Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Old Bethlehem Steel Plant Open for Tours Oct. 28 to 30th

Old Bethlehem Steel Plant Open for Tours Oct. 28 to 30th

Friday, October 28 - Sunday, October 30
    Trolley Tours of Old Bethlehem Steel Plant in Bethlehem PA (see more information about this site and photos on another message thread on this forum)

10:00 AM - 4:00 PM.
    $5.00 per person

Trolleys leave from parking area off First and Polk Streets (South Bethlehem)Steelworkers will serve as tour guides
    Rain or shine
    No children under 5 permitted on trolleys
    No advance ticket sales
    Photography permitted

Back by popular demand! Trolleys will take people around the site. The $5.00 per person, 25-minute tours will include the ore bridge, the blast furnaces, the No. 2 Machine Shop, the iron foundry and central tool shop. Steelworkers will be on the trolleys to comment on the buildings. No one will be allowed to leave the trolley during the tour.

The primary purpose is to raise funds for and awareness of the nonprofit Steelworkers' Archives, which was started in 2001 to register all former steelworkers in a database and showcase their lives, stories and memorabilia. The archives will have a booth where steelworkers can register. Artifacts such as photos, letters, clothing and video also will be accepted. There will be story telling under the tent. Refreshments will be available for a small charge.

For more information contact Peter de Pietro, 610-758-9758

Sat. Sept 29 performance by the Steel Choir from 12 Noon to 2 PM under the direction of Beverly Morgan, additional skits and songs on all three days.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Ooh, I'm gonna go! Thanks for posting this. Maybe I'll get my own HAER-quality photos.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Can Drive Right Up to Blast Furnaces

I assume the windows can be opened on the trolley to allow good photos. For insurance reasons, they are very strict about not letting anyone off the trolley. If you don't get good photos during the tour, you can drive right up to the blast furnaces, the oldest buildings in the complex and the old headquarters buildings. Also, there are great views from the walkways along the two bridges that cross the complex.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 15 Jul 2008, 1:44 PM
  2. Hello from the Steel City
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 19 Dec 2006, 10:23 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 03 Nov 2005, 6:05 PM
  4. Happy 30th Repo Man
    Friday Afternoon Club