Urban planning community

Poll results: What annoys you most in the movie theater?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • People talking during movie

2 8.00%
  • Cell phones

4 16.00%
  • Unsupervised kids

5 20.00%
  • People making loud chewing, slurping noises during movie

1 4.00%
  • Ads before previews - e.g. Hollywood.com

1 4.00%
  • Sound too loud

2 8.00%
  • Too many previews

1 4.00%
  • Too few previews

0 0%
  • Long lines at concessions

0 0%
  • Restrooms too far from your seat

0 0%
  • Dirty seats, floors, etc.

1 4.00%
  • Annoying employees

0 0%
  • Poorly illuminated screen/dim projector bulb, etc

0 0%
  • Other: Specify

0 0%
  • All of the above

8 32.00%
Closed thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Movie-going experience: What are your pet-peeves?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I still go to the theater I went to when I was a kid. Small screen, small seats - some have been reupholstered, some need it. The same two guys still work there, twenty-five years later. Honestly, I don't know why the place hasn't been condemned. The building is about 100 years old; someone wrote an editorial about the condition, complaining that the rain fell into her lap while she was watching the movie! Never happened to me. They paint over the stained ceiling tiles instead of replacing them.

Why do I go? It's an independent theater, and they don't always show first run movies. But, the seat price is $3 and they show films that aren't popular enough for the chain theaters. They showed White Christmas during Christmas time a couple of years ago. Sadly, only 7 people were at the show I attended, so they won't get it again.

The floor there is so sticky; I think it's the Coke I spilled there in 1974! Lately, I've seen people there eating McDonald's food; they don't mind if you don't buy their concessions.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat

There's nothing wrong with bringing a cell phone to the grocery store in case you forgot something. I even bring my cell phone to call my wife if I forget something or am not sure of an exact product she wants.

However, there's a difference between discretely calling your spouse in a quiet corner of a shopping aisle versus some a-hole walking right down the center of the aisle, pushing a cart, and blabbing incessantly about some inane, bullsh$t topic. (Hey gotta use up those 3000 Anytime minutes somehow!). Those are the people that I'm talking about: The grating, scenery-chewing gasbags that deliberately draw attention to themselves by spouting off an endless stream of utterly vacuous gossip right in the center of the store. I certainly hope you don't fit into that catagory.
    Holy... the way you describe, I hope I don't fall into that category either. (Actually, I'm pretty sure I don't.)

Registered
    Oct 2000
    OT (sorry)
    Last year my husband's rich uncle took us all to Atlantic City for New Years. I was running on the treadmill in the gym of our swanky hotel and this woman is walking next to me, in her designer running suit, diamonds on her ears, throat and wrist, talking loudly on her cell phone to her daughter in Hawaii about all the money they've won and lost. Finally the connection was dropped and she clicked the phone shut, turns to me and says "Not bad - 40 minutes and we were only disconnected once, from Hawaii". grrr.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    did you then unclip her safety belt and turn up her speed?

At the gym the other day- a woman had her cd player on, was reading a magazine, kept picking up her ringing cell phone, and then freaked when I changed the channel.

I should've offered her a piece of gum to see if that would throw her off balance-
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I saw a man riding a loud amusement park ride with his son, talking on the phone the whole time, and as they exited the ride. If the man is that important, maybe he should stay at work.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Grocery Stores

I have the best one yet...

I was in the grocery (this was when I was single... no live-in), trying to get the Saturday chores done in time to play with the kids and actually enjoy part of the day. Get to check-out, and it's jam packed. Wait in line for what seemed like eternity, and end up behind this woman with a cart full... and her phone rings.

No biggie. She's talking as the items are rung up... Then the cashier gives her the price, and she gets the "just a sec" finger in the air, and continues to talk.

Ten seconds. I begin to become irritated.

Thirty seconds. My turn. "Excuse me, but you're holding up the line, lady..." Again, the "one sec" finger, and continues to babble on about NOTHING. I mean, this lady wasn't EVEN winding down the conversation!

Sixty seconds. I take action. I grabbed the phone from her hand, said "she'll have to call you back" in to reciever, hung it up, and handed it back. You'd have though I slapped her in the face... She got in my face about her "important phone call" and yadda yadd, then I said, loudly, "Lady, YOU need to take a lesson in COMMON courtesy. The people BEHIND you have things to do today!" Aside from a few dirty looks, that was it from her.

Once she was out the door, everyone in ear shot started howling with laughter, with a few "way to go"s... And I swear a few of my groceries didn't get scanned...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Another amusement park... I followed a lady talking on her phone into the ladies' room. I wound up in the stall beside her, while she still talked on the phone, repeating this important message, 3 or 4 times "And I got the chips and dip." all the while p**ing and f***ting. I was tempted to climb onto the toilet and look at her to let her know that if I could hear her "business" the person on the other end of the phone call most likely could, too.

Mastiff - Way to go!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    GOLD STAR!!

damn i wish i had seen that!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by kms
    I saw a man riding a loud amusement park ride with his son, talking on the phone the whole time, and as they exited the ride. If the man is that important, maybe he should stay at work.
    Similar vein - when we were visiting disney land last year, i couldn't believe how many kids were playing their game boys while they were walking around. Not even waiting in line, just walking through the park, totally ignoring their family. WTF!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    GOLD STAR!!

damn i wish i had seen that!

Of course, someday... someone... is going to shoot me for pulling crap like that. I ever tell you guys the litterbug story?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by Mastiff
    I ever tell you guys the litterbug story?
    No, but I'll bet it is Grand! Please share....

Has anyone seen these LED sparkle cell phones that look like a fist full of Disco Lights. Just when I thought the cell phone couldn't get any more intrusive. Next thing you know NexTel phones will trip you as you walk past the asshole using it.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by El Guapo

No, but I'll bet it is Grand! Please share....
    You see, I'm one of those people who simply cannot stand people littering. Call it a pet-peeve if you will, but I'm liable to say something to anyone I see dropping wrappers or cigarette butts, or whaterver... so... set the scene in Fayetteville, Ar. It's a pretty college town, and they do keep it nice and clean.

Well, I pull up behind this Lexus or BMW or some other "I'm bald but please screw me anyway" car at a light that had just changed. The guy has his window down, and just nonchalantly drops out a Burger King bag... Right on the street! So... being the good citizen I am, I slap the car into park, get out, grab the bag and fling it back into the open window. *PIFF* That nasty, greasy, ketchup stained trash went all OVER that car. That's when I noticed the guy was rather large and muscular.

Intimidated? Not me... (well, yes I was, but I wasn't going to show it.) I scream at him, "Keep you ***damned bag of **** in your 50 thousand dollar ****ing car until you find a trash can, ***hole! This street ain't your ****ing dumpster!

I got lucky and the light changed... I REALLY thought he was going to get out and pound me. Instead, he hurled back an invective or two and sped off. Like I said, someday my propensity for doing crap like that is going to get me hurt...

Originally posted by El Guapo

Next thing you know NexTel phones will trip you as you walk past the asshole using it.
    No... I bet they make them so they fart when there's a crowd around.

Closed thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 271
    Last post: 29 Apr 2015, 10:55 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 17 Oct 2005, 12:06 AM