Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Report of a prowler in our back yard.

  1. #1
    Cyburbian el Guapo's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Samsara
    Posts
    5,074

    Report of a prowler in our back yard.

    [this is not an alcohol fueled post]
    We just had our neighbor come over (Army Major and not prone to flights of fancy)and report that a large man in a hoodie was in our back yard. He states the guy snuck around for about 10 minutes. The neighbor watched from his deck with his phone at the ready. Then somebody pulled up to our side yard (corner lot) in a suburban and they bolted. Could be an innocent explanation, but my money is on bad intent. Anyway, I released the hound and he, I, Mr. flashlight, and Mr. CZ-52 went for a stroll though my yard. Alles Klar.
    [/this is not an alcohol fueled post]

  2. #2
    Cyburbian Budgie's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Sans Souci
    Posts
    5,265
    OK, I confess, I was just trying to return the change from the rolls you had me buy this morning.... sweetie. As a couple EG and I are so domesticated.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

  3. #3
    Cyburbian abrowne's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    1,584
    *wonders why eG owns a commie handgun*

  4. #4
    Cyburbian jordanb's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    City of Low Low Wages!
    Posts
    3,235
    If you found him would you have shot him?

    (I think the problem is the sidewalks in the neighborhood).

  5. #5
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4,660
    I agree that it's bad intent. Most of the corner houses in our neighborhood were burglarized during August. The community was most alarmed because the crimes occurred during the night, when folks were inside and sleeping.

  6. #6
    Cyburbian Big Owl's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    near the edge
    Posts
    1,531
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    If you found him would you have shot him?

    (I think the problem is the sidewalks in the neighborhood).
    yea sidewalks are vagrant magnents and makes neighborhoods more accessible to undesirables.

  7. #7
    Cyburbian Trail Nazi's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Encroaching on something
    Posts
    2,738
    How scary. I'd be buying some friends for a permanent stay at my house - Smith and Wessen or Glock. Glad to hear that your neighbor had his eyes out. Great neighbor.

  8. #8
    Cyburbian jmello's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Clayobyrne, CB
    Posts
    2,580
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    (I think the problem is the sidewalks in the neighborhood).
    He must have a public bus route running through his subdivision. The Suburban was just a screen, the guy really came in on the bus.

  9. #9
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Posts
    16,483
    [Pacino] Say hello to my little friend. [/Pacino]

    I would not have shot him, but I would have made a point and asked him if he had a reason to be there. All while making it known that I was armed and it that he should not make any quick motions or the appendage that moves will be removed.
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

  10. #10
    Cyburbian Queen B's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2003
    Location
    "Somewhere in the middle"
    Posts
    3,174
    Would have been a BIG mistake to prowl around eG's abode!!!!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

  11. #11
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    ????
    Posts
    1,184
    That is scary stuff. I hada similar experience about a week after I brought my twins home from being born. It was about 3 in the morning and I happened to be up with the kids. I heard what sounded like one of my patio chairs being dragged across the patio. I looked outside and could see someone standing about 3 feet from the window, and it looked like he was making a move towards my kids bedroom window. That's all it took, I dialed 911 and the cavalry showed up in about 3 minutes. The guy had left our yard, but the dogs tracked him three houses away. Turns out the guy was a peeping tom and had been arrested before.

    Glad you didn't have to confront the guy.

  12. #12
    Cyburbian zman's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Tri-Cities, Washington
    Posts
    9,163
    Blog entries
    2
    That is scary.

    We had someone that was supposedly looking into yard (at the fenceline) of my new place. Then he went a couple houses down a stumbled upon a mother and her daughters having lunch! in their backyard. He didn;t introduce himself as an inspector of any type, saw the family and walked back out the front.

    We also get construction sites robbed out here. I guess the house they are building down the street from had a jetted bathtub! and a gas fireplace! stolen the other day. But I guess the nieghbors wouldn't think much of it, as construction guys are all around moving stuff like that into and out of houses all the time...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

    You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

  13. #13
    Cyburbian abrowne's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    1,584
    Police respond exceedingly quickly to reports of mysterious prowlers.

  14. #14
    Cyburbian otterpop's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Down by Dun Ringill
    Posts
    6,658
    Blog entries
    6
    While barbecueing last week I noticed a beer can in our yard near our covered patio, near the interior lot line. My neighbor (a friend) rarely goes in his yard, so it couldn't have been his can. I neither drink Coors Lite nor do I drink beer in cans. I suspect someone was enjoying a brew in my yard while perhaps peeping or assessing mischief, or perhaps taking a shortcut through my yard. There was nothing else awry.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

    ~ Otterpop ~

  15. #15

    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Solano County, California
    Posts
    6,468
    I live in a small townhouse complex (nine units grouped around a courtyard). It is located near one of the local high schools. It's gated now (not very securely), but at one time, I'm told, the local pothead kids would gather in the courtyard to worship Jah via his sacramental herb.

    They still hung out in our alley, because we would constantly have to clean up Chinese take out styrofoam containers (yuck). The School District's gone to a "closed campus," so the neighborhood lunchtime litter has decreased dramatically. Those darn kids!

    Then, of course, my sister got thoroughly burglarized last year.

  16. #16
    Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    9,327
    When this Bear arrived home last Friday, late afternoon, I noticed that my bass boat had a fuel line dangling from the side. Closer inspection showed that somebody had grabbed my marine gas tank (yanking the special hose attachment, in effect destroying it) and a secondary gas tank.

    The Swanton policeman who came to the house is a friend nicknamed "Duck". We discussed the fact that this was marine gas......gas mixed with oil. He said the village and the county badges would keep an eye peeled for a smoking car.

    A smoking car, probably filled with teenagers.

    I fugure total cost is about $36 in gas (and oil), $15 for a new fitting, $35 for a new marine tank, and $5 for the additional can.

    Ya know, if I wouldn't have so much stuff, this wouldn't have happened.....oh, sorry, wrong thread.

    Bear, Locking & Loading
    Occupy Cyburbia!

  17. #17
    Cyburbian DetroitPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the weak are killed and eaten.
    Posts
    6,247
    If I had a Plymouth Prowler in my backyard, I'd be happy. If I had the keys to it in my hand I'd be overjoyed!

  18. #18
    moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    at the neighboring pub
    Posts
    6,001
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    If I had a Plymouth Prowler in my backyard, I'd be happy. If I had the keys to it in my hand I'd be overjoyed!
    That thought crossed my mind as well.

    I have to say though of all the people in Kansas, eG would be the last person a burglar would want to f^&* with! Whoever goes after him has definite potential to end up on a stupid criminal list!

    Still, very scary. I'd keep that commie gun close if I were you!

    "Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

    - Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

  19. #19
    Cyburbian Bubba's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Above urban19's plane field
    Posts
    2,912
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    Police respond exceedingly quickly to reports of mysterious prowlers.
    Yes, indeed. The one time I had to call 911 for something like this (large naked guy attempting to break through the front door to my apartment ), there was a policeman on the scene in under two minutes.

  20. #20
    Cyburbian el Guapo's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Samsara
    Posts
    5,074
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    OK, I confess, I was just trying to return the change from the rolls you had me buy this morning.... sweetie. As a couple EG and I are so domesticated.
    Kisses, and keep the change. You "earned" it.

    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    *wonders why eG owns a commie handgun*
    Spoils of the Cold War my friend. Plus it is a great gun for the price. I've considered starting a foundation where we empower disadvantaged youth by providing high quality handgunds at deeply discounted prices.

    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    If you found him would you have shot him?
    (I think the problem is the sidewalks in the neighborhood).
    No, I would have suggested he leave in a firm voice. He may have never even seen the gun. It was not like I was swinging it around my head. I would have then reported his presence to my local law enforcement professionals. Only under the threat of a direct attack would I have used deadly force. Your sidewalk comment is baseless and shows your own bigotry runs quite deep against those who live in suburbs.

    Quote Originally posted by kms
    I agree that it's bad intent. Most of the corner houses in our neighborhood were burglarized during August. The community was most alarmed because the crimes occurred during the night, when folks were inside and sleeping.
    Indeed, I have read corner lots are statistically more likely to be robbed.

    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl
    yea sidewalks are vagrant magnents and makes neighborhoods more accessible to undesirables.
    As both a planner and as a planning commissioner I am known as being the local sidewalk Nazi, so shove your little jab up someone else's bum who deserves it.

    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    How scary. I'd be buying some friends for a permanent stay at my house - Smith and Wessen or Glock. Glad to hear that your neighbor had his eyes out. Great neighbor.
    Thanks Dear.

    jmello
    He must have a public bus route running through his subdivision. The Suburban was just a screen, the guy really came in on the bus.
    See Big Owl's comments

    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Shame your mom scores more than you.
    [Pacino] Say hello to my little friend. [/Pacino]

    I would not have shot him, but I would have made a point and asked him if he had a reason to be there. All while making it known that I was armed and it that he should not make any quick motions or the appendage that moves will be removed.
    Mike, I love that quote.

    Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    Would have been a BIG mistake to prowl around eG's abode!!!!
    Who knows? But eG's hopes his reactions would always be appropriate to the level of threat.

    Quote Originally posted by cololi
    That is scary stuff. I hada similar experience about a week after I brought my twins home from being born. It was about 3 in the morning and I happened to be up with the kids. I heard what sounded like one of my patio chairs being dragged across the patio. I looked outside and could see someone standing about 3 feet from the window, and it looked like he was making a move towards my kids bedroom window. That's all it took, I dialed 911 and the cavalry showed up in about 3 minutes. The guy had left our yard, but the dogs tracked him three houses away. Turns out the guy was a peeping tom and had been arrested before.

    Glad you didn't have to confront the guy.
    I'm glad he wasn't there as well. It could have been something innocent and bringing a gun into the situation always entails risk to all involved. But, I am also under and obligation to protect my family and I felt I used a reasonable mix of caution and aggression.

    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    That is scary.

    We had someone that was supposedly looking into yard (at the fenceline) of my new place. Then he went a couple houses down a stumbled upon a mother and her daughters having lunch! in their backyard. He didn;t introduce himself as an inspector of any type, saw the family and walked back out the front.

    We also get construction sites robbed out here. I guess the house they are building down the street from had a jetted bathtub! and a gas fireplace! stolen the other day. But I guess the nieghbors wouldn't think much of it, as construction guys are all around moving stuff like that into and out of houses all the time...
    I've had things stolen off of my back patio at other homes. The world is just chock full of people who will do bad things to others.


    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    Police respond exceedingly quickly to reports of mysterious prowlers.
    I've not had a similar experience. In fact I have learned through personal experience to trust my safety and that of my family to my own resources.

    Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    While barbecueing last week I noticed a beer can in our yard near our covered patio, near the interior lot line. My neighbor (a friend) rarely goes in his yard, so it couldn't have been his can. I neither drink Coors Lite nor do I drink beer in cans. I suspect someone was enjoying a brew in my yard while perhaps peeping or assessing mischief, or perhaps taking a shortcut through my yard. There was nothing else awry.
    I found two cigarette butts at the site that were not there the day before.

    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    I live in a small townhouse complex (nine units grouped around a courtyard). It is located near one of the local high schools. It's gated now (not very securely), but at one time, I'm told, the local pothead kids would gather in the courtyard to worship Jah via his sacramental herb.

    They still hung out in our alley, because we would constantly have to clean up Chinese take out styrofoam containers (yuck). The School District's gone to a "closed campus," so the neighborhood lunchtime litter has decreased dramatically. Those darn kids!

    Then, of course, my sister got thoroughly burglarized last year.
    BKM Finding out you live in a gated community kind of takes all the gravitas out of your liberalism in my mind. Perhaps your Ford F-350 (Toby Keith Edition) could be used to recycle hemp for orphans of the Halliburton War of Aggression, but still man, a gated community?

    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    When this Bear arrived home last Friday, late afternoon, I noticed that my bass boat had a fuel line dangling from the side. Closer inspection showed that somebody had grabbed my marine gas tank (yanking the special hose attachment, in effect destroying it) and a secondary gas tank.

    The Swanton policeman who came to the house is a friend nicknamed "Duck". We discussed the fact that this was marine gas......gas mixed with oil. He said the village and the county badges would keep an eye peeled for a smoking car.

    A smoking car, probably filled with teenagers.

    I fugure total cost is about $36 in gas (and oil), $15 for a new fitting, $35 for a new marine tank, and $5 for the additional can.

    Ya know, if I wouldn't have so much stuff, this wouldn't have happened.....oh, sorry, wrong thread.

    Bear, Locking & Loading
    Yep, chock full of idiots.

    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    If I had a Plymouth Prowler in my backyard, I'd be happy. If I had the keys to it in my hand I'd be overjoyed!
    Me too!

    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    That thought crossed my mind as well.

    I have to say though of all the people in Kansas, eG would be the last person a burglar would want to f^&* with! Whoever goes after him has definite potential to end up on a stupid criminal list!

    Still, very scary. I'd keep that commie gun close if I were you!
    Before I left the house, I did take out the clip of rounds that tend to "over penetrate" if you know what I mean, and replaced it with the clip of frangible rounds. That way I could ensure my neighbors would be assured of surviving any encounter I may have had with the demon transit using pedestrian prowler.


    Quote Originally posted by Bubba

    Yes, indeed. The one time I had to call 911 for something like this (large naked guy attempting to break through the front door to my apartment ), there was a policeman on the scene in under two minutes.
    Sound like college to me.
    Last edited by el Guapo; 01 Nov 2005 at 8:03 PM.

  21. #21
    Cyburbian chukky's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo

    Indeed, I have read corner lots are statistically more likely to be robbed.
    Why is that?

  22. #22
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you.


    Now better get out my incognito look.

  23. #23
    Cyburbian el Guapo's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Samsara
    Posts
    5,074
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you.


    Now better get out my incognito look.
    How is paranoia germane to the discussion?

  24. #24
    Cyburbian JNL's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    2,447
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    Police respond exceedingly quickly to reports of mysterious prowlers.
    Yes - and when they catch them, they are often wanted for various other offences.

  25. #25
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    How is paranoia germane to the discussion?
    Some folks seem to think you are overreacting. Even if you are (and I am not saying you are), that doesn't mean you are wrong. It was just humorous commentary in that vein.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Back Yard Sports
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 14 Dec 2012, 12:27 PM
  2. Replies: 42
    Last post: 22 Feb 2012, 3:44 PM
  3. Yard Games & Yard Toys & The Like
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 25 Nov 2008, 1:03 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 10 Oct 2007, 3:09 PM
  5. Fantasy Concert In Your Back Yard
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 45
    Last post: 24 Nov 2004, 9:57 AM