Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Examples of regional cooperation

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Examples of regional cooperation

Does anyone have examples of successful Regional Cooperation in Development, Planning, and Transportation that has improved the entire region?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2004
    MDOT, SEMCOG and AAA have formed a courtesy patrol alliance for helping out stranded motorists in the Detroit area.

St. Clair County has a Bridge to Bay Trail network being developed that will streach through a dozen or so cummunities along the edge of Lake Huron, St. Clair River, and Lake St. Claire.

Other trails in Michgan include the Kal-Haven Trail, the Paint Creek and Polly Ann (Oakland County), and a recently completed trail in Macomb.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    South Central Michigan Planning Council

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The MPO here covers counties in Indiana and Kentucky.
    http://www.eutsmpo.com/home.htm
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 1997
    The Metro organizations around the Twin Cities (Minneapolis-St Paul) and around Portland.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    The Northeastern Illinois Planning Commission (http://www.nipc.org)

The Chicago Area Transportation Study Metropolitan Planning Organization. (http://www.catsmpo.org)
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Sep 2001
    It is debatable, but in Ontario Conservation Authorities seem to work at protecting and planning for the environment.

it is also debatable that having almost no level of local planning /local government in NB may have actaully provided for some improvements in services residents receive (schools).
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner

The Chicago Area Transportation Study Metropolitan Planning Organization. (http://www.catsmpo.org)
    Heheh. Those two exist because the functions they perform at a regional level are required by federal law. They're both basically powerless and "regional cooperation" is a sad, sick joke in Chicagoland.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Heheh. Those two exist because the functions they perform at a regional level are required by federal law. They're both basically powerless and "regional cooperation" is a sad, sick joke in Chicagoland.
    True. CATSMPO and NIPC are good with coming up with general guidelines to follow, making recommendations, and the like. But they do weild little or no power. At least they provide some kind of regional plan to look towards for guidance, though.
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Since I am a regional planner for a planning council, I am a little biased in this. The State of Florida has really started to push the regional thing so I am getting it everywhere. I think it does improve many things unless you have one major city/county that likes to take credit for everything. I think that my regional planning council has been pretty successful in developing regionalism especially since we work well with the other agencies and governments out there.

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    ^ I'm curious about FL, with the MPO's being so small, how is that effective? Such as Miami's MPO only includes Dade County...

But on the other hand, from a demonstration of Florida's DOT web system I was impressed how all the state MPO's have a forum to address their concerns & to share reviews with other agencies.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner

I never understood why Chicago needs two organizations to essentially do the MPO work. It can't be that hard to get together plans, cooperate with wisconsin and indiana.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    I never understood why Chicago needs two organizations to essentially do the MPO work. It can't be that hard to get together plans, cooperate with wisconsin and indiana.
    I think it makes somewhat sense, since it can get the transit projects moving quicker, which are desperately needed here.
    -Steven Tyler

State College Area of PA

The State College area of PA has had some long-term cooperation projects. The region includes about 5 or 6 municipalities. They are doing joint comprehensive planning. They have a Council of Governments that handles much of the code enforcement for several municipalities. I believe they have some joint park and recreation programs. They are working with Penn State to construct some new roads. State College includes 42,000 students at the main campus of Penn State U.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Two seperate organizations means more jobs for Planners. The state has tried to merge them a few times but to no effect.

I don't know why illinoisplanner thinks that two orgs results in faster approval. CATS is on a five-year schedule just like practically every other MPO.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    John H. Chafee Blackstone River Valley Heritage Corridor Commission (say that 5 times fast). http://www.nps.gov/blac/home.htm

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Chesapeake Bay Program http://www.chesapeakebay.net

Focus is on environmental health of bay Region.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    The Denver region does a better job than most at cooperating on transportation, and there's at least lip service paid to land use and development issues. See the Metro Vision 2030 Plan and the Regional Transportation Plan at the MPO's website, www.drcog.org.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    www.envisionutah.org
    and the Wasatch Front Regional Council do a pretty good job.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    SACOG in the Sacramento Region has been working on the "Blueprint" project for about 4 years now. Most of the local jurisdictions have incorporated these policies into their GP's. While I was working there we did speak to the Wasatch people many times for insight.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cynikal
    SACOG in the Sacramento Region has been working on the "Blueprint" project for about 4 years now. Most of the local jurisdictions have incorporated these policies into their GP's. While I was working there we did speak to the Wasatch people many times for insight.
    Most of the COGs in California (ABAG, SANDAG, SACOG, etc.) have good regional planning programs. I'll also second Metro in Portland, which I think is an excellent example.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 30 Apr 2013, 1:28 PM
  2. Planning department cooperation
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Jul 2012, 9:53 AM
  3. Replies: 37
    Last post: 08 Mar 2010, 4:55 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Mar 2006, 10:27 AM