. Do you consider yourself a morning person, a night person, both or neither? Um, probably a night person - I can never get up early enough in the morning.

Q2. At what 3-hour period during the 24-hour day, are you at your best? Probably 9-noon. The worse time is between 1 and 4. No motivation, tired, etc.

Q3. During the past year, how many hours of sleep have you averaged per week. (Use a full 7-day week to balance out burning the candle at both ends during the week and sleeping in on the weekends.) About 8 hours each night on average, so about 56.

Q4. How many minutes do you estimate it usually takes for you to fall asleep? (That is - from the moment you lay down till loss of consciousness occurs.) Depends on how tired I am, as soon as ten minutes, or as long as an hour

Q5. Do you rely on an alarm clock to wake up in time for work? Weekdays yes, weekends no (I have a two year old that does that for me).

Q6. How many hours/minutes do you usually arise before the time you have to be at work by? I have to be to work by 8, and set my alarm for 6:45 and hit snooze a few times, much like Jax!

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Q1 - morning person
    Q2 - 8am to 11am
    Q3 - probably about 48 hours
    Q4 - anywhere from a few minutes to an hour
    Q5 - simple alarm clock
    Q6 - 1hr, fairly short commute

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Q1. Do you consider yourself a morning person, a night person, both or neither? night. have been since the allnighter days of college.

Q2. At what 3-hour period during the 24-hour day, are you at your best? Noon to 3 PM is my most productive time, after my 11AM lunch hour.

Q3. During the past year, how many hours of sleep have you averaged per week. (Use a full 7-day week to balance out burning the candle at both ends during the week and sleeping in on the weekends.) the past year is probably not a good indicator, with having a baby at home....but on average I'd say I get 49-56 hours per week.

Q4. How many minutes do you estimate it usually takes for you to fall asleep? (That is - from the moment you lay down till loss of consciousness occurs.) anywhere from 10 minutes to half an hour.

Q5. Do you rely on an alarm clock to wake up in time for work? Weekdays yes, weekends no (I have a near one year old that does that for me).

Q6. How many hours/minutes do you usually arise before the time you have to be at work by? I drop Wes off at the baby sitter, so I'm up at 5:45 and at work by 8-8:15 (Work starts at 8:30).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The most f-ed up sleep schedule I have ever experienced was in the service working in a communications center. Since they were open 24 hours you had the usual 3 eight hour shifts but in the interests of "fairness" our commanding officer devised this absolutley Byzantine shift rotation schedule that looked to be pretty much random (he must have been calculating lunar months on a non-Gregorian calendar cuz the schedule looked like 2nd, 2nd, 1st, off, 3rd, off, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, off, etc.). After several months of this it came to a point that I could achieve a poor quality of sleep pretty much any time of day because I was always tired. I never experienced many sleep problems before this episode in my life but have been plagued with them ever since.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Q1. Neither.

Q2. Probably 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. - I generally feel energized after getting home from the office, and then I start to tail off after dinner.

Q3. 51 hours per week - 7 a night weekdays, 8 on weekends.

Q4. Zero to five minutes. I fall asleep fast and stay asleep - apparently I can sleep through anything, including tornados...

Q5. I set an alarm clock for workdays, but it probably goes off only once a month.

Q6. One hour.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Q1. Do you consider yourself a morning person, a night person, both or neither?
    Neither. I hate getting up in the morning and so look forward to going to bed at night

Q2. At what 3-hour period during the 24-hour day, are you at your best? I would say noon to 3pm

Q3. During the past year, how many hours of sleep have you averaged per week. (Use a full 7-day week to balance out burning the candle at both ends during the week and sleeping in on the weekends.)
    Since I'm usually the only one that hears the baby wake up, I would say 40-42

Q4. How many minutes do you estimate it usually takes for you to fall asleep? (That is - from the moment you lay down till loss of consciousness occurs.)
    My mind never stops so it can take anywhere from 1-1.5 hours after getting into bed. The snoring doesn't help either

Q5. Do you rely on an alarm clock to wake up in time for work?
    Durning the week, the alarm goes off for NHP, then I just stay awake. On weekends I wait until child decides it's time to get up.

Q6. How many hours/minutes do you usually arise before the time you have to be at work by? I lay in bed for a good half hour before I get up. Hour and a half before I go to work.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra
    A1. Late evening/night person. Never morning!!
    A2. Either 9am-12, or 1pm-4. Depends on whether I'm actually working, or stuck in a meeting, etc.
    How is it that you are at your best from 9am-4pm, but consider yourself a night person?

Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Q2. At what 3-hour period during the 24-hour day, are you at your best? 9 to 12 am
    Do you mean 9pm-12midnight, or 9am-11:59am soon to become noon?
    --------------------------------------------------
    So far, with 26 participants, statistical analysis shows:

Night people sleep 50.5hrs/week, which is about 90 minutes more per week than morning people. Small difference, but I though it would be the reverse.

Morning people fall asleep in 20 minutes, night people in 33 minutes. This supports my preconceptions.

Night people get up around 94 minutes prior to work, while morning people allow 108 minutes. This makes sense.

Among night people, 7 rely on alarm clocks, and only 2 don't. Among morning people, only 5 people rely on alarm clocks, 3 sometimes do, and 4 don't. So as you'd expect, morning people are less reliant on alarm clocks.

Keep those surveys coming folks. I may not work for the National Institutes of Health, but dammit it all, I'll find something statistically valid, reliable and meaningful, sooner or later.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    A1. More morning than night.
    A2. 7am – 10am is when I am most productive.
    A3. 38 to 42 hours of sleep per week.
    A4. 10 – 30 minutes to fall asleep
    A5. Most of the time. It is set for 5:30 and sometimes I will wake up at 5:25 (It is in the Bathroom, so I have to get up to shut it off.)
    A6. 2 to 2 ½ hours before work so I can go to the gym.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2004
    Does anyone have any experience living in a culture where taking an afternoon siesta is common?
    That would be the best wouldn't it? I've taken to naping in my car during my lunch break on occasion. But that probably is not considered appropriate for a "professional".

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    That would be the best wouldn't it? I've taken to naping in my car during my lunch break on occasion. But that probably is not considered appropriate for a "professional".
    Well Americans are screwed on this because were such commuters. It only makes sense in dense areas where people actually still live in communities. Plus, with AC, we've pretty well dissassociated ourselves from the heat of day anyway. Scientific studies show humans get sleepy in the afternoon. Men more so than women according to wikipedia.

Registered
    May 2004
    Well Americans are screwed on this because were such commuters. .
    We are - but I have to wonder if there was a federal or state mandated ciesta/time off whether it would strongly encourage people to live in the communities they work in.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sleep Survey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q1. Night person. Definitely.

Q2. My most alert time of day: probably around 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Q3. Probably about 7 hours per night of sleep on average (usually 6 during the weeknights, and up to 10 or 11 on the weekends )

Q4. The time it takes me to fall asleep varies a lot. Some weeks I'll spend half the night lying awake, and others I'm asleep within 15 minutes. I would say on average it takes me about 30 to 45 minutes to fall asleep. But that's only if I have earplugs (and in the summer foil on the windows or blackout shades). Without something to block out light/noise, I'd probably never fall asleep.

Q5. If it wasn't for an alarm clock, I'd never make it to work.

Q6. This will show how pathetic I am when it comes to getting up in the morning. I wake up about an hour before I have to leave for work. I take a shower... and then I go back to bed and sleep for about 20 minutes. I then get up *again* about 25 minutes before I have to leave. It's a habit I got into when I was a teenager and never broke.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Q1. Night person. I'm mean and irritable in the mornings. My rule in the morning is, "Don't look at me, don't touch me, don't talk to me." I especially hate when I first get to work and all the "morning people" who have been there since 6:30 want to start talking to me and asking me questions about work.

Q2. I'm at my best from 9:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. (or later)

Q3. I get 4-5 hours of sleep each night during the week and about 10-12 hours on Friday and Saturday.

Q4. It takes me over an hour to fall asleep unless I've taken Ambien.

Q5. Yes, I could not get up without an alarm clock. Sometimes they don't even work for me and I have to be shaken awake.

Q6. I get up an hour before work: 30-minutes to get ready, 30-minute commute (this is to travel only 10-miles BTW).
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jread

30-minute commute (this is to travel only 10-miles BTW).
    lol- that sounds like a good commute to me - my daily commute is closer to 1 hour to travel only 12 miles!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    lol- that sounds like a good commute to me - my daily commute is closer to 1 hour to travel only 12 miles!
    Commuting is one of the reasons I love living in a small city in a rural state. My commute to work is about a mile and take about seven minutes on city streets. My dad used to commute an hour and a half each way five days a week into New Orleans. Though I benefited from living in a rural subdivsion from age 11, I wouldn't for the life of me think about making such a sacrifice for my son. Better that my son sees me at 5:15 than 6:30. Better for me too.

Rush hour in Helena going south or west is from 5 to 5:15 (and still pretty light), and from 5 to 5:35 if you are going north or east (just because of traffic lights).
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Wow! You could just walk to work and probably get there faster!
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

-I am night - used to be morning, but returned to school in September, and have reverted to old habits of sleeping in late, staying up till 3am reading...

Q2. At what 3-hour period during the 24-hour day, are you at your best?
    -7pm - 3am

Q3. During the past year, how many hours of sleep have you averaged per week. (Use a full 7-day week to balance out burning the candle at both ends during the week and sleeping in on the weekends.)
    -63-70 hours.

Q4. How many minutes do you estimate it usually takes for you to fall asleep? (That is - from the moment you lay down till loss of consciousness occurs.)
    -5-10 minutes.

-No - I set my cell phone alarm...i have NO clocks in my apartment. My VCR, microwave and radio are all not-set....

Q6. How many hours/minutes do you usually arise before the time you have to be at work by?
    -1 1/2 hour...

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

I burn the candle at both ends baby! I'm high energy pretty much all day. I don't really slow down at any point, but will come to a sudden stop and just konk out for a few hours.

I'd say I'm most productive in the late afternoon/evening, about 4-7pm

About 40 hours. I sleep about five hours each night during the work week and seven on the weekends.

Like I said, I'm high energy until I hit a wall. Less than five minutes.

I use it, but often wake-up about five minutes before it goes off.

Q6. How many hours/minutes do you usually arise before the time you have to be at work by?

I get going about 1:15 before work. 45 to shower & eat and 30 to drive.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003

A1: Mid morning to mid afternoon person.. Not too early and not too late. I usually get sleepy by 11 pm-12 am
    A2: 3 hours where I'm on my best? 9am-12pm Then I could say 3-6pm but I'm a bit more sleepy after lunch.
    A3: Average 8 Hours of sleep...I'm definately a sleepy head.
    A4: Don't know actually but I think around 30 minutes or less if I'm really tired.
    A5: Thank god for alarm clocks, although I don't need excesively loud alarm clocks to wake me up, it's just so it can tell me that I have to get up.
    A6: 2 hours or 1 and a half.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 30
    Last post: 14 Feb 2010, 6:46 PM
  2. Sleep in the workplace
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 24 Mar 2009, 3:14 PM
  3. do spiders sleep?
    Friday Afternoon Club