Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: ITE trip generation spreadsheet

ITE trip generation spreadsheet

The original excel spreadsheet is pretty easy to use. Just put in the sq. footage of a type of building, or number of a type of residences, and it will output the trip ends. This number should be added to the existing ADT to calculate the amount of total traffic impact that a development will add to the existing infrastructure. I hope people find this useful, as I have. It was on the Florida DOT's website a few years back, but is based on the ITE trip generation methodology. Apparently, I cannot attach an excel file, but if you send your email address, I'd be glad to email it to you. You can try inserting this attachment into excel, but I don't know how it will turn out since the formulas were likely lost.

SORRY THAT ATTACHMENT IS JUNK, JUST SEND ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.
    Last edited by ssnyderjr; 21 Dec 2005 at 2:33 PM.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

cool. Thanks man.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator View post
    If you work for government, contact the FDOT. They have a free program.
    I will second that.. allthough you don't have to work for the gov. Just call Tallahassee and tell them you are doing work in FL and would like a copy of the TIPS program. It is WAY better than any spreadsheet, and it can be set to calculate internal capture and pass by. Very useful program and all based on the latest ITE...
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Aug 2005

Spreadsheet - ITE calculations

Put this webdress in - the top link should be the spreadsheet.

http://search.myflorida.com/query.ht...rf=0&rq=0&si=0
    At times like this, you have to ask yourself, "WWJDD?"
    (What Would Jimmy Durante Do?)

Passive Park trip generation rates

Anyone have passive park trip generation rates. You know the parks with trees, grass, benches, a nice view of a lake and maybe a walk/bike path. I can't imagine they draw much traffic, but I probably should account for it, as a small part of a development. Any help or guidance would be great.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    A little off-topic, but I just did an interesting exercise for a development project I am working on. Using the ITE manual, I came up with an estimated range of 46 to 14,880 trips per day.

The ITE averages are not all that effective for many applications, especially when you are dealing with something odd like an ethanol plant.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2008
    How do I get a copy of the TIPS program mentione above by Flying Monkey?

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Smithjs View post
    How do I get a copy of the TIPS program mentione above by Flying Monkey?

You can get it from FDOT or I could put it on your FTP...it is 35 megs. If you ask someone at FDOT, it is called TIPS.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    That FTP site makes you upload one file at a time..... This is not a spreadsheet, it is a program. Go to the link below:

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/planning/...teimp/tips.htm

Registered
    Nov 2005
    that TIPS software app is a GREAT resource, especially considering that it's free! useful even if your not a trans planner.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    ITE Trip Generation 8th Edition is coming out within a few months (Jan 1 maybe?). There's a discount for ordering early. Anyone using the research, especially for impact fees or other money calculations that can get litigious, needs to have the latest.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Received our 8th Edition recently. New rates and equations reflecting new research.

New land uses – Timeshare, Animal Hospital, Sporting Goods Superstore, Bed and Linen Superstore, Department Store, Hair Salon, Copy Store, Coffee/Donut Shop.

All trip generation info for banks older than year 2000 has been removed to reflect the change that has occurred due to online banking.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Okay, gang, this is starting to look like Usenet, with all the "me too" responses that really aren't contributing much to the thread.

Cyburbia doesn't operate like a listserv, with members requesting information be sent to them by email and then disappearing, no longer visiting the site. It's considered poor netiquette for a message board. "Please respond off the list"-type messages are considered very poor form on a message board.

Here's a couple of trip generation spreadsheets from FDOT. If you didn't see them because you thought others were going to email them to you based on a "me too" post here, and you never returned to Cyburbia after you made your "me too" post, oh well.

Please don't post any more "me too" responses in this thread. They will be deleted. Thanks for your cooperation.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2005
    As noted, the spreadsheet discussed in this thread is useful but NOT CURRENT. Any use that results in $$ changing hands is potentially threatened.

I would also note that the table does not go into the detail that is present in the real resource. It basically perpetuates the "black box" criticism that is leveled at the ITE research at times. For instance, it mentions rates and equations for office and retail, but not for the other uses, and doesn't describe the procedure for choosing between them. As an example, plug in 50,000SF of shopping center (820) in that 7th edition table. The equation gives you 4,328 daily (one-way) trips, the rate gives you 2,147 daily trips. Hmmmm, quite a difference, which to use... That could be alot of difference to an impact fee or roadway mitigation, you need to be able to back up your answer.

Luckily for our example, the 8th edition doesn't change the shopping center rates or equations for daily trips. If we did look at the AM or PM results, they have changed the in/out directional split so there would be a difference there.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Thread closed, thanks to itsmrrod and the 21 other people who posted "Email me a copy of the spreadsheet" and "me too!". Yup, we deleted those posts, which contributed nothing to the thread except making it a magnet for other "me too!" posts, and even "me too!" messages using the "report this thread" feature, from noobs.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. TND trip generation
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Aug 2006, 12:28 PM
  2. Trip generation question
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 Jan 2004, 5:18 AM
  3. Trip Generation
    Land Use and Zoning