Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Um, I think I'm becoming a hockey fan

Registered
    May 2003

Um, I think I'm becoming a hockey fan

Got 2 free tickets last Friday night to watch an AHL match between the Grand Rapids Griffins and the Iowa Stars. My very first live hockey game at any level. I took the eight year old and we had a great time! Our seats were great - 3 rows up behind the goal - and every time they checked into the glass my son went "Whoa!" The Griffins won 6-2 and I got to see future Red Wings Jiri Hudler, Jimmy Howard and Brett Lebda (in fact, I think Lebda just got called up).

Now, my dilemma. Penalty calls, icing, offside - what the heck does it all mean? Except for scoring goals and timing penalties, I had no idea how the rules of the game worked. This blue line business seems awful arcane. Can anyone explain it to me? Or point me to a good source (i.e., hockeyfordummies.com)?

My other problem is trying to find games on TV. We have DirecTV but not the premium package, so no Fox Sports and no Outdoor Life. We are going to drop the satellite when the contract runs out and go to Comcast, but we can only afford the super basic package (broadcast stations plus the drama of the local school board channel). Any hope of finding hockey on the networks?

So hey dere, dat hockey is pretty fun, ya know?
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005

Hockey Rules

Check on the NHL website for the complete rules of hockey. In more programs (a buck or two at the games) have a brief explanition of the rules, i.e., blue line, et al.

Yeah, hockey is a great game, it times better than football.

Go Av's

Registered
    Mar 2004
    You must move to Detroit or Ontario to fullfil your quest.

I would assume the NHL must have a website or possibly the CBC (canadian broadcasting corportation) would that explains hockey.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'll start with the easy question. Hockey on TV is going to be hard to find. ESPN didn't get the contract this year and it went to OLN. And at least here, our satellite providers dropped OLN in an "effort to keep pricing affordable." Bastards!! Now, I only get the Avs games on our local sports channel. You should be able to get all of the Wings games...email michaelskis!!

Penalties:
    Let me search for a site because that will much easier than trying to explain them all.
    "You can measure the health of a city by the vitality and energy of its streets and public open spaces.”-- William H. Whyte..

Registered
    Jan 2005
    OLN is premium!? I always thought it was standard. I swear I move around so much I've no idea what goes on in that TV box anymore. I don't even have a TV anymore.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I think this link will get you started:

http://www.nhlofficials.com/rules.asp

It has the whole rule book, but you will probably want the second PDF file with pages 85-176 since that will discuss the specific penalties. Around page 48-60 of the first PDF file it discusses minor vs major penalties, game misconduct, etc.

For you regular hockey fans, this rule book appears to have the rule changes highlighted.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by DecaturHawk
    Or point me to a good source (i.e., hockeyfordummies.com)?
    OK:
    http://www.azhockey.com/
    or
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...83155&v=glance

"Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    First of all, we are so proud of you to come out like this. It is a difficult thing in today's society. I know it can be hard road, but you should know that you will have a support group that will help you with your journey in becoming a puckhead!

With that said:
    We will have to go to a game sometime and I can run though things as they happen and explain the reasoning behind them. As for were to watch, Buffalo Wild Wings (You have 3 in the area), and a full cast of other sports bars that have ALL the games! Give me a call and we will kick a few back and consume a basket of wings wile watching the greatest game on ice!
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

This blue line business seems awful arcane. Can anyone explain it to me?
    Although you get the crash-into-the-boards-action three rows back, you might want to try watching a game from higher up on occasion... you'll see where the blue/red lines come into play and once you get used to the flow, you'll be able to anticipate playmaking.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    All I have to say is, "It's about time."

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Welcome, Friend!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Noooooooooo! You are from Iowa!!!!!!
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    Noooooooooo! You are from Iowa!!!!!!
    Yes, but now Iowa has hockey!

Never fear, my Hawkeye friend. I am loyal to the Hawks to the end (the Hawkeyes, not the Blackhawks).
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Yes, but now Iowa has hockey!

Never fear, my Hawkeye friend. I am loyal to the Hawks to the end (the Hawkeyes, not the Blackhawks).
    Sioux City has a team over here, I suppose I should go check it out sometime.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Somewhere between Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD
    I know they weren't the greatest club before the lockout, but the Capitals were advertising tickets to this year for less than $10 a seat. I may just have to get down to the MCI Center and take in the action.

Of course my family in Buffalo remained die-hard fans despite the lockout. Including my 75 year old grandmother who swears at the TV during games. You can take the Canadian out of Canada, but you can never take the Canada out of the Canadian.

Iowa State even has a College Team

The more you understand that game, the better it gets. I love being on the ends about 1/2 way up and watching the play as it develops. It has taken me six years to get the better 1/2 understand why they dump and chase, or pull a neutral zone trap.....whoops, am I losing you yet?

Let's get bottled and watch the ice get flooded, eh?
    Forechecking is overrated.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by CCMNUT39
    The more you understand that game, the better it gets. I love being on the ends about 1/2 way up and watching the play as it develops. It has taken me six years to get the better 1/2 understand why they dump and chase, or pull a neutral zone trap.....whoops, am I losing you yet?

Let's get bottled and watch the ice get flooded, eh?

BAN THE TRAP!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2003
    'Ole Dollar Bill Wirtz won't let the Blackhawks games be televised because he thinks building a fan base would be bad for buisness, so there's no opportunity for me to get into hockey.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    'Ole Dollar Bill Wirtz won't let the Blackhawks games be televised because he thinks building a fan base would be bad for buisness, so there's no opportunity for me to get into hockey.
    JB, don't you know that since the Hawks aren't on TV, you have to go to the United Center (after taking out a second mortgage) to watch the Hawks dump and chase...

I agree about it being bad for building a fan base. How is the city supposed to know about the team, if they cannot watch them on TV?

-Peart

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Do/Did You Play Hockey?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 15 Jul 2008, 9:35 PM
  2. Hockey
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 13 Dec 2004, 9:41 PM
  3. Hockey Shrine Re-Use