Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Law student's quest for planning

Registered
    Nov 2005

Law student's quest for planning

Just like some of the others on the forum I am also curious about everyone's thoughts on using my JD for a career in planning. I've read a good deal of the threads related to practicing attorneys pursuing a new career in planning and as a semi-disgruntled law student I'm heartened by this community's responses. I also would like to work for the government or a small law firm rather than a large law firm. However, ultimately I would want to work on issues related to urban development and I am not averse to going back to school to get a master's.

I'm currently a second year law student who would like to see what it's like to practice law specializing in land use and zoning. I have, so far, only taken a general Property course which briefly touched on land use (our professor spent some time going over the development of Takings law in anticipation of the Kelo decision) and I'm taking a course on Real Estate Transactions. Next semester I will be taking a course on Land Use and a seminar on Sustainable Regional Development.

Currently,. I have already called Washington DC's Office of Planning about the possiblity of an internship and they seem pretty receptive. Is there any part of a city's planning department that I should focus my attention on? Are there other Land Use opportunities I should take advantage of here in the capital?

I appreciate everyone's input in this as I do not personally know of many other law students interested in pursuing this field from a policy angle. I especially would like to get the opinions of those who have JDs or work closely with those who do.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    You may also want to talk to the Clerk's Office as they are the ones responsible for the keeping and preparation of By-laws.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Somewhere between Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD
    I'd also check out the The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC), which does land use planning and policy in Montgomery and Prince George's Counties in Maryland. They have a website at http://www.mncppc.org/

As a law librarian, I know that there are many opportunities for those with a JD who do not want to practice law, but still work in a law related field. Good luck in your career search!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 10 Jul 2007, 5:41 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 16 Feb 2006, 12:54 PM
  3. The human quest of knowledge
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 01 Nov 2004, 9:16 PM