Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Economic Geography career planning

     
    Registered
    Oct 2005

Economic Geography career planning

I am planning to attend grad school for Economic Geography soon. If anyone else here is in the field, I'd be interested in finding out what the best schools are and the level of difficulty in gaining employment. Being a location expert or transportation planner/scheduler is certainly of my main interest. Any help is always greatly appreciated.

Registered
    Dec 2004

Regional Science

Hello,

In terms of economic geography you might want to look into regional science programs. This is a much more theoretical perspective in comparison to a formal planning degree. The only programs that I know of in regional science are Cornell, University of Illinois - Urbana and the London School of Economics. I am also told that Penn used to have one but they dont have one now. I hope that is kind of what you're looking for.

Bennyd

     
    Registered
    Oct 2005

thanks

Well I do know that I enjoy many of the same topics that Urban Planners do but I have no desire to be an actual Urban Planner. A Location Expert, Market Researcher or Company Transport Planner would be more my kind of thing.

I guess those official titles would fall more under Economic Geography or Social/Human Geography and I know of a few schools besides those you mentioned that do offer Economic Geography as a specilazed subject area under Geography.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll have to look in to this a bit more. If anyone else has anymore information it is always appreciated.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have a masters in urban and economic geography from Northern Illinois University. While the departmet is exceptional, I cannot say the same for the university as a whole anymore. The University of Minnesota would be my first choice, followed by the University of Washington.

My thesis was on the relocation of manufacturing firms. I basically charted the origin and destination locations of all of the manufacturers moving in the Chicago are during a 5-year period, and then tried to look at different ways to characterize these firms. What factors might have contributed to their move? How does the move differ according to the type of firm? Things like that. By creating a grid and assigning the number of firms moving to/from that grid, and then regressing the polynomials of the lattitudes and longitudes of the centers of the grids, I created a trend surface that inadvertantly mapped John Fraser Hart's perimetropolitan bow wave. It made it into a text book last year.

Anyway, I have been happily employed as an economic developer/planner for 16-17 years.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 22 Jun 2013, 6:49 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 19 May 2012, 4:38 PM
  3. Planning or geography?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Mar 2007, 11:19 PM
  4. Replies: 10