• I'm reviewed annually

12 52.17%
  • I'm reviewed every 6 months

4 17.39%
  • I'm reviewed every 3 to 4 months

3 13.04%
  • I'm reviewed every damn month

0 0%
  • I'm reviewed by a professional supervisor (e.g. Town Manager)

8 34.78%
  • I'm reviewed by a civic authority (e.g. Planning Board)

2 8.70%
  • Nobody reviews me, I'm a planning czar and report to no one

3 13.04%
  • The results of my review influences merit pay increases

4 17.39%
  • My reviews pretty much suck

0 0%
  • My reviews go okay, they are a necessary evil

5 21.74%
  • I like my reviews and take my medication daily

1 4.35%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Do you get reviewed by a supervisor?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Do you get reviewed by a supervisor?

i just had my quarterly review - i'm happy to say it went great! phew! with a moratorium and a comp plan going, i am way behind on my other projects and it was nice that he got that...

i like the 1/4'ly review system because the tasks assigned are more manageable and the goals are more realistic

my last town did an annual review with goals - alot happens in a year so you spent your whole review whining about why you didn't achieve your goals and i used to feel like an idiot when really i had accomplished plenty - you just felt set up to make excuses for what really wasn't poor performance so you felt unprofessional - ugh -

so, do you get reviewed and if you do, how does it work?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I had the highest score on the annual performance reviews for directors done by the city administrator. Does it get me a raise? Well, it's supposed to, but the City Council is too damn tight with money. Thanks for motivating me to do my work to the best of my ability--an "atta boy" will only get you so far.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Sep 2001
    It is not permitted by my collective agreement. Before getting into the union, I had a 1 month, 2 month 3 month and 6 month review.

Previous job was an annual review.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2005

woops

Quote Originally posted by donk
    It is not permitted by my collective agreement. Before getting into the union, I had a 1 month, 2 month 3 month and 6 month review.

Previous job was an annual review.

forgot to add "it's all cause of the union" (what movie was that line from?) as a poll answer and i couldn't modify it, sorry -

i worked in a town once where my planning position was a teamster position - that was an experience

Registered
    Oct 2001
    We are "supposed to" get annual reviews. Most of us have been here quite a long time and are thus at our top steps in the salary ranges. So, the "incentive" or "need" to push for review is absent.

I am well aware of my various failings (and strengths, for that matter). As I have no incentive to push for reviews (promotion is unlikely ), why go through the uncormfortable experience.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Annual review per the collective bargaining agreement.

All have gone well, and I've always gotten my merit raise when available.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I get reviewed twice a year in my current job (private sector) - formal end-of-the-year performance review, plus a less structured mid-year review that basically serves to check that "everything's on the right track."

Two jobs ago (state government) - we had an annual review that was supposed to dictate the amount of the merit raise...which was nice in theory. In reality, the word would always go out from upper management that no one was to get more than x% for a raise, so the results of the reviews were always designed to fall within those pre-determined parameters, regardless of performance.

Registered
    May 2004
    I get reviewed every 6 months or so. The reviews are pretty worthless IMO. I have never had a supervisor identify what I could do better or work on more to succeed. Only so many comments of "your doing a satisfactory job" before you lose all motivation...

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Say it with me...Yearly Appointment. My entire job is up for review every year. Hell of a motivator.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Six month review after the initial hire (probationary period), then annual evaluations.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I get reviewed twice a year; what ticks me off is that we don't get to review the boss!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    We are reviewed each quarter on how well we are doing our jobs and achieving our goals and objectives. There is a full systematic approach taken and you have to cure cancer to get the top rating.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I get reviewed twice a year; what ticks me off is that we don't get to review the boss!
    I completely hear you on that one!!! I know my boss' boss reviews him but unless we complain to him he thinks our division is going just peachy.

My review is always last week in October (did someone say trick or treat?). It's a stupid ancient 1-5 points on several aspects of your job. I got a 34/35 points. I don't think I deserve 5's on some of those things but dont' get me started on how we reward people for doing the job we hired them for.

Registered
    Aug 2005

Omg

Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Say it with me...Yearly Appointment. My entire job is up for review every year. Hell of a motivator.
    that's outrageous!

i have a 3 year contract and i negotiated that they have to pay me a year beyond if they want to get rid of me

we don't do merit increases - our salary gets reviewed using market conditions (salary survey, which i hate) - that is, what's the market for this position, instead of what is this position worth to us, or, in a merit situation, what is this person worth to us that's in this position

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. May we contact your current supervisor?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 24 Sep 2010, 3:21 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Mar 2008, 4:09 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Feb 2008, 2:20 PM
  4. Planning staff supervisor
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Apr 2007, 10:30 AM
  5. Replies: 9