Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Movies that "hit close to home"

Registered
    Feb 2004

Movies that "hit close to home"

Watched the movie "Joy Luck Club" again recently with a Chinese-American friend of ours. Her parents were from China and moved (escaped) here after the communists took power. We asked her what she thought of the movie and if it was at all an accurate depiction of any of her childhood experiences based on her family's ethnicity. She said the movie "hit a little too close to home." I guess that means it was accurate.

Normally Hollywood has a reputation for inaccuracy, but are there any movies you've seen that "hit close to home" and portrayed something fairly close to what your own experiences have been?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I can't think of anything so - No.

I am not sure there would be anything compelling enough about my experiences to make a worthwhile film. Being white, middle class, male, educated has not given way to real life hardships that can be adapted by Hollywood. I suppose if I were to take up a cause (Aids in Africa, Joining the Military, Environmental preservation, etc...) I could exeperience some Hollywood moments that "hit a little too close to home." But in all of those situations I could quit and hop on a plane to end my voluntary hardship so there is no comparison.

After watching Band of Brothers I wondered if could have lasted in frozen Bastogne. That seemed like an accurate portayal (as good as it could be without actually simulating the cold during the viewing experience) and I resolved myself to the fact that yes, I could.

On a lighter note, Old School was dead on to my college experience.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    "Slapshot" always brings a tear to my eye

Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    "Soul Food" was a good representation of a typical African American family. They weren't as pristine as the Cosbys and not as desperate as the Evans.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    May 2004
    The characters in The Big Lebowski and probably more importantly their interactions with each other remind me a bit of a group of my friends.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I hesitate to say it but the rhythm and content of Stan & Stan's conversations out in the field and on the road sound disturbingly similar to the characters Jules and Vincent (Samuel Jackson and John Travolta) in the movie 'Pulp Fiction'. On one occasion Stan (the elder) actually said the words "C'mon, let's get into character" prior to knocking on someone's front door to bust 'em!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The movie "Grand Canyon" is probably the best representation that I have seen of life in Los Angeles, or at least my experiences living there. It hit pretty close to home.

Emotionally, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind hit really close to home for me. The message I tend to get out of it is that relationships aren't perfect, and that the connections between people are paramount to the little things that get on our nerves about each other. For some reason, the way that they get that message across always hits me hard and then makes me appreciate my hubby even more (he loves it when I watch that movie).

Registered
    Mar 2004
    "Crossing the Bridge" came about ten years ago and delt with folks who lived in Detroit and a rite of passage, going to Canada to drink. It went beyond just drinking, and I can relate to the symolism of the bridge as me and my buddies were on it every weekend, well until we turned 21.

"8 Mile" is another one that hits close to home. Growing up poor and white in Detroit, I could not relate to many of the suburban white kids and many of the black kids would shun me as an outsider. Even though I was not as poor as Em was in the movie, I could relate because I knew many that were. I'm just glad that I had a strong core group of friends that I still talk to and hang out with to this day.

Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Emotionally, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind hit really close to home for me. The message I tend to get out of it is that relationships aren't perfect, and that the connections between people are paramount to the little things that get on our nerves about each other. For some reason, the way that they get that message across always hits me hard and then makes me appreciate my hubby even more (he loves it when I watch that movie).
    i agree with this one...along with Adaptation (at least the first half), Eternal Sunshine really articulated what it is like to be a soft-spoken, shy male, especially when dealing with the fairer sex, and the inner doubts that arise, which make us go even further into our shell.

Several of the inner thoughts that Nicolas Cage has in Adaptation are thoughts that are running through my head most of the day.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Other than the silliness with rollerskates, the movie "Hackers" was pretty accurate reflection of some of my teenage years. It was weird at times to hear things coming from the big screen that I never thought anyone in the mainstream would know anything about.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Caddy Shack, Repo Man, Up in Smoke, and Saving Ryan's Privates (oops...).
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Cole in Mr. Holland's Opus hits home for me. Seeing the parents react to their learning of Cole's hearing loss, the parents fight about how to educate him, the parents fight about how to involve him in their lives through the means of sign language, how Cole grows up from an infant to adulthood, and more are all what hits me hard. It's almost too close to home, but I realize that I didn't exactly live the life that Cole had. I just recognize a lot of things that Cole went through.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Blackhawk Down was a spookily accurate portrait of the Army I served in. The soldier to soldier dialog was drop dead accurate. I've only seen it once and I never want to see it again. But it was a great movie.

Registered
    Aug 2005

Saving Private Ryan...

...or at least the first twenty or so minutes of the movie (this actually applies to my old man a little more than it does to me). My paternal grandfather was killed in the opening minutes of the the D-Day landings on Omaha Beach. From the acocunts my father gathered over the years from the suvivors of his unit (147th Combat Engineers), I know enough of what happened to him that watching the landing scene is gut-wrenching.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Ladder 49
    My grandfather was a Chief in the Detroit Fire Department during the mid 60’s to early 70’s and watching that move is just like listening to his stories.

Gangs of New York
    Realizing that those where the conditions of my ancestors.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Ladder 49
    My grandfather was a Chief in the Detroit Fire Department during the mid 60’s to early 70’s and watching that move is just like listening to his stories.
    Yah, that one hit home for me. The FD here has a plan on what to do in the same situation (who would go to the house in the event of a fatality). I watched Ladder 49 wth my husband, and started SOBBING at the part where the captain showed up at her house to tell her, and as soon as she saw them, she knew.

But, I am a sap and cry at movies - Titanic, the Notebook, etc.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Normally Hollywood has a reputation for inaccuracy, but are there any movies you've seen that "hit close to home" and portrayed something fairly close to what your own experiences have been?
    Hurricane Streets (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119338/) and Kids (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113540/). Both fair representations of my teenage years and those around me.
    Last edited by jmello; 27 Oct 2005 at 1:55 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    "Dazed and Confused" hit pretty close to home when I think about my friedns and I at that age.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    "American Grafitti" might be a flick that hits home for this Bear. Growing up in the mid-1960's, the movie "fits" the life style I was living.

Cruising the burger joints, speakers to order food from your car (and the speakers sounded like crap), cutsey-dressed car hops, hoods, geeks, classic rods gunning their engines as they cruised by.....and that great olde rock and roll.

I was doing all of that stuff. We were cruising the different White Hut restaurants located around Toledo. Our radios had WTOD (AM) blasting what would now be called "oldies" and disc jockeys that all tried to sound like Wolfman Jack.

And the radio jingles were marvelous little ditties of Americana in the 60's.....

"W-T-O-D.....15....60.....you ain't heard nothing yet!"

All of that came to life in "American Grafitti".

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    "The Burning Bed". I just never lit the match...

No, I'm not psycho, just was married to a d*ckhead.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    "Unfaithful" with Richard Gere. This movie came out just after my ex left me and it physically hurt to watch it. (Still does)...Its not a great movie by any means but man does it ever bother me.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    'A Beautiful Mind' hit close to home for me as a close family member is Schizophrenic.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Animal House reminded me of my college days.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    "Unfaithful" with Richard Gere. This movie came out just after my ex left me and it physically hurt to watch it. (Still does)...Its not a great movie by any means but man does it ever bother me.
    I have no connection to this movie, but I to found it uncomfortable to watch.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    You reminded me of a flick that bother me, for the same reasons. "Falling In Love", starring Robert DeNiro and Meryl Streep. Intelligent movie, well-done, well-acted (obvious, with two of the best).

The movie illustrates the hurt.....often unintentional.....that we can put on our mates.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 30 Jan 2004, 4:29 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 19 Apr 2001, 2:20 PM