Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Kid's Halloween Candy Inventory Procedures

Registered
    Feb 2004

Kid's Halloween Candy Inventory Procedures

Recall what you did on the day after Halloween as a kid. My brother and I always 'inventoried' our candy the next day and then horse traded each other's candy we didn't like for the stuff we did like. Based on many of your responses to M'skis 'quirks' thread we already know there's a bunch of OCD kooks out there. Get those hands up there....who sorted their candy by type? Candy bars lined up here and suckers over there and gum over in back (heck I'll bet some of us even sorted it by brands - Bazooka in one pile and Double Bubble in another.....

What 'inventory procedure' did you have? Just leave it all in one big pile and grab whatever came up or did you sort?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I sorted it right after we got home. I kept the chocolate bars I liked, M&M's and Tootsie Rolls and pops, and gave the rest to my brother and sister. I hated candy corn and always got a lot of that, but my sister loved it so that always went to her.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I hated candy corn and always got a lot of that, but my sister loved it so that always went to her.
    Which reminds me - I'm sure I am the only kid who ever played with halloween candy. Used to bite the orange and white ends off of the candy corn and make yellow 'buckteeth'. . Like I said, though, I'm sure I was the only kid ever to do this.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I always bartered my candy with my sister. I couldn't stand the peanut butter taffy in the orange and black wrappers.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I think we must have sorted it, but why, not sure. It always ended up back in our pail all mixed up anyway.

I always just took the entire candy corn and put them on as fangs.

My brother and sister are so much older than me that I was the only one age-appropriate for T&T. I got to hoard the whole loot unto myself.

I was also stuck with the stuff I did not like.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    I always bartered my candy with my sister. I couldn't stand the peanut butter taffy in the orange and black wrappers.
    Am i the only person who likes this taffy?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    You betcha! Sorted the chocolate together, the hard candy, gum and the stuff I didn't want. Left the "bad" stuff out on the kitchen table, didn't care what happended to it. Hid the "good" stuff in my room.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Apparently so. I too always tried to pawn off the orange and black wrapped peanut butter taffy candies, as well as the banana flavored and Bit O Honey taffy. It ranked down there with the mint/menthol/coffee flavored hard sucking candies you ended up getting from old people. The other travesty which became clear upon conducting inventory was that alot of folks used to pass out pennies . Talk about cheapskates!

Registered
    May 2002
    No way, I still like the stuff in the orange wrappers. I don't eat the ones in black though, because I associate them with licorace.
    What do you mean I can't plan? My SimCity has 390,269 people with a 99% happiness rating (1/23/2017)!

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus
    No way, I still like the stuff in the orange wrappers. I don't eat the ones in black though, because I associate them with licorace.
    do they still make that stuff or is it like fruit cake?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    X- Ray and if it appears to have been opened or tampered with, it gets tossed. If it is a baked good, we don’t eat it. (Unless it was from our neighbor who rocked!) Don’t eat anything that was not store packaged and sealed. (No home grown products)

Then what was left was put into 5 piles.

Candy bars, Hard Candy, Soft Candy, Gift Certificates, and Cheep Toys.

For some reason, anything with a Blue or Red wrapper would end up back in my possession, while the brown raped items (such as Snickers Bars) would go to my sister, and the remainder of the eatable items would go into a jar.

The toys would get a full 5 minuets of enjoyment before going into a box full of them from previous years.

The items in the Halloween candy jar would be in there for the remainder of the year.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    There was one house on my street gropwing up that gave out religous pamphlets helping you find Jesus. Or as they would put it "some reading material".

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I like sugar and candy in all of its glorious forms; sorting is unnecessary and only delays consuming the delightful little treats!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

I only sorted out the chocolate candy bars from the rest of the candy. I do like the peanut butter taffy, both the orange and black wrappers. Speaking of candy you can never get off your teeth, I do remember a dentist who actually gave out tooth brushes on Halloween.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    That stuff is great! I hope the boy scores some of that tonight.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    That stuff is great! I hope the boy scores some of that tonight.
    I am not a fan, that and raisins! that always went to the old man, because he was the only that liked it. I sorted all my candy, giving the bad stuf to my dad, tarded anything with cocanut to the sis, and Mom require at least one kit-kat and ten other candy bars of my choosing, that why I sorted my candy to find which bars I was willing to part with.
    "A man is what he does in his dreams." ~Camilla Sacci

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Ask Dandy about Candy
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 01 Aug 2011, 6:45 PM
  2. Easter Candy
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 01 Apr 2011, 7:00 PM
  3. Candy Sale Banned to Minors