Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Off-limits days for public meetings (AIB Happy Deer Day)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Off-limits days for public meetings (AIB Happy Deer Day)

Around here, it can be very difficult to schedule a regular public meeting. With winter coming up, there's the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. In exurban communities, deer gun season is off-limits. It's a bad idea to have a meeting a week before or after, too.

One custom I never encountered until I started working here, though - in exurban areas, Wednesday is off-limits for meetings. Why? Church. I don't know why, but around here, in the semi-rural areas at the edge of the county, it seems like everybody goes to church on Wednesday night. What's the deal with that?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    In some places I hear that St. Patrickís Day and the day after are off limits.

As for the church reason for Wednesdays, I could see it being important for Kids with religious education, however I donít understand how it would pertain to adults.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    One custom I never encountered until I started working here, though - in exurban areas, Wednesday is off-limits for meetings. Why? Church. I don't know why, but around here, in the semi-rural areas at the edge of the county, it seems like everybody goes to church on Wednesday night. What's the deal with that?
    Wednesday nights are common for church... I had a really hard time scheduling meetings when I lived in Oak Harbor, WA, because of church night. But it was great for me, because I always knew that Wednesday would be a free night (so I could schedule things with friends, take a course, etc.)... here, no day if off limits so I can't do anything without scheduling months in advance.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Around here, every Christian holiday and most Jewish High Holidays, plus a few minor ones are off limits for meetings.

Where I used to work, moose season opening day of duck season and opening day of deer season were all off limits.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    Around here, every Christian holiday and most Jewish High Holidays, plus a few minor ones are off limits for meetings.

Where I used to work, moose season opening day of duck season and opening day of deer season were all off limits.
    Must be nice! I have had numerous meetings on Yom Kippur and/or Roshashana. And if I want that date off, I have to use vacaton time...I wouldn't be half as irritated if it was just vacation time but often I cannot even use the vacation time because it falls on the night of a regularly scheduled meeting. Has happened 3 out of hte 6 years I have been here....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    In some places I hear that St. Patrickís Day and the day after are off limits.

As for the church reason for Wednesdays, I could see it being important for Kids with religious education, however I donít understand how it would pertain to adults.
    Well, for evangelicals Wednesday evenings are prayer meeting nights. I had to be cautious of this when working in rural areas of Virginia. Here in SW Pennsylvania, where evangelicals are in the definite minority, Wednesdays are fine. Heck, you could likely get by with having meetings on Sundays as well. However, Jewish holidays, even the minor ones, are a major no-no. I recently learned that one by mistake.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Jewish holidays and public school vacation weeks are the problems here and I've screwed these up a few times already.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wednesday evening meetings are off-limits here. In fact, all evening meetings for me are off-limits as they cut into cocktail hour.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Meetings during the carnival season, particularly the week before Mardi Gras, are definitely off-limits. Jazz Fest (last weekend in April, first weekend in May) is also a very bad time to schedule meetings here. I've had professors structure their classes so that exams, term paper deadlines, etc. would not conflict with these dates.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Around here, planning a public meeting on an NHL home game night is a sure-fire way of making controversial items go smoother.....

Registered
    Jul 2002

meetings in Maine

In Aroostook County, potato harvest was bad. Schools were out for 2 weeks. Deer season was bad too. Right now, don't schedule ANYTHING around here near the Ohio State-Michigan game.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I had a pushy developer wantign to schedule a neighborhood meeting for the night before Thanksgiving (knowing, very few would show) last year. I politely said NO!

I had one last Thurdday at the local Catholic Church. I pulled into the parking lot to see that all the spaces were taken. I freaked out that they were all there for my meeting (as this is a contraversial project), but when I walked in I realized that it was for evening Mass. (Only three old guys fromt he Knights of Columbus showed to complain about the money the church was spending... )
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Though not a regular meeting day, forget about conducting any business whatever the first Friday in May because everybody here is headed to the Kentucky Oaks at Churchill Downs or to various other parties and events with The Derby the following day. Even schools are closed because they can't get enough substitutes.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Other than the standard holidays, nothing is off limits here. But, we do have to be ready to cancel meetings with little notice during hurricane season.

One request I've had a number of times: a controversial project is scheduled and moms from the neighborhood school want us to postpone it because it's also PTA night. Like we're gonna check the meeting times for all the clubs in the area!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Plan Man View post
    Around here, planning a public meeting on an NHL home game night is a sure-fire way of making controversial items go smoother.....
    As someone who works only a few blocks from a NHL facility, I can tell you on game nights we empty out FAST! The town fills up with people who have no idea where anything is and assume all roads are two-way!

The NHL fan around here is not exactly the type that typically shows up to public meetings however.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I heard a new one this year that I had never heard before.
    I was told to bring something back to the County Commission after the FAIR.
    I had to ask when that was!

Wednesday is also off limits here for church. Fridays are out, I would never be ready on a Monday. Thursday is my TV night so that is out. So Tuesday it is....
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Mar 2006
    County Fair time is pretty much off limits here, too, cause we have trouble getting a quorum of our committee members. And our county fair is all about agriculture (no carnies or rides) Likewise, it is hard to get people scheduled during harvest time.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    deer season can be tough here. When I was in school, one teacher refused to cancel class during deer season. There was about six students that showed up and sure enough, pop quiz. The quiz. What is your name? 10 points, class dismissed.

It can also be tough when an Illinois basketball game lands on meeting night. They actually wheel a TV into council chambers.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit View post
    Well, for evangelicals Wednesday evenings are prayer meeting nights.
    Ahhhh. That explains it.

In the suburban areas of the county, most of the places of worship are middle-of-the-road congregations; Catholic, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist, and so on. Cross over into exurban areas, though, and the religious scene changes; the frequency of Baptist, Assemblies of God, Nazarene and non-denominational churches skyrockets.

I'll give them credit for being considerate of Jewish holidays, though.

Still, scheduling meetings can be challenging.

Monday: everybody's tired.

Tuesday: normal meeting due for city/town/village councils, Planning Commissions, ZBAs, and so on. Space is scarce at most city and town halls.

Wednesday: church (in exurban areas). Otherwise, it works in more urbanized areas.

Thursday: generally works, but often conflicts with other meetings scheduled then because the group or committee couldn't get space on Tuesday, and couldn't get anyone to attend on Wednesday.

Friday: yes, I've actually had people suggest Friday meeting dates. I politely remind them that it's the weekend, and that I do like to go to temple occasionally.

I also have to look out for Catholic saints' days, sports events of local importance (games between rival high schools, mainly), and anywhere near a three day weekend.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit View post
    Well, for evangelicals Wednesday evenings are prayer meeting nights.
    Off-topic:
    Evangelicals wouldn't like my town then....all Planning Board meetings are Wednesdays, ZBA is Wednesday, and mos of our task forces meet on Wednesdays.

Back on topic: The only night off-limits is Friday around here. The council even holds budget workshops on Saturdays during budget season, and of course, Town Meeting is a Saturday.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Back when I was in Utah, it was Monday because in the the Mormon Church that was family home meeting night.

Around here now, it is the first full week of October - Fall Festival.

Q. What about
    1. The three days before Thanksgiving ?
    2. The days between Christmas and New Years ?
    3. Monday before when the 4th of July falls on a Tuesday or The Friday after when the 4th of July falls on a Thursday ?
    Last edited by JNA; 16 Nov 2006 at 10:02 AM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

the island of pagans

yipes, I'm with NH Planner - my Planning Board meets on Wednesday nights and it's televised - I hear the meeting is used as a drinking game at the local watering hole

so that's sorta like a prayer group, right

for Jewish holidays, it depends on the make up of the Board - I had a Board that was a quorum of Jewish people, so yeah, we moved the meeting dates around those holidays and it was fine - but what irritated me at the time was I had to meet on holy days of obligation when Mass would be in the evening so I wouldn't be able to go - but as a public servant, I just sucked it up but yeah Jaxspra, I know what you mean!

February vacation week is not a good wek here for meetings because that's the state championship week for basketball which is a religion in northern Maine - the April vacation week is for the other religious family experience, the state swim meets -

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Around here, it can be very difficult to schedule a regular public meeting. With winter coming up, there's the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. In exurban communities, deer gun season is off-limits. It's a bad idea to have a meeting a week before or after, too.

AWANA approved workmen are not ashamed. But why always on Wedenesdays thats what I want to knowtoo?

Registered
    May 2005
    A friend recently told me about a school meeting intended to address issues of cross-cultural communication, the honoring of diverse holidays and a growing schism with some Jewish families over these issues. They planned the evening meeting on the first night of Rosh Hoshanah and wondered why no Jewish families showed up. Oooops!

Depending on the population you are working with in New Mexico, there are a host of possible conflicts one might run up against. Between Mexican holidays, various obscure Catholic events observed by Spanish New Mexicans (in addition to the major ones), the Pueblos (who have a host of Feast Days and other private ceremonies throughout the year), and a smaller mix of Jewish, Islamic, Christian (other than Catholic), African-American (don't forget Juneteenth) events/ceremonies/traditions, there is a good chance you will screw things up at least once...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    A friend recently told me about a school meeting intended to address issues of cross-cultural communication, the honoring of diverse holidays and a growing schism with some Jewish families over these issues. They planned the evening meeting on the first night of Rosh Hoshanah and wondered why no Jewish families showed up. Oooops!
    This is classic! It's not funny, but it is - irony in planning is fun stuff

We had someone (business owner) complain about having to attending a Council meeting held during Rosh Hoshanah and a Councilor said (in the meeting) "hey, we can't schedule meetings around all the holidays, I mean, well, except we don't meet on Christmas or anything......." - all of us at the staff table winced, snickered and went pale all at once - ouch

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Happy Deer Day
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 16 Nov 2006, 8:50 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 31 May 2006, 5:27 PM
  3. How many public meetings?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 2