Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Poll results: Do you listen and pledge to public radio?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I listen and Yes I donate, it is a great!

17 36.17%
  • Yes I listen but I am to cheap or poor to donate, I will someday!

13 27.66%
  • No I don't listen, thus I spend my money on other things like Beer!

11 23.40%
  • Public What? I don't know what your talking about!

1 2.13%
  • Other

5 10.64%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pledging to Public Radio, Do you Listen? Do you Pledge?

Registered
    Jul 2002

Pledging to Public Radio, Do you Listen? Do you Pledge?

Michigan Public Radio is having their annual Fall Pledge Drive.

Mrs. PBD and I are Public Radio Junkies. We pretty much listen to it when ever we are in the car and love the weekend programing such as Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Click and Clack, Splended Table, Prairie Home Compainion, others.

SInce we listen to Public Radio we feel/felt obligated to donate, so we did.

Do you listen to public radio? and Do you donate to support this service?

Registered
    May 2002
    I'd be much more inclined to donate to public radio if they gave me news in the morning, not a report on what some schmuck in the middle of Iowa feels about the effect of globalization on the world economy. Seriously, NPR recently had that van that drove around the country and let people come in and spout off. They called it "I believe" and I believe that it sucked.

Public TV always gets us though. Every time the MSU station does a drive, they show that documentary of the Wayne Kreneky (spelling way off, but close) who in his mid-50's decided to live in Alaska for a year. I love that thing.
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    May 2003
    I've donated a few times, mostly out of some payroll thing at work so they can't trace me.

Anyway, I figure if they need more money they can always just run more commerc^Wmessages from their advertis^Wunderwriters.

Quote Originally posted by Coragus
    I'd be much more inclined to donate to public radio if they gave me news in the morning, not a report on what some schmuck in the middle of Iowa feels about the effect of globalization on the world economy.
    And furthermore, do we really need eight hours of all things considered and morning edition every day, and ten hours of Jazz?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Don't listen anymore, maybe the car guys on saturday morning. Prairie Home Companion makes me want to stick pencils in my eyes, especially when Garrison sings.

So I do not donate.

We used to give when the kids were younger to the PBS tv station as the kids loved Sesame street etc...

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by gkmo62u
    Don't listen anymore, maybe the car guys on saturday morning. Prairie Home Companion makes me want to stick pencils in my eyes, especially when Garrison sings.
    You mean that I'm not the only one that thinks this way? I can't stand Kieler. I've had friends that made me listen (I was at their house at the time) and it was painful.
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Never listened and never donated. Not to PBS, either.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I listen and donate. The area's public station has some of the best music on the radio. The "World Cafe" show is great. You hear a lot of alternative artists you would never hear on a Clear Channel station. "E-Town" for live (recorded) music if you can stand the host. Classical on the "St. Paul Sunday" show plus a local blues show. "This American Life" has great essays also. The news does get depressing but they still do the best job when compared to other radio or TV.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I just recently send in my check but i should have included a note that if that would drop the diane rhem(sp?) i would have doubled it i just can't stand her voice.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I love NPR and donate from time to time. I hate their fundraisers. All those ringing phones in the background... do they really think that will get people to call?

Registered
    May 2003

Worth The Investment

I listen, pledge and volunteer - not all at the same time, of course. [multi-tasking's not one of my qualities] I grew up listening to the CBC (CBL-TO) and appreciated the range and depth of programming that's lacking on commercial stations.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Don't listen, and, therefore, don't donate. My father-in-law is addicted to both the car guys (Click and Clack?) and Prairie Home Companion...I have no idea whether or not the man donates, though.

I have, for some reason, been on the donation solicitation mailing list for Georgia Public Radio for years. Up until the last couple of pledge cycles the thrust of the appeal in the letters was always "you owe us money if you ever listened to one of our stations." Never seemed like a good fund raising pitch to me, but they've changed their approach recently to something more along the lines of "please give if you want the programs you enjoy to continue."

Registered
    Apr 2003
    They have some great programs, and well those things are not free!
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    My public radio peeves: "This program has been underwritten by the N.E.E.K.C. Foundation, at aecf.org." Also the fact tha I ALWAYS catch only the last few minutes of Car Talk, never the beginning, yet Prairie Home Companion seems to air on a loop all day Sunday. I mean, that Unitarian joke may be funny and all, but not six times a day.

That being said, I'll give here and there, but far from "membership" levels.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I listen to Car Talk with Click & Clack, but that is pretty much it.

Donate? Nope.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Nope. Don't listen, don't donate. That's what my tax dollars are supposed to go for. If it were truly public none of us would have to endure those smarmy pledge drives where they guilt you into spending 4 times the value of something I wouldn't want even if it were free.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Still struggling to make my piece of paper bear fruit. When it does, I'll sprinkle a little their way.

Keillor is an aquired taste. The musical aspect of APHC is a little hoky, but Garrison's dry wit, story telling, and the soothing baritone delivery of his speaking voice, give him a rare combination of authenticity and profundity. Guy Noir, The Ketchup Advisory Board, etc are great.

"What do you know?" and "Wait, wait, don't tell me" are good midwest based shows too. I like to think of them as a dose of Americana that keeps me in touch with the heartland.

All things considered is a nice way to pick up tidbits of random knowledge.

I've been listening less since I came to PDX. They have Air America, which I couldn't get in Baltimore, and the npr station here just plays classical music in the evening. No political talk, or even jazz. It's quite dissapointing. I can hear classical on a classical station; When I want to listen to talk radio on npr, I wanna hear talk radio.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Who has the money??

I would if I had a bunch of extra money laying around....but they do these fund raisers seemingly every other month
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

I thought listening to A Prairie Home Companion and What Do You Know made me a hoky midwesterner with nothing better to do on Sundays but listen to public radio. Now I find out that hoky people all over the country listen to public radio!

If our tax dollars really paid for public radio do you think they would allow radicals like Click and Clack to espouse their incendiary ideology unabated?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by blakemayberry
    I thought listening to A Prairie Home Companion and What Do You Know made me a hoky midwesterner with nothing better to do on Sundays but listen to public radio. Now I find out that hoky people all over the country listen to public radio!
    When the wife and I are at home working on the house or just relaxing on Saturdays and SUndays we always have Public Radio!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2005
    Not one thin dime for NPR. I would gladly strip them of ALL public funds, if I could.
    "If you love something, let it go."
    What kind of crap is that?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I listen to CBC Radio One, Two, and Three all the time. But I don't donate. My tax dollars pay for it directly.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Oh yes NPR is eeevil, it gulps up tax dollars at the public trough of pork barrel projects. Time to put that one to bed folks.
    Donor Support

Approximately half of NPR's annual operating revenue is contributed from the private sector, primarily from corporations and foundations. NPR receives no direct support from the federal government; typically one to two percent of our annual budget comes from grants from government agencies, for which we must apply. The remaining half of NPR's budget comes from member stations and the fees paid by stations to purchase our programming. Financial statements, based upon annual audits, are available in NPR's most recent Annual Report (5.7 MB - Requires Adobe Acrobat).

For more information, please contact Michael Vann at (202) 513-2073 or by mail:

NPR Foundation
    635 Massachusetts Avenue N.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20001

And I mostly remember to send in a pledge, but listen to the fund drive, Are you outta your mind!?
    what is the purpose within
    if not to reach the cluBBe
    herein it remains contained
    let the journey of the words begin

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Have listened since I was a kid, never actually donated. Mr. Plannerbabs and I have been thinking we should, now that we're a few years out of school and since it's #1 on our cars' radio dials, but just haven't gotten around to it. Besides, it's not daily commuting fare. I'll listen to Morning Edition on the way to work until my inherent misanthropy hits peak levels, then it's back to the iPod for several weeks of soothing commuting mixes. But, yeah, we should send in a check, if for no other reason than to get that nifty insulated/heating lunch bag/radio/coffee maker.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I love NPR and the local public radio stations. PBD....I love Michigan Radio (public radio out of Ann Arbor). It is the best public radio station I have experienced yet. It covers approx. half of the State of Michigan and everyday is full of wonderful programming.

Chicago Public Radio here is really good too, but not as good as Michigan Radio. I'm not the biggest blues/jazz fan and they have tens of hours of both (as jordanb mentioned), but the weekday and weekend programming is generally outstanding. I actually intend to go to a live taping of Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me sometime in Dec.

As for donating, I have only done it once, and that was to get first crack at buying tickets for Prairie Home Companion in Ann Arbor for my parents. We are really considering donating this fall to CPR and WTTW (chicago public tv station).

A couple points:
    • The news one gets from Monring Edition and All Things Considered is 100 times more in depth and wide ranging than the news one can get from commercial outlets or morning news tv
    • Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me is most assuredly not "a dose of Americana that keeps me in touch with the heartland." It's a satrical comedy news show, much like the Daily Show....now Prairie Home Companion is a dose of heartland Americana.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I am a NPR addict. I am listening right now... I pledged last week!!!

I support NO classical! They basically scared us by saying if we dont pledge they could not afford the news and shows and they would have to play classical music all day!!!

...but I was going to pledge anyway.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Public Radio Listeners
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 24 Apr 2009, 5:53 PM
  2. Lazy Sunday, and boring public radio
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 28 Apr 2008, 8:15 PM
  3. Why do we listen to Ann Coulter?