Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Columbus neighbourhoods

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003

Columbus neighbourhoods

Starting next week, I'll be in Columbus for about a month and a half. What are your favourite neighbourhoods in Columbus? I'll be working near Tuttle Crossing mall. Frankly, it doesn't look like a very stimulating place to live--I couldn't find anything other than office parks, apartment complexes surrounded by vast fields of grass, chain eating establishments, and a variety of strip malls. If I have to think of one feature that stood out in my mind about the area south of Dublin, it would be the word "lots of free parking". So, where are the good places in Columbus? (Good being traditional neighbourhoods, street animation, arts scene, and so on.)

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I hae been to Columbus at least 3 times. I really really like the Short North and Arena District which are right next to each other and surround the convention center. The food in Germantown (I think that's the name of it) is really good and authentic too.

If you get to the short north you have to visit Betty's it's on the right side about 2 or 3 blocks away from the convention center. There are many craft shops and bars up there. If you are up on a friday you can only hope it's "First Friday" if they still do that, they close one lane of the road and vendors come out and lots of fun.

Enjoy!!!

PS. Say hi to my friend Meg for me.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Only driven through, but you may wish to check this site out: www.urbanohio.com

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tide
    I really really like the Short North and Arena District which are right next to each other and surround the convention center. The food in Germantown (I think that's the name of it) is really good and authentic too.
    That's about all the goodness that exists there. There is High Street north of the Short North which is pretty good too. OSU has some pretty good new urbanist buildings going up there. Plus, somehow, Colombus was able to force CVS to build a store out to the corner with parking behind it. That should be a national landmark! Ha! I was down there for Columbus Day (yeah I know, how fitting) but I didn't get a chance to take any pics, otherwise I would have posted them for you.
    'Planning Rockstar in training';-)

Registered
    Oct 2005
    There's just a little bit more to see in Columbus than CVS stores, don't worry
    LOL
    I happen to live in Columbus and was just about to post some pics of the urban city so...

I find Columbus is best for exploring charming urban neighborhoods, crazy nightlife, locally produced art galleries, theater groups, shopping, some impressive music venues, and its own sometimes crazy form of Americana. It's pretty diverse so you can find what you want.

The area your staying in "tuttle crossing" is nice and was developed about 10 years ago. It has more the "new city" columbus feel VS the older city. You will be about 10 minutes from downtown ( or central part of the city)

It is a lot more fun to stay in the older city part of Columbus or in downtown. This is where the most character is, especially in the neighborhoods.

Since you will be around for a while you really need to check these sites out..

I don't know what you like to do for fun or entertainment but there's a lot that's worth seeing in Columbus, especially in the arts and stuff
    www.columbusunderground.com
    things going on in the city, neighborhood info.
    www.columbusarts.com
    speakers, anything happening really it's a great site, theater, dance, film festivals, other festivals
    www.columbusretrometro.com
    cool neighborhoods

The main street in Columbus is High St. (running north and south) It runs the entire length of the city. This is the cities main urban commercial district. Anything along High St. is usually a good bet. Other important commercial districts would be Broad St. (east and west)

Easton Towne Center (impressive new urban entertainment/living center on the NE side of Columbus), Polaris Parkway, and Tuttle Crossing are major commercial hubs outside of downtown. Easton has some cool apartments and walkable areas for a new area.

Here is a listing of the areas that I like the best...

Short North Arts/Entertainment District
    www.shortnorth.org
    The Short North is one of the largest art's districts between NY and Chicago. It is my favorite section of Columbus. The commercial district has everything from great restaurants, coffee shops, bars, clubs, galleries, shops, clothing stores, and lots of crazy people. The short north is just north of Downtown and south of the Ohio State University campus. The area stretches for a few blocks so there's a lot to check out but spread out for a distance.

Short North

Goodale Park

Via Colori Street Painting Festival along Goodale Park

The first Saturday of every month is a "gallery hop." All galleries and stores are open until 10 or 12am. Then the hop turns into more of a street party. The biggest one is the December Holiday Hop.

To the west of the Short North is a neighborhood called Victorian Village, and to the east Italian Village. These are beautifully renovated street car suburbs, cool to check out and walk around. Both are great neighborhoods because they are next to the Short North, Downtown, and The University District.

Victorian Village Picture

South of Downtown is a neighborhood called German Village, a really nice park in German Village is called Shiller Park
    Lindey's is a great restaurant in German Village.

The authentic Schmidt's Restaurant

Also to the south of downtown is The Brewery District neighborhood. There's some okay restaurants here and clubs/bars. These are better on a weekend. A lot of transplants live here in apartments.

Merion Village is another neighborhood just next to German Village.

To the east is Olde Town East. It is boarded by Broad St. and a park called Franklin Park. This neigborhood has a few olde mansions and "skyscrapers" along E Broad St.

The Ohio State University District is north of Downtown. This area some cool local shops and places to check out if that's your thing. The Ohio State University is just north of the Short North Art's District and spans a pretty big area. Theres lots of little record shops and cool all night pubs and stuff.

Clintonville is a neat neighborhood just north of the University district. It also has a commerical stretch along High St. There's a lot of little places to hang out in Clitonville and apartments all around.

Downtown
    There's quite a few places to live in downtown which are close to a lot and close to the other cool areas.

Looking downtown, on High St, from the entry of the Short North.

Buildings along the intersection of Broad & High

Ohio State House

Columbus Gay Pride (I think you missed this one, sorry )

Miranova Condo Building (try to find out if you can meet someone who lives here , they cost between 700,000 and 2million, pretty ching ching for Columbus downtown condos)

Arena District
    On the northern side of downtown is the Arena District
    There's a great fresh market with international vendors called the North Market ( on Park St.) The Arena District hosts a few entertinment locations clubs/bars, and urban chic apartments. The Arena District sits right next to the Short North Arts District. They're packed most nights and especially on the weekend.

Arena District Arch Park (this arch actually was saved from the cities now demolished "union station" train station.)

section of High St. between the Arena District and the Short North

Restaurants of the Arena District/Apartment Building in the background

Looking downtown from OSU
    Last edited by streetcreed; 04 Nov 2005 at 5:13 AM.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Wow great pics StreetCreed! Brings back lots of memories. I've been lucky enough to be in town twice for the ComFest (community festival) and I love the brick houses in the North part of town has such a great "New Urbanist" feel, a city that really should be looked at for case studies (in part at least).

Registered
    Apr 2003
    yeah, great pics!

If there's anyone in Cleveland i'd love to see more pics from there as well.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    The Arena District I was not particularly impressed with. Too homogeneous. But mark me down as another voice for the Short North.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    Wow--thanks for all the replies. Off of I-270 I noticed some new looking housing but, lo and behold, with garages facing a narrow alley and the fronts of the houses and lawns facing an actual street. I'll try to get some pictures this week and find out what development this is.

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Awesome pictures, thanks!! Even though I did not ask, very helpful. I am considering a move to Columbus next summer. Was just there and was VERY surprised at how much I would like to live there. It's solid neighborhoods are really some of the best.

If you have more Vic Village pictures, could you post them please?? This is where I think we might live if we move there.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Very nice pics. Although it makes this conservative sad that the gay culture has intruded on this nice Midwestern town. Other than that, it looks like a nice place to live or visit.

I think this also adds to my belief that Columbus has trumped Cincinnati for the more dominant city in Ohio besides Cleveland. With the state capitol, university, entertainment attractions, economic activity, vibrant downtown/neighborhoods, urban vs. suburban areas, etc.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Columbus is still smaller than Cincinnati, but economically speaking it is the most prosperous city in the state.

Quote Originally posted by streetcreed
    Downtown
    There's quite a few places to live in downtown which are close to a lot and close to the other cool areas.

When I see this street, I can't help but think that this was once a lovely main boulevard with a streetcar lane down the middle, only to have the system bought out by GM, when they were trying to produce a market for their buses...I wonder if that is true - can anyone confirm?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983
    Only driven through, but you may wish to check this site out: www.urbanohio.com
    There are some wicked good pictures of Portland, ME on that site too!
    (sorry, just had to mention it)

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Regarding the question about streetcars running down the middle of streets, the anwer is yes. If you notice there are arch ways running across High St. in a few pictures. These were originally used to carry electrical wires for street cars. Also, almost all of the neighborhoods surrounding downtown Columbus were street car suburbs.

Quote Originally posted by streetcreed
    Regarding the question about streetcars running down the middle of streets, the anwer is yes. If you notice there are arch ways running across High St. in a few pictures. These were originally used to carry electrical wires for street cars. Also, almost all of the neighborhoods surrounding downtown Columbus were street car suburbs.
    That's just sad, IMO...i wonder how many cities regret those decisions, especially now that many are considering putting in LRT in the exact same places where the streetcars probably still would have been.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 12:29 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 31 Jul 2009, 7:56 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Feb 2006, 3:40 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 08 Apr 2005, 2:03 PM