Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My iPod is better than yours

Registered
    Aug 2001

My iPod is better than yours

We've had music threads before, but never one focusing on the increasingly popular iPod.

Since buying my iPod right before Christmas, I have loaded over 5,000 songs / 22 megs. By next Christmas I will likely be forced to manage the content a little better, or wait for a larger than 40 gig version to hit the stores!

So Throbbing Brain, what's your iPod up to?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    0 songs... I don't have one... yet.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I actually just bought mine on Tuesday. I "goofed," though, by buying the 20 Gig device.

Haven't had a chance to really get evrything unpacked and loaded up, but I anticipate using it more for downloading songs from band websites than copying my albums. I have an excellent Sony portable CD player that is rock stable and very easy to use (just got yelled at by my boss for headphones ), so migration of my excessive CD collection to the ipod will be pretty slow.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I haven't found the time to convert CD's to the pod, but I am working on it. I use it everywhere.

Chet, just upgrade to the 60GB photo iPod.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    I have about 70 songs so far....on iTunes, my new addiction. No iPod yet, but I'm drooling over the 60gig photo iPod. That would be the best tool ever for site visits--music to listen to, plus a place to upload photos. I must have one.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I have a Rio Carbon

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/02/rio_carbon.jpg

....it's a 5 gig player....have used up about 2.5 gig.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 30 Aug 2005 at 12:47 PM.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I use the Compaq Presario X1000 as my mobile music machine. It's like an iPod only bigger and it weighs more.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I had a Diamond Rio PMP300 w/ 64 mb of flash memory. It held, 18 songs at 160kpbs. That was in 1998. I havn't owned a mp3 device since. Ipods are tempting...but too damn expensive.
    http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 30 Aug 2005 at 12:47 PM.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    What about that little battery replacement scheme Apple is pulling with their iPods? How do you fellas fell about that? http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

I have a 40gb Creative Jukebox Zen. I love it. I wish it were smaller like an iPod but it is still smaller than any cassette or cd walkmen. Last time I checked I was up to 7000+ songs, but that includes tons of x-mas albums that I need to delete. For bands I really like I went through and ripped all of their cds. The rest of the tunes are a mix between downloads and stuff I grab from friends.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    What about that little battery replacement scheme Apple is pulling with their iPods? How do you fellas fell about that? http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/
    In 18 months I'll want to upgrade anyway

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    We've had music threads before, but never one focusing on the increasingly popular iPod.

Since buying my iPod right before Christmas, I have loaded over 5,000 songs / 22 megs. By next Christmas I will likely be forced to manage the content a little better, or wait for a larger than 40 gig version to hit the stores!

So Throbbing Brain, what's your iPod up to?
    2631 files, 7:07:00:07 total time, 9.41 GB on my 1YO 15 GB iPod.

I have never gotten so much true pleasure out of an object as I have from it, the best $300 (plus about $70-75 for accessories) expendature that I have ever made. I am also beginning to consider trading up to a 40 GB model, as its HD is now just over 2/3rds full. BTW, the HD in the new 60 GB iPod Photo can be used to hold only songs, too, translating to about 15,000 average-sized 128 Kbs .mp3 files.

There was also a front-page cover article in the Tuesday, 2005-02-01 editions of USAToday about how popular it is and how it is beginning to transform how we consume music (sorry, no link available). It also mentioned about how some more adventurous nightclubs are having 'amateur DJ' nights, where customers can play their iPods on the clubs' sound systems, and how some people are trading iPods with each other for short periods of time, including with total strangers. I look upon mine as being sort of like a radio station that only plays tunes that I like, freeing me from the clutches of Clear Channel, Cumulus and their ilk, another point brought up in the article.

Mike
    Last edited by mgk920; 03 Feb 2005 at 6:41 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I've got a Dell DJ. They're made by the Creative Zen folks so it's very similar but smaller.
    Still bigger than the iPod though, and admittedly not as cool looking, and a bit less easy to use probably. But cheaper, doesn't tie me to iTunes and AAC so much, has voice recording, longer battery life, etc. I've got about 3,000 songs on it right now, which is about 16 of my 20 gigs. Since then a second gen has come out (just smaller basically), which I got my gf for xmas. My sister just got a new Zen today. Maybe I'll get a new one when a third gen comes out if it's a bit smaller.
    They (mp3 players, digital music players, whatever) are really worth it imho. I'm not really the early adopter type even, but it's just really nice to have all your music on one tiny device instead of spread out over scratched CDs. You can plug it into your computer, car, stereo, or headphones. It does mean I haven't supported my local CD shop for a long, long time though.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I accept that all of your iPod's are better because I don't even have one.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The iRiver H340 pwns. Not only that, it can play .ogg files and a bunch of other sound codecs. With a hack, it will play .avi and .mov files.

http://g-images.amazon.com/images/G/...8e2b1010.L.jpg

Still have to buy one, though. I'm quite happy with satellite radio in the car now; I like the unpredictability of the programming, and being able to discover new music that isn't otherwise in my MP3/OGG collection or played on terrestrial radio.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 30 Aug 2005 at 12:48 PM.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Docked a co-workers iPod to my library today, and added another 1722 songs. Don't know if I should admit that or not...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    [FLASHBACK TO 1970'S] What is this iPod you are all talking about? Is it like my transistor radio? I get both AM and FM on it, and it has a plug on the side so that I can listen with an earpiece! [/FLASHBACK TO 1970'S]
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2004
    I have a cheap knock off IPoD copy which I bought off Ebay. Can't remember who makes it (Sanhimnoyoshi or something ), but it does the job for me.

But I still love my AM radio though - essential for good sport listening in this country!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    My husband just bought me (for his birthday - reverse birthday gift giving) an iPod. I love it! I have a 20 gig iPod and just happy to have that. I need more music. I have a limited music collection since I am in Florida and most of my cds are in Philadelphia. Need new music.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Guap that site is full of bull stuff I have had my Ipod well over a year 21 gigs of music so it all wont fit and thats ok. I dont see any need for more space, I still have songs on there I have yet to play.

My bf has had his FIRST gen Ipod from the time they first rolled out and its still going strong. If you take care of your toys they pretty much dont break.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Bought my iPod in summer 2003, and it's cool to see everyone talks about it now. And I don't have any probelems with battery life, so far.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    [FLASHBACK TO 1970'S] What is this iPod you are all talking about? Is it like my transistor radio? I get both AM and FM on it, and it has a plug on the side so that I can listen with an earpiece! [/FLASHBACK TO 1970'S]
    Yeah, well I bet all your records run at a measly 33 rpm....most of mine operate at over TWICE that speed - 78 rpm!

Card, I think we need to get a 'talking smack about obsolete technology' thread going.... (oh, you say your butter churn has a 14.5 litre capacity...MINE'S got 15.5!....)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    <snip>So Throbbing Brain, what's your iPod up to?
    Oh, it's still sitting on the shelf at the Apple Store waiting for the wife to get a job so I can go purchase it. Someday soon... Someday soon...

I'd like to have one, but the reality is that there are other priorities right now that prevent it.

Off-topic:
    I have heard that the iPod's *shuffle* feature has an affinity for Steely Dan, particularly "Reelin' in the Years". Apple says -- no way, it's random -- but owners that have downloaded SD say otherwise. Comments?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    AIB Cardinal and Maister
    I missed out on having a 8 track tape player in my car.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Most surprising song on your iPod?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 09 Sep 2010, 2:27 PM
  2. Advice on buying an iPOD/MP3 player
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 28 Jan 2008, 8:14 PM