Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Amish put zoning issue on the ballot

Amish Take Rare Step Into Politics

Headline and Article from the AP Wire:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines

Highlights:
    "But they say a township's restrictions on the size of home-based businesses prevent them from opening woodworking shops at a time when small farming is no longer profitable enough.

Such shops allow them to continue to work alongside their children -- one of the tenets of the Amish lifestyle. And now they're campaigning to eliminate the zoning laws on Nov. 8.

...they need more than 1,000 square feet for their shops.... allowed under the township's zoning code."
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    That says something about the issue. The Amish normally don't get involved with the English world, beyond working in it and normal commercial activity. Having worked in areas with Amish, I know the that the lack of farm ground is a real issue for them. I've seen them work in factories and on building crews.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner
    That says something about the issue. The Amish normally don't get involved with the English world, beyond working in it and normal commercial activity. Having worked in areas with Amish, I know the that the lack of farm ground is a real issue for them. I've seen them work in factories and on building crews.
    CHI Overhead Doors probably has more Amish employees then non. The plant manager is Amish. He rides his bicycle around the plant.

Coach House Garages is Amish owned and are built by Amish. They will build you a garage in a day.

The farms around Arthur, Illinois are full of Amish woodworking and specialty shops. Most are far greater then 1000 sf. They look more like machine sheds on a farm then a shop. But I never thought they looked out of place. Arthur and Arcola thrive on tourism generated from the Amish. A lot of community leaders are Amish that no longer live the traditional Amish lifestyle. I would be surprised to see something like this around here, but who knows.

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Perhaps I might apply for the GIS Admin for the Amish planning department, I was really good with hand drawn maps

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Think about it. That picturesque, century-old red barn sitting behind a farmhouse is most likely at least 30 by 50 feet, or 3000 square feet if you consider that it has two levels. A thousand square feet is not much.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Amish
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 05 Aug 2014, 2:44 PM
  2. "a little zoning issue"
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 Apr 2007, 1:51 PM
  3. Replies: 29