Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: RIP, Rosa Parks

Registered
    Jul 2002

RIP, Rosa Parks

Civil rights icon Rosa Parks passed away tonight at the age of 92. She will always be remembered for her courage in the face of injustice, and sparking a movement in this country that was long overdue. God bless you, Rosa Parks.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Amen. Thank you for making America a better place.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Rest in Peace.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Apr 2005
    She's proof individuals really can change the world. And, I might add, she proves the power of passive resistence/civil disobediance and the importance of a free press which let us all know what she did. She's an inspiration for the ages. RIP Rosa.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Jul 2002
    She was a brave woman. May God bless her soul.

You can just tell, with a single glance, which people have dignity. Rosa Parks had it in abundance. Thank you and God Bless.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I have little to add, but I must respond. She is the epitome of courage in the face of injustice and I believe she lived her life with patriotic dignity.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Dec 1998
    May she rest in peace and don't ever stop fighting.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    A little, simple woman who was a giant of courage and justice. Today's newpaper listed her numerous awards - the highest our nation bestows on civilians. Well-deserved.

She lit the match that helped burn away Jim Crow and helped light the way to a better tomorrow.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2004
    I find it amazing that it was only 50 years ago that the law required discrimination. I can't imagine living in a world like that - thank you Rosa Parks (and others).

Registered
    Nov 2002
    A great quote from an amazing woman:
    Without vision, the people will perish, and without courage and inspiration, dreams will die - the dream of freedom and peace.
    RIP, indeed.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    A frequent phrase and stated in various ways -

She sat down so that others may stand up.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    For those that may care, Rosa Parks spent much of her life working in Detroit for Cogressman John Conyers. She was never a rich person but she was well connected. Several years ago she found herself homeless and two billionaire friends of hers gave her an apartment in their complex, which was only a couple of blocks away from Rosa Parks Blvd (12th Street sight of the Detroit riot in the 60's), and had slendid river and city views. These men are worth a mention, Al Taubman (mall tycoon), and Max Fisher (oil and real estate tycoon), a recently deceased gentleman who was involved with improving all aspects of Detroit (funded expansion of Symphony Hall for the inclusion of Detroit's High School for fine and performing arts).

The point? Remember what you do and how you act. Doing the right thing can lead to an interesting life.

In 2001, the Henry Ford Museum found the bus that Rosa Parks rode on and bought it for an astounding $400,000 from a family that was using it for a chicken coop. The Henry Ford worked with Chrysler and other companies to restore this bus and put it on permanent display along with other important cars from our history (Kennedy's Limo, A Sept 11 donated firetruck from Ford Motor, the First Model T, the first Honda that rolled off an assembly line in the USA). In the Henry Ford, you can sit in the bus and discuss the events with trained docents who will go over the history of what happened 50 years ago and how they know that this is the actual bus.

Here is some more info, it seems that either a couple of my facts are screwed up, or maybe the papers.
    http://www.freep.com/news/metro/park...e_20051025.htm

looks like the other paper support me.. go figure...

http://www.detnews.com/2005/specialr...Po4-360113.htm
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; 25 Oct 2005 at 4:52 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    For those that may care, Rosa Parks spent much of her life working in Detroit for Cogressman John Conyers. She was never a rich person but she was well connected. Several years ago she found herself homeless and two billionaire friends of hers gave her an apartment in their complex, which was only a couple of blocks away from Rosa Parks Blvd (12th Street sight of the Detroit riot in the 60's), and had slendid river and city views. These men are worth a mention, Al Taubman (mall tycoon), and Max Fisher (oil and real estate tycoon), a recently deceased gentleman who was involved with improving all aspects of Detroit (funded expansion of Symphony Hall for the inclusion of Detroit's High School for fine and performing arts).

The point? Remember what you do and how you act. Doing the right thing can lead to an interesting life.

In 2001, the Henry Ford Museum found the bus that Rosa Parks rode on and bought it for an astounding $400,000 from a family that was using it for a chicken coop. The Henry Ford worked with Chrysler and other companies to restore this bus and put it on permanent display along with other important cars from our history (Kennedy's Limo, A Sept 11 donated firetruck from Ford Motor, the First Model T, the first Honda that rolled off an assembly line in the USA). In the Henry Ford, you can sit in the bus and discuss the events with trained docents who will go over the history of what happened 50 years ago and how they know that this is the actual bus.
    Thanks for that bit of history... very nice!

RIP Rosa
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to create the website for the Rosa Parks Museum and Library at the site of where she refused to give up her seat. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to go back and see the museum now that it is actually open but I learned quite a bit when coming up with the copy for the site. From a planning perspective, her museum was a part of the revitialization of downtown Montgomery.

It is unfortunate that in her last few years that she was taken advantage of by some of those around her. Hopefully now that she has passed, the gravy train will end for those leeches.

If you're ever in Montgomery, Alabama, be sure to stop by her museum.

As an interesting aside, the site of the museum was also the first air conditioned movie theater and is where Hank Williams Sr. first performed in public.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Rest in peace, Rosa Parks. You helped begin a change that, even today, still struggles to go foward. Others followed you, but only a few of those others had your grace, your determination, and your guts to stand up for what you believe in.

The world is a better place because of you.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Mar 2013, 6:57 PM
  2. Santa Rosa CA
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Dec 2010, 1:22 AM
  3. Dog parks
    Design, Space, and Place