Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why the US is going to hell in a Happy Meal box.

Registered
    Jul 1998

Why the US is going to hell in a Happy Meal box.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/10/19/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Ok, I don't think folks should be awarded huge sums for problems of their own doing. I also don't think we need to legislate who cannot be sued for this stupid crap. We really need judges that will step up and say "you are obese because you eat too f'n much and do not exercise, get your stupid law suit out of my court" . Then the scum bag attorney that talked the folks into suing McDonalds, needs to be fine about 100K for being stupid.

What we do not need is laws on top of laws saying who can and cannot be sued.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Sep 1999
    One of the sponsors of this legislation is a chubby representative from central FL who was in the hospital yesterday with heart problems (at the age of 41). Bet he's spent a lot of time at McDonald's...

Registered
    May 2004
    Seems to me that this is a good idea - to prevent people from filing claims against somone else because they ate too much. I would also support similar legislation to prevent people from filing claims against tobacco companies.

People need to be held responsible for what they do to themselves.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I too think this is a good bill. No one is putting a gun to the heads of the people and telling them to eat these foods. Everyone knows that fast food is not all that healthy.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    While I agree with the fundamentals of the bill, why do we need the legislature involved? I'm with giff, what we need is common sense judges to say "eat a frig'n salad and when you leave the courtroom, try taking the stairs"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    While I agree with the fundamentals of the bill, why do we need the legislature involved? I'm with giff, what we need is common sense judges to say "eat a frig'n salad and when you leave the courtroom, try taking the stairs"
    A-freaking-Men!!!

The judges need to nut-up and start calling these cases using common sense. The legislature needs to stay the hell out and start applying pressure to the Bar Associations, etc.

Now excuse me while I sink my teeth into this "Meatnormous" sandwich from Burger King so I can let them pay for my retirement later on...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    That means I can't sue the insidious cabal known as BIG CHOCOLATE? Or, the evil Enemies of the State and W known as the French Cheese Industry?

There goes my retirement plan!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Now excuse me while I sink my teeth into this "Meatnormous" sandwich from Burger King so I can let them pay for my retirement later on...
    Off-topic:
    Compliments of David Letterman:

Top Ten Questions To Ask Yourself Before Buying The Meat'Normous Sandwich

10. "How dangerous is four-digit cholesterol?"

9. "Am I comfortable using the word, 'meat'normous'?"

8. "Do I have $3.49 and a death wish?"

7. "Is that bigger than meat'gantic?"

6. "Does a massive coronary qualify as 'having it my way'?"

5. "Is this gonna spoil my breakfast dessert?"

4. "Should I ask my doctor about Lipitor?"

3. "Why do I have to sign a waiver?"

2. "Can I get it with egg whites?"

1. "Did Cheney like it?"

This is another case of asking Government to save the stupid.
    I think it makes perfect sense to throw these sorts of cases out - but it begs a larger question: where did common sense go? I just have this uncontrollable urge to dope slap someone and say, "Duh!" When did people stop doing the mental 'action - consequence' bit?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    .....and when you leave the courtroom, try taking the stairs"
    Isn't he then opening himself up to a law suit if the guy drops dead of a heart attack?

He also has to be careful about providing medical advice as he may or may not be a licensed medical practitioner.

and finally, should'nt the title of this thread be "in a happy meal box"?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    should'nt the title of this thread be "in a happy meal box"?
    Yes it should.......
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    May 2003
    While I agree that obese suits against fast food companies should be thrown out, I don't agree with the legislature protecting big business from lawsuits. This is an example of using a ridiculous subject (cheeseburgers) to initiate a string of laws that will allow corporations to do you harm and prohibit you from taking legal recourse against those firms.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I totally agree that people shouldn't be able to sue for their own lack of common sense.

Slightly off-topic: I went to McD's the other day and just wanted a chicken sandwitch and a bottle of water. The total came to the same price as the combo. When I commented that it seemed high, she said it's usually cheaper to buy the extra grease that comes in the value meal than just the sandwitch itself. Does this make any sense?
    That being said, the fast food companies should take some responsibility for what they are serving America. But if the comsumer also took responsibility for our own actions, then we would force the issue -- not a legal issue, mind you, but an ethical one!
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I haven't been in a McD's in about 12 years except to piss. What are they serving now? Has it gotten any better?
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    http://money.cnn.com/2005/10/19/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Ok, I don't think folks should be awarded huge sums for problems of their own doing. I also don't think we need to legislate who cannot be sued for this stupid crap. We really need judges that will step up and say "you are obese because you eat too f'n much and do not exercise, get your stupid law suit out of my court" . Then the scum bag attorney that talked the folks into suing McDonalds, needs to be fine about 100K for being stupid.

What we do not need is laws on top of laws saying who can and cannot be sued.

Whoaaaa el Guapo!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    [...Then the scum bag attorney that talked the folks into suing McDonalds, needs to be fine about 100K for being stupid...
    Can we fine people for being stupid?? You'd think that would be a great way decrease the deficit - we'd never lack stupid people!!
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- That's what the lottery is.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RandomPlanner...
    Can we fine people for being stupid?? !
    I don't know about that- but I have always thought that we should zone people instead of property. That might fix the problem.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    ^-- That's what the lottery is.
    No, the lottery is just a tax for people that are bad at math...

There shouldn't be the need to make laws to prevent these ridiculous law suits, because it could make it easy for exploitation from the companies side now...

All of those McLawsuits would never be accepted in a decent court of law, it's just common sense. But since the American way is the Law suit way you did it to yourselves, so now courts are jammed with all of those McLawsuits.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Epic Meal Time - Gulty Pleasure
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Feb 2012, 4:15 PM
  2. Replies: 40
    Last post: 18 Sep 2005, 1:07 AM
  3. Bachelors Next Meal
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 12 Apr 2005, 10:11 AM