2 10.00%
  • Monet

4 20.00%
  • Morisot

0 0%
  • Renoir

4 20.00%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Which Impressionist Artist is Your Favorite?

Registered
    Feb 2004

Which Impressionist Artist is Your Favorite?

Last art poll. So much for having a purpose, though. I was planning on showing through the poll results how the art we get most frequent exposure to is the art we end up thinking we like best. That's apparently not the case, though. Oh well, participate in this last one for the fun of it and if you feel like voting for Monet because that happens to be the impressionist you're most familiar with go ahead (he happens to be the best FWIW IMHO). Since these are all French impressionists you only get to pick one.
    Pissarro

Boudin

Cezanne

Degas

Cassat

Monet

Morisot

Renoir
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Judging by the selection you have offered, I would have to pick Cezanne. Not being a true fan of Impressionism, but I like to Cezanne -painting.

You in an artsy mood lately or something, Maister?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Within the limitations of the choices, I went with Renoir - given an open field from which to choose and I probably would have gone with Manet (although I'm not 100% sure he's a true impressionist - Art Appreciation was a looooong time ago...).

I also like Frederick Carl Frieseke (American impressionist) - the Telfair Museum in Savannah has a couple of his works.

The bias against les Fauves continues into the 21st century. I am not surprised
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I chose Cezanne, because I like his use of colors and landscapes.

Though Monet is a very close second.
    Last edited by mendelman; 26 Oct 2005 at 11:06 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba
    Within the limitations of the choices, I went with Renoir - given an open field from which to choose and I probably would have gone with Manet (although I'm not 100% sure he's a true impressionist - Art Appreciation was a looooong time ago...).

I also like Frederick Carl Frieseke (American impressionist) - the Telfair Museum in Savannah has a couple of his works.
    Most artists cringe at the thought of anyone attaching an 'ism' to their work. That said, I'd have to agree that Manet's works don't fall within the strict definition of 'impressionism'.
    I happen to think that FC Frieseke could go toe to toe with any French impressionist on any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    The bias against les Fauves continues into the 21st century. I am not surprised

Some of my best friends are fauves....

I would vote for Frederic Bazille, he is a bit obscure, having died very early, but very very good. And who am I to dis Cezanne?

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Monet, by far.

I enjoy his focus on landscapes and water.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I voted Cassat, as I like the American school that was influenced by the French Impressionists. My favourite being John Singer Sargent, but that wasn't an option in the poll.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Rich Little is my favorite impressionist artist.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    voted Cezanne.

Maister, I thought for a little while there you were doing an art preferences survey a la Komar and Melamid, Russian artists who conducted a poll in the US to determine what the most desired piece of art would look like. They hired a market research company to conduct the survey with questions like "What is your favorite color?" and if you would prefer portraiture or landscape. They then took the results and painted a picture of what the results indicated most Americans would like. The result for the US was a romantic era landscape with George Washington and deer in the composition.

You can check out their ongoing project called Paint By Numbers through Google or go to www[dot]diacenter[dot]org/km to see what the painting looks like. They did this for other countries too.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    no Jean Paul Guigain or Pablo Picasso??? No Van Gogh? I chose Degas for his masterful draftsmanship and his use of light.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by time+space
    voted Cezanne.

Maister, I thought for a little while there you were doing an art preferences survey a la Komar and Melamid, Russian artists who conducted a poll in the US to determine what the most desired piece of art would look like. They hired a market research company to conduct the survey with questions like "What is your favorite color?" and if you would prefer portraiture or landscape. They then took the results and painted a picture of what the results indicated most Americans would like. The result for the US was a romantic era landscape with George Washington and deer in the composition.

You can check out their ongoing project called Paint By Numbers through Google or go to www[dot]diacenter[dot]org/km to see what the painting looks like. They did this for other countries too.
    No, the folks that have been on this board for a while know that I am a frustrated anthropologist and am always looking for new angles to analyze/comment on culture. Art is new territory for me, but from the looks of it I am an abject failure in the field of art polling - I conducted a pan-cultural survey of art, taking into account both style and culture but had huge gaping omissions (like forgetting to include CLASSICAL GREEK art, duh!).
    I see right now the Cezanne painting is leading by a good margin - it figures - you ask a bunch of planners what they like in terms of aesthetics and they pick a painting showing an ingress/egress point leading to multi-level/mixed use dwelling units!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by time+space
    voted Cezanne.

The link is http://www.diacenter.org/km/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2005
    I like the social scenes of Renoir. Cezanne has a very fresh look, but his many still lifes of fruit are rather boring.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I like them all. I had a hard time choosing which one is my favourite tonight. I decided to vote for Pissarro because of all these Impressionists, he did the most city-scape paintings. Mostly of Paris, but also of Rouen and some other cities in France.

I even had to write a geography paper on how Pissarro reflected the Haussmannization of Paris in his artworks. It was for a course on the Modern Development of Cities in Europe.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Dec 2012, 7:38 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 May 2009, 6:49 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 24 Jul 2007, 5:39 AM
  4. Artist from Colorado, Hi!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Jul 2005, 9:43 PM