• Navajo

3 9.68%
  • West Africa

4 12.90%
  • Egypt

6 19.35%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread

Thread: What culture has the coolest art in your opinion?

Registered
    Feb 2004

What culture has the coolest art in your opinion?

Again, take the poll and choose your top three (I know - they're ALL cool but you have to choose three). And believe it or not there actually is a point to the whole art poll thing. It will be made known after (sigh) yet one more art poll following this one.
    Feel free to add comments why or why not particular art resonates with you.

muslim art

Celtic

Navajo

Chinese

Pacific Northwest

West African

Japanese

Balinese

Egyptian

Roman

Aztec

Nepalese
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Roman and Egyptian are probably my two favs.

Egyptian: everything has meaning. Their art was also their form of communication. Their art was so varied as to form, from papyrus & scrolls to gigantic sculptures to their ancestors.

Roman: I love mosaics. They were very involved with sculpture, architecture, etc. When it comes to art, I enjoy things like sculptures that allow you to see different views, etc. Tile mosaics have lots of little details that make a piece interesting to me.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I really like West African and Egyptian art the most. Although, Asian and Native American (I guess Navajo), are close favorites as well.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    My complaint would be the inevitable "my favorite is not included" and the related "it's too narrow/too general/both"

So, to be difficult, I would say my favorite folk art tradition is actually probably Mexican/Southwestern Hispanic. I love the synthesis of Native and Spanish, the bizarre events like Dia de los Muertes, the pottery tradition, the churches (especially the Pueblo Churches of New Mexico) the town planning/plazas. Even the language. You hear the fear of bilingalism, but Spanish is such a melodious language (the tonal qualities of Chinese, by contrast, grate on my ears). Throw in the food, which is an artistry all itself.

I also think Ancient Egypt was pretty cool. I love Stargate!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    My complaint would be the inevitable "my favorite is not included" and the related "it's too narrow/too general/both"

So, to be difficult, I would say my favorite folk art tradition is actually probably Mexican/Southwestern Hispanic. I love the synthesis of Native and Spanish, the bizarre events like Dia de los Muertes, the pottery tradition, the churches (especially the Pueblo Churches of New Mexico) the town planning/plazas. Even the language. You hear the fear of bilingalism, but Spanish is such a melodious language (the tonal qualities of Chinese, by contrast, grate on my ears). Throw in the food, which is an artistry all itself.

I also think Ancient Egypt was pretty cool. I love Stargate!
    You have no idea how difficult it is (well, you probably do) finding art that is the most representative of a style. It's easy to find art online that is the best of a genre, but trying to sift through images distilling various qualities until one arrives at quintessence is harder than it might seem at first (although some are really easy - picking Monet as the most representative of impressionists, for instance, was a no-brainer). I would like to be able to post a half dozen images of each style so everyone gets a feel for what each style is about, but as it is I feel fortunate being able to post the number of images I have without friendly reminders from mods about making use of image hosting services (hey, I'm not that advanced) . As it is, I suspect most folks are already reasonably familiar with many of the artistic styles.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2005
    This poll requires considerably more art knowledge than your poll on style, Maister, but thanks for spurning my interest. Based largely on your samples alone, I chose Chinese, Nepalese and Japanese. The negative space of Japanese art makes it very distinctive. The Aztec example reminds me of art nouveau and 1960's psychedelic art.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dobopoq
    Based largely on your samples alone, I chose Chinese, Nepalese and Japanese. The negative space of Japanese art makes it very distinctive.
    I'm already questioning a couple of my choices. The two receiving the fewest votes - West African and Balinese both happen to be masks and I'm wondering if it's just because they're masks rather than their stylistic elements that folks don't seem attracted to them. One of the difficulties is that in both of the aforementioned cultures art is intrinsically interwoven into daily life via objects used every day moreso than objects of art viewed exclusively as being 'objects of art'.
    There happen to be some similarities between Egyptian and Aztec art in that both tend to be strongly tied to symbolic language (as alluded to by Suburb Repairman).
    So far today's poll results are going in a somewhat different direction than anticipated.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I am surprised by the popularity of the Celtic art considering the piece that you posted. Many others have rich tones of Blue, Green, and Violet.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I am surprised by the popularity of the Celtic art considering the piece that you posted. Many others have rich tones of Blue, Green, and Violet.
    I had reservations about the Celtic piece too (heck, probably ALL of them for that matter), but not on the issue of color. While color can be found on any number of examples of celtic art, it consistently tends to be a secondary characteristic. Celtic art principally emphasizes ornamental design intricacy and twisting lines. The example chosen for the poll is perhaps a little bit more complex than typical and for that I question it.

I was hoping you'd define art for us so we can meet on some common ground.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Of the choices I steer toward china though, being a conitnually highly civilized culture for somtheing like 3,000 years straight is very impressive and culminates in much beautiful art of most any media. My favorite media for Chinese art is sculture, architecture, and ceramics.

Though, there is a falcon sculture from circa 1,000 BC at the Chicago Art Institute that is absolutely amazing. It is sculpted from black granite and is about 24 inches tall. Beautiful.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    I was hoping you'd define art for us so we can meet on some common ground.
    What is this 'common ground' business? Your instructions are to blindly accept what you are told is 'art'. Now don't be coloring outside the lines - this leads to people asking questions.......

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Japanese.

Why? Because of this artist, Ando Hiroshige, who inspired the early Impressionists. Seriously! But on a more serious note, I do like that particular artist.

If you're curious about who he is and what are his works like, then check out: http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists...hige_ando.html

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Hceux
    Japanese.

Why? Because of this artist, Ando Hiroshige, who inspired the early Impressionists. Seriously! But on a more serious note, I do like that particular artist.

If you're curious about who he is and what are his works like, then check out: http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists...hige_ando.html
    Yeah, but any coolness factor created by this kind of art-or much Japanese high art and culture in general, is more than cancelled out by Hentai, Schoolgirl Anime with Big Eyes, and ...worst of all...the Hello Kitty cult

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Not that I think it is the "coolest"...but I would have added Greek.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by tsc
    Not that I think it is the "coolest"...but I would have added Greek.

When I was in Toledo in September, we went to their art museum. As noted above, I am a big fan of painted pottery. The Greek painted pottery is simply amazing stuff-incredibly intricate, beautiful colors, fascinated narrative. Makes the Acoma Pueblo stuff I collect, lovely as it is, seem simplistic.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Yeah, but any coolness factor created by this kind of art-or much Japanese high art and culture in general, is more than cancelled out by Hentai, Schoolgirl Anime with Big Eyes, and ...worst of all...the Hello Kitty cult
    Ha ha ha... I didn't think of the other aspects of the Japanese culture, namely the Hello Kitty cult. I actually don't know of Hentai or Schoolgirl Anime with Big Eyes. I'll google them...

Later edited:
    BKM...I think you should have put a warning about them not being work-safe!!!

Registered
    May 2003
    I took a class on pre-Columbian meso-American art so I'm kinda partial to it. Unfortunately it's not an option. I'll have to post some pictures of Moche portrait vases and Inkan architecture soon.

I suppose I have to agree with mendleman about China. The stuff from that culture at the Art Institute is amazing.

Later edited:
    Let's just all agree that Japan is a little... weird.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Ha ha ha... I didn't think of the other aspects of the Japanese culture, namely the Hello Kitty cult. I actually don't know of Hentai or Schoolgirl Anime with Big Eyes. I'll google them...

Later edited:

Oops. I thought everyone knew about hentai.

From home, check out "Portal of Evil." Plenty of fun from the Land of the Rising Sun (among other things strange and exotic).

I took a class on pre-Columbian meso-American art so I'm kinda partial to it. Unfortunately it's not an option. I'll have to post some pictures of Moche portrait vases and Inkan architecture soon.
    I actually own a simple "Moche Revival" piece from a Peruvian artist. It's a beautiful plate-I can see why you would like the tradition.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Teh Coolest thread evar!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 10 May 2012, 12:02 AM
  2. Coolest Thing You've Found
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 58
    Last post: 04 Jun 2009, 10:27 AM
  3. The Coolest Person In The World
    Friday Afternoon Club