Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 2000 Census daytime population

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

2000 Census daytime population

Is this the appropriate forum to discuss demographics ?

Anybody get a heads up on the Census release on Daytime Population ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'm not real sure what a/the Daytime Population is?

I'm guessing that it refers to the population of a community during the day when bunches and bunches of people travel into a downtown area to work, then at 5:00 the leave for the suburbs???

I have never heard of it, and was unaware of such statistics being kept by the Census. Is this something new?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I didn't think the Census tracked that data. The only instances I've seen it or where it has been been relevant is in a touristy or heavy commerce (retail or general biz) situation. I always thought that the area (municpality, etc.) collected that info.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well....

I can see how it could be extrapolated using the economic census data on employment and the regular census data...kind of.....

# full time jobs by place and area against # full time workers with certain regular census data......never seen numbers though......hmmm.....that reminds me, when is the 2005 economic census available online??
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    May 2003
    I have used daytime population numbers, but they were done using voodoo estimating techniques. I have never seen actual statistics. We looked at jobs in town, commuting out of town, and hotel occupancy, ratio of daytime to overnight guests (from surveys) then used the planner's celebral constant (educated guess) to get to a final number.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ah yes

Quote Originally posted by Wulf9
    then used the planner's celebral constant (educated guess) to get to a final number.

The Planners Secret Ingredient
    Skilled Adoxographer

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    But does the economic census provide sub-municipal data, such as tract or block group? I've never seen anything, sadly.

My only known source depends on the MPO the city is in, such as Atlanta's ARC tracks employment population per tract.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Just last week I sat through a session about the 2010 Census given by the DOS. No mention of a new calculation such as 'daytime population'. I'm interested now.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    To my knowledge, the Census has never calculated a daytime population estimate. It is a valuable number, however, and is provided by a handful of third-party data vendors. Again, it is only an estimate, and the private sources base theirs only on data available for the whole country. They are most likely using commuting patterns as the major determinant. You can find commuting pattern information at http://www.bea.doc.gov/bea/regional/data.htm.

The Economic Census is now available online. It is at http://www.census.gov/econ/census02/. Information is available at levels of geography including national, state, county, metropolitan, and micropolitan places.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Quote Originally posted by teshadoh
    But does the economic census provide sub-municipal data, such as tract or block group? I've never seen anything, sadly.

Teh eocnomic census dows give employment numbers by zip code area. It is released every five yaers. The last economic census was in 2002. The data for zip code areas is currently scheduled to be released in the 2nd quarter, 2006. The data for 1997 has been available for some time.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    ^ Thanks, I wasn't aware of zip code level data.

I just remembered something that I heard recently, the Census is in the process of releasing an IMS site that provides commuting data to the BLOCK level. It is still in test & will only be available for a few states. But pretty interesting...

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I've looked at the worker flow/commutation data from the decennial census to compare the total number of residents working in a particular community with the total number of non-residents commuting into that community for employment... But you really have to make a lot of assumptions -- they may not all be working during the daytime, for example. Of course the decennial census is already 5 years out of date.

I believe that Claritas, a proprietary data provider, does have workplace population estimates available for a fee.

Does "daytime population" encompass customers too, tourists, etc. too? I rarely see this term used.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    From the Census Bureau - First-Ever
    Estimated Daytime Population

The concept of the daytime population refers to the number of people who are present in an area during normal business hours, including workers. This is in contrast to the “resident” population present during the evening and nighttime hours. Information on the expansion or contraction experienced by different communities between nighttime and daytime populations is important for many planning purposes, including those dealing with transportation, disaster, and relief operations

Seperate data tables for Counties and Places -
    http://www.census.gov/population/www...aytimepop.html

Technical notes on the estimated daytime population -
    http://www.census.gov/population/www...technotes.html
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

some good info there. Thanks for finding the link.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Unfortunately the economic census data - zip code level - is not for free. I don't feel like paying for it, hard to justify just an 'interest'.

What I was hoping would be tract level data without any NAICS codes, just a general employment figure. Though it would be swell to have 'office units', similar to housing units.

Quote Originally posted by teshadoh
    Unfortunately the economic census data - zip code level - is not for free. I don't feel like paying for it, hard to justify just an 'interest'.

What I was hoping would be tract level data without any NAICS codes, just a general employment figure. Though it would be swell to have 'office units', similar to housing units.

The Census data are free. Go to http://www.census.gov/econ/census02/

But the data is not available at the tract level.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    ^ Then my main problem is just trying to figure out their site - as the only reference to any zip level tabular data I found either had a $ amount or it was deliverable only by CD-rom.

Thanks for the confirmation that it IS there & free. I'll just keep digging.

EDIT: Still searching, but at least the geographic data selection through American Factfinder does not include zip codes.

What I have found - still - is this: http://www.census.gov/epcd/ec97zip/zipcdrom.htm which is economic census data in Access format based on zip code. But so far nothing about downloading online. I did find a viewer that you can type in the zip code & it displays the results, which you can then download - but of course I don't want to download every zip code independantly.

I FOUND IT!!! At least this is close enough to what I wanted:
    http://www.census.gov/epcd/ec97zip/downlzip.htm
    Last edited by teshadoh; 21 Oct 2005 at 2:17 PM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 25
    Last post: 02 Apr 2010, 8:19 AM
  2. Daytime population projections
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 09 Aug 2007, 9:52 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 15 Jun 2006, 1:04 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 19 Dec 2004, 11:09 PM