Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Canadian planning system literature

     
    Registered
    Jan 2005

Canadian planning system literature

Hi guys.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it if so.

Can any of you guys point me in the direction of some good literature about the canadian planning system. More specifically, can you give me the names of texts that look at the canadian response to urban sprawl, urban fringe planning, and conservation planning in Canada. If you can give me any examples of this kind thing in southern ontario, I will be forever grateful.

I'm doing my dissertation upon the New Greenbelt policies introduced by the Onatario Provincial government.

Thanks in advance!!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by blaghaus
    Hi guys.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it if so.

Can any of you guys point me in the direction of some good literature about the canadian planning system. More specifically, can you give me the names of texts that look at the canadian response to urban sprawl, urban fringe planning, and conservation planning in Canada. If you can give me any examples of this kind thing in southern ontario, I will be forever grateful.

I'm doing my dissertation upon the New Greenbelt policies introduced by the Onatario Provincial government.

Thanks in advance!!
    If you give me your email, I will forward your inquiry to a professor at the University of Waterloo that should be able to provide you with the information you are looking for.
    "First we shape our buildings, and then our buildings start shaping us." - Sir Winston Churchill

     
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by cmd uw
    If you give me your email, I will forward your inquiry to a professor at the University of Waterloo that should be able to provide you with the information you are looking for.
    Oh that would be great. I've sent emails to profs at ryerson and UofT.

you have email.

Thanks a million!!

Quote Originally posted by blaghaus
    Oh that would be great. I've sent emails to profs at ryerson and UofT.

you have email.

Thanks a million!!

"Planning Canadian Regions" by Gerald Hodge and Ira Robinson is a good text for the issues you're looking at and its fairly current (2001).

Registered
    Sep 2001
    The other Gerald Hodge book that every canadian planner has for reference is Plannign Canadian Communities.

With respect to eh green belt, I would suggest trying to get your hands on teh followign documents

1) the sewell report on planning reform from the early 90's.
    2) the first draft of the PPS / plannign reform "binder" from the early to mid 90's.

Both of these are probably out of print, but would contain lots of valuable info.

You might also want to contact the National Capital Commission (Ottawa) they may have some good leads for you to look at and items to better understand grenn belt plannign in Ontario. Also look into the oak ridges moraine group..

If you want some "dirt" on this topic, PM me and I'll provide you direction to some names and other items to research more.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2005
    A book I found helpful, having just moved to Canada from the States, is Canadian Cities in Transition: The Twenty-First Century (2nd edition, 2000, edited by Trudi Bunting and Pierre Filion)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planning literature
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 12 Jun 2011, 12:48 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 1:21 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 16 May 2011, 3:42 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last post: 11 Jul 2007, 3:36 PM