Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: APA Planning Advisory Service - can you subscribe to the reports without the service?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

APA Planning Advisory Service - can you subscribe to the reports without the service?

I think I work for the only planning agency tin the United States that does not get the monthly PAS reports. My understanding, though, is that to get the PAS reports, which IMHO are excellent, you have to subscribe to the service -- and it's quite expoensive. Even though we're a small agency, the fee is based on the population of the jurisdiction, which for us is 240,000. That means fees are $795 a year. That's a ton of money to spend for 12 reports a year, especially considering the proliferation of "Look at how local government bureaucrats waste your money" gotcha-style news broadcasts around here.

So, does the APA have a subscription service where you can get the reports, but not the service?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    It is a ton of money Dan, money which I think I can better spend. I will be letting my service lapse. It has not been worth it to me. I can generally find the same types of information contained in the reports after a quick google search (which is what the service will do for you if you call with a question). If I want a particular report, I can find a copy elsewhere or purchase it seperately from the numerous solicitations (junk mail) I get from APA.

I do not know if you can purchase a subscription seperately, but you should be able to purchase the reports you want or need (I do not know if landslide hazards for example are a problem where you are) at a later time. IMHO, the service is not worth the cost.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    I think I work for the only planning agency tin the United States that does not get the monthly PAS reports.
    Don't feel alone, same here.

I agree with Memphis about the cost/benefit.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Never been a subscriber....way too expensive. We order reports individually as we see the need.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    We don't subscribe either. In fact, I've never worked in a place that subscribed. Only purchased the issues that looked useful.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    We don't subscribe either. In fact, I've never worked in a place that subscribed. Only purchased the issues that looked useful.
    Same here. It seems that only a couple of them each year are truly useful, so why spend $500 on the subscription when you can buy the ones you need each year for $40 a pop and use google for the rest?

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I'm going to chime in the rest. The places I've worked has always found to too expensive and not worth what you get out of it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Consider speaking to your local University library about borrowing privileges for their PAS reports? No doubt there will be some fee but nothing as large as $795.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Apr 2013, 2:16 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 09 Nov 2009, 1:50 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Feb 2006, 3:42 PM
  4. APA Planning Advisory Service
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 02 Nov 2005, 4:29 PM