Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mods Pet Peeves

Registered
    Feb 2004

Mods Pet Peeves

I've never met anyone personally who has been a mod or an admin. for any board.

I'm curious if any 'good stories' or pet peeves (and please don't say "violating the board rules") or other behavior exhibited by forum participants make the rounds among other mods where you can give each other knowing eyerolls and nods? ("uh oh, there's another thread with with the word 'Nazi' in the title - how long before we shut this one down? I dunno but I see BMOD_22 posting now and give it maybe five more posts before we issue the yellow card to flakgrl for the inevitable flame exchange to follow..."). Maybe y'all could give us a little insight into inner circle workings.......
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2002
    hehe

For the the folks that pick fights then whine about it when others bite their heads off. Dont ask for what you can't take.

When folks dont give it a rest on a topic, come on something is dead leave it alone.

The religious nut spam we clean up
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    The religious nut spam we clean up
    Now thats what I'm talkin about! We seldom get to see this sort of crap thanks to the mods' diligence.
    I'm particularly curious about the nature of the interaction between yourselves like when you confer with each other on various judgement calls ("hey, Planderella looks like we got a 'witness-er' on the FAC's neverending beer thread. Think we should shut 'em down?....")
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2001
    You know, it my be interesting if the mods could set up a separate little spot on the boards for spam, wacko stuff, etc. J

ust for our edification and amusement.

Not the standard commercial drivel, but the more...exotic stuff.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    You know, it my be interesting if the mods could set up a separate little spot on the boards for spam, wacko stuff, etc. J

ust for our edification and amusement.

Not the standard commercial drivel, but the more...exotic stuff.
    Haha...there's this one board (they call it a blog, but it's not) I go to that has all that garbage. It's for college students only though. More exotic, racist, sexual, innappropriate, and utter randomness than advertisements though.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    90% of moderating is easy. Clean up a spammer's post and ban 'im. Red card the image leecher, and suspend 'im. Yellow card profanity and personal attacks.

The other 10% requires a meeting of the minds, as we converse back and forth on the issue at hand before we take any action. Suspensions and bannings for things other than those listed above takes a real gross violation of the rules or typically acceptable behavior. It's because we work together like this that things seem to generally work pretty well here. Dan gave us great guidance on how we should handle the responsibility, and we really appreciate the give and take that this board has.

Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I'm particularly curious about the nature of the interaction between yourselves like when you confer with each other on various judgement calls ("hey, Planderella looks like we got a 'witness-er' on the FAC's neverending beer thread. Think we should shut 'em down?....")
    That's pretty much how it works.

As for my personal pet peeves - Image leechers, potty mouths, and whining.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think there should be a place to view all the yellow cards that have been issued. That would be interesting. Now that's what I'm talking about.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I too would like to see all the "dirty laundry" before it is washed...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    I too would like to see all the "dirty laundry" before it is washed...
    It could be kind of like a "best of" like what Craigslist has! I like this idea!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Just once I would like to see knock down drag out battle end it’s self without a mod stepping in. I think that the mods do a great job and I think that 99.99% of the time they step in at the right time. But just once they should do what hockey does... let them go at it until one falls down. Then give them 2 minute minors.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I think there should be a place to view all the yellow cards that have been issued. That would be interesting. Now that's what I'm talking about.
    Do a search, and you should find most of them I think there are 4 or 5 pages of results of a boolean search for "yellow card" with results shown as posts.

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Just once I would like to see knock down drag out battle end it’s self without a mod stepping in. I think that the mods do a great job and I think that 99.99% of the time they step in at the right time. But just once they should do what hockey does... let them go at it until one falls down. Then give them 2 minute minors.
    We do let some go through without moderation, and let the offending user "bury him/herself." We only step in when we think there is a real need to.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Now thats what I'm talkin about! We seldom get to see this sort of crap thanks to the mods' diligence.
    Once I signed in when the board was pretty quiet (which happens often seeing as I'm in a different time zone) and I came across these new posts of large images of Jesus Christ, accompanied by by rather fanatical messages! I found the fervour of the messages quite interesting, because I don't often see that kind of stuff! I reported it and it was gone a couple of hours later.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    We Mods have been around here a long time. Most always we can see the train wreck long before it happens. Like the others said, it is pretty much like you guessed.

Pet Peeves; "Walmart treats workers poorly and kills downtowns" It's pretty true, but we don't have to beat it to death.

Do a search before you post, we've probably talked about most subjects by now.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Wev'e got one subforum for spam and deleted posts. Keeping them around comes in handy; for instance, to find a pattern that we need to keep an eye out for, and take preventative measures if need be.

When a post by a new user takes the form of "Hay guys check out this kewl Web site I found" or otherwise includes links to some non-planning related site, it's usually spam. The mods are pretty savvy about catching such things, and other sneaky forms of advertising that have been hitting the message boards.

After a post is moved over to the subforum, a few of us might make some comments; sometimes serious, like trying to find out where the post or user originated from; sometimes in jest. If I get angry e-mails complaining about a banning, I'll post them for entertainment value.

The religious spam can be ... uhhhhh, interesting.

There's another subforum for miscellaneous mod affairs; where we'll point out threads to keep an eye out for, keep track of any warnings, new user names that could cause trouble, and a whole variety of other things. Discussion is sometimes how Maister describes it in his first post. "Oh no, not another thread comparing Wal-Mart to the Nazi Party ... choo choo! Crash!" Mods might also mention when they're going to be gone for a while.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    ^^ Dan, is the Smoke Filled-Room I was denied access to while bumbling around bored one day?

Please don't ban me... it was an accident...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    ^^ Dan, is the Smoke Filled-Room I was denied access to while bumbling around bored one day?

Please don't ban me... it was an accident...

We have a very special place for users like you who know too much........
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    As for my personal pet peeves - Image leechers, potty mouths, and whining.
    What type of 'whining' do you refer to? You mean the type when people call you Nazis for banning or yellow carding? Or some other form of whining?

Registered
    Apr 1996
    What type of 'whining' do you refer to? You mean the type when people call you Nazis for banning or yellow carding? Or some other form of whining?
    Yes, that and things like referring to big brother for mod actions, partisan bickering, or like PG said above
    For the the folks that pick fights then whine about it when others bite their heads off. Dont ask for what you can't take.

When folks dont give it a rest on a topic, come on something is dead leave it alone.
    or

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16985

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    ...There's another subforum for miscellaneous mod affairs; ....
    Cool, I'd like to be a fly on the wall of that forum! Come on, give us the dirt. Wait, I better go back and read the entire reply.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    hehe
    In best MXC voice: INDEED!!!

Not many other things pixx me off though. Sometimes I get annoyed with merging multiple posts, but that's pretty minor. Banning spammers is fun!

Registered
    Dec 1998
    One of my biggest peeves is when a poster gets angry over something or the other that was said in a thread then makes this big announcement that he/she is going to leave Cyburbia never to return. They even go so far as to email Dan or the mods asking that their account be deleted, only to turn around not even a week later, to start posting again or just to lurk (as if we mods can't see them online ).
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    One of my biggest peeves is when a poster gets angry over something or the other that was said in a thread then makes this big announcement that he/she is going to leave Cyburbia never to return. They even go so far as to email Dan or the mods asking that their account be deleted, only to turn around not even a week later, to start posting again or just to lurk (as if we mods can't see them online ).
    Can we get an AMEN on that one! You folks wouldn't believe how many times that has happened. That said, if you get PO'd and need a break, we understand.
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    Can we get an AMEN on that one! You folks wouldn't believe how many times that has happened. That said, if you get PO'd and need a break, we understand.
    It happens on most message boards, too. Most mods on other sites know that the best thing is to just let the person cool off for a bit.

One thing I should say is that there isn't a hive mind among the mods. There can be disagreement about what to do about something.

As for pet peeves themselves, in no particular order here's a few:

1) E-mail notifications that bounces from Earthlink or some other address that chalenge-response e-mail filtering.

2) "I've got my third stalker this year! Can you change my username, and also change all the posts where that username might appear?

3) People who send e-mail asking me to register them for the forums, instead of using the registration form.

4) Bad thread titles outside of the FAC, like "Help!" or "RCCD-EVERRC 2005 compliance advice needed"

5) Quoting a HUGE message, only to add "Me too!" at the end.

6) Users banned for spam who write to ask why they were banned. It's especially fun when they start throwing Cable Guy-like insults around.

7) E-mail from people having trouble with their accounts, which don't include their account name or real name, sent from an address they didn't use to regiater for the boards.

8) "Hello kind sir. My name is Rajneesh Patel. You will very much tell me all about development and planning in your country very much please. You will kindly respond in the most speedily manner please." E-mail mostly, although such posts occasionally find their way to the forums; they were very common in the PAIRC/WWWBoard days. Yes, such questions really do all seem to come from India. I don't know why.

9) Did I mention irregularly Capitalized thread Titles?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    5) Quoting a HUGE message, only to add "Me too!" at the end.
    Hell...that even annoys me..... eliciting a [thinking to myself]"Thanks for the substantive input, dork."[/thinking to myself]

Plus, it's fun to whittle down a long post, and twist the poster's words.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004

Customer Satisfaction Survey #112

Things certainly look different now (ya bunch of no-good, whiny, off-topic, grammatically-challenged, spam-spewing, rule-abusing ...... ).

Actually, you're a great group! For the most part I am impressed at how well folks get along around here. 99% of posts (and posters) are no problem at all. Keep up the good work.

Is there anything you would like to see differently in terms of modding policy or practice in the FAC (or elsewhere)? Any suggestions you might have?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 263
    Last post: 26 Mar 2014, 4:57 PM
  2. Peeves?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Jul 2002, 2:38 PM
  3. Planning Peeves
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0