Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Drive-thru stacking for pre-prepared foods

     
    Registered
    Jul 2005

Drive-thru stacking for pre-prepared foods

Does anyone know of communities which differentiate in their stacking standards for drive-thrus between places serving pre-prepared foods (call in orders, ice cream, donuts) and fast food drive thrus where food is cooked to order?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Nope....

All I know is that when Krispy Kreme (aka Krispy Artery ) opened their very first store in Colorado, just off C-470 and Quebec....there was a line of at least 50 cars deep every day and night while open for the longest time......had to have police direct traffic......

My point is that it seems to take as long or longer sometimes to get a freaking doughnut than a cold burger.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I dont know of anyone in our region that differentiates. However, some communities only permit drive through operations by conditional use, allowing user-specific evaluation. If you are having a problem establishing one single standard, that may be your answer.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Your question harkens to the age old Tim's dilema.

The only way to deal with this may be to create new uses to differentiate between drive up / pick up uses (ie pre order) and drive thu(McDonalds, BK) This being said, then you could lead to variances nad other items coming up.

Special use permits /conditional use permits don't always work either.

This site met all of the City's standards and still created problems.

Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

     
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the pictures. This documents my fear on modifying are regulations.

Quote Originally posted by donk
    Your question harkens to the age old Tim's dilema.

The only way to deal with this may be to create new uses to differentiate between drive up / pick up uses (ie pre order) and drive thu(McDonalds, BK) This being said, then you could lead to variances nad other items coming up.

Special use permits /conditional use permits don't always work either.

This site met all of the City's standards and still created problems.

Don't let them drive through for prepared food, instead, make them park (*curbside* or *doorside* service would be permitted). If you must allow drive-through, under no circumstances should use of the public right-of-way be permitted, as donk's Timmy images clearly indicate the negative impact on residential uses, as well as possible public safety concerns.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Are you prepared?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 31 Jan 2014, 2:21 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 May 2009, 7:04 PM
  3. Replies: 7