Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous Duties

Registered
    Feb 2000

Miscellaneous Duties

You know that line in your job duties that states, "Other miscellaneous duties as may be assigned".

Well, today my other miscellaneous duty was to set a mouse trap. I will keep you posted on our success.

What interesting or mundane "miscellaneous duties" have fellow Cyburbians been tasked to do.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I once had to dress in an anthropomorphic celery stalk costume........

....wait, no......that wasn't me...............
    Last edited by mendelman; 17 Nov 2005 at 10:25 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Because I was the only one in the office I had to take the cardboard to the recycling center. We have office paper pick up but not cardboard.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I've been the back-up to the back-up receptionist.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    I've been the back-up to the back-up receptionist.
    ah, yes....the classic "cover for the secretaries" duty.....I'm sure we are all used to this one.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    As part of a fund raiser and by virtue of being a department head, I had to be the bait in a dunk tank. I was not as popular of a target as the County Administrator. While I was not in the tank, I was asked by several employees to throw baseballs to dunk the Administrator. My arm and accuracy are fairly decent, so he went down several times.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    I once had to dress in an anthropomorphic celery stalk costume........
    Hey, hundreds of kids would have been very upset if I was not willing to fill it. It was for the kids!

Lets see
    Temporary secretary (kind of in my job working the 10 hours a week at front desk)
    Computer and Software assistance
    Enforcer / Bad Cop (When Maister and I team up)
    Neighborhood Dispute Moderator

I am sure that there is more, but my allergies are preventing logical thought.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2004
    For some reason I have become the pop-machine filler and decider what to do with the money. We recently gave $800 in matching funds for staff members that gave to the hurricaine relief efforts.

Registered
    Mar 2004

well....

I've recently had to be the one that replaced the water cooler tank.....I'm getting better at not spilling water all over the place.....but not much....
    I'm also the technical computer/GIS go to guy in the office now......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jun 2004
    In another life/position in a city far far away well if your walking. I was called at home early in the morning and told to wear something that i don't mind getting dirty... i was the third man for a confined space purposes when my former city got their first sewer line . I just sat on the back of the truck with the radio in case something happened while two guy cleaned the line.

same city on 13 staff members and only four of us a city hall and i wasn't the city manager or female i got to change all the light bulbs at the city park using a 85 ft boom lift. good stuff

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I have been known to hunt bats in our rafters.

Take blueprints and cardboard to the recycling center.

Replace the printer paper (I seem to be the only one who does this)

Take an empty coffee pot off the burner and make more for everyone (I seem to be the only one who does this)

I help in running agenda packets to Planning Commission members
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I just fixed (rigged) the freakin toilet for the umteenth time

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I have been the one that washes all the nasty coffee cups!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I used to have to make coffee for the Planning & Zoning Commission and now get to fix it for the Trails Committee.

Sent to Public Safety last year to take calls from residents signing up for a hurricane special-needs shelter.

Send to Environmental Services last year to take calls from residents about debris pick-up after the hurricanes.

Take minutes at public hearings/committee meetings when the secretary is out.

Present Trail Nazi's zoning case when she was in the lobby and didn't realize the meeting had restarted.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    In addition to playing bad cop/worse cop, I have also been required to:
    - move office furniture
    - be a cyborg receptionist
    - United Way fundraising 'teamleader'
    - deliver Commission/Board agendas
    - fill potholes
    - talk to "that big smelly crazy guy at the front counter for me please"
    - be 'official city photographer' at annual treelighting ceremony
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I been told at times a particular job/project falls under the classic job description line of
    "Other duties and responsibilities as assigned."
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I get asked to go to high schools and talk about my profession. I can't stand it. Oh, I like the students and the wide range of questions they ask, but really, they aren't interested in what planning can offer them. It's that whole "career exploration" thing that guidance counselors and curriculum leaders want to force upon "at-risk" teen-agers that already can't stand being stuck in a classroom, let alone listen to someone talk about municipal services, infrastructure, and policies. How boring! I've learned to talk about graphics and map-making, that gets them interested for a bit, but then they start to laugh and gloat that they could make more money designing graphics for a video game company in California. Sheesh! The shame. And they're right. Ugh. But I do my duty and struggle through it until the end. Thank goodness I do this only once a year.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    Well, today my other miscellaneous duty was to set a mouse trap. I will keep you posted on our success.
    There was a little mouse skull crushed in this morning. I disposed of the carcuss and reloaded the trap. This could go on for years.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Moving furniture
    Reaching the top shelf
    Zombie preparedness studies.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    SNARF ALERT
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Not only have I had to move furniture, I've had to put it together...with instructions that were obviously translated from three different languages before finally in English.

Killed vermin of all sorts, including the "Eek, a spider the size of a plate!" sort.

Once created a map for a search then delivered it forty miles away in the mountains and up a logging trail (in my Prius).

As the only female planner in the office, became the "psychologist" and "shoulder to cry on" for any and all office personnel.

Crawled around & under in a 100 year old office building to connect phones & computers. This included working in a poorly lit dirt floor basement known as "the Dungeons". Cobwebs and mouse carcasses everywhere. And nobody told me to wear "clothes to get dirty in" those days either. Yup, did it all in skirts, stockings and heels. Try that you guys!
    Living and dreaming are two different things-but you can't do one without the other."
    -Malcolm Forbes

Registered
    May 2004
    This hasn't officially been assigned to me- but I have taken on the miscellaneous duty of wasting time on Cyburbia.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    During a college planning internship (at a very small private firm) my boss asked me to mow his lawn... at his house. He asked as a personal favor and told me I could do it "on the clock".

So I did.

In my defense it was a beautiful early summer day and beat the hell out of spending another minute in the "air conditioned nightmare".

Luckily he never asked again.... I was a little worried about the precedent that was set that day.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I water the plants, and remind (annoy) my co-workers about their assigned "chores"... taking out the trash, replacing the water cooler tank, etc. We're a small office, so we all need to chip in on occasion. I also take home the returnable soda bottles and cans.

Because I know the area better than most of my co-workers, I tend to be the one that everyone asks for directions.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Um, lets see, when did finding the low bid for free carraige rides on Main Street become a Planners job????
    I have learned more about horses, carraiges, period costumes, removal of horse waste, etc than I ever cared to know about just to have a free carraige service on Main Street. I guess this is a miscellaneous duty of Historic Preservation Planner

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. New duties
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 24 Jun 2013, 1:42 PM
  2. Variances Administrative duties
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Apr 2013, 9:10 AM
  3. Job duties