Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Phd in Urban Studies/Planning

Registered
    Aug 2005

Phd in Urban Studies/Planning

if you were given the opportunity to pursue a PhD in Urban Studies/Planning would you pursue it?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Yes, maybe.

I am very interested in pursuing a Phd. I really love to learn. Don't know if I would want one in planning or another field such as sociology. I due enjoy planning theory and social planning...
    Satan in the Suburbs

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

No....

Not in Planning, maybe Geography.....then I could teach and spend more time with the family, start gardening....travel a lot more.....work 30 hour weeks......hey, pretty much sounds like retirement to me.....hmm....oh yeah, and I'd be able to tell everyone how they "SHOULD" do things......

The One stands back and waits for the flimsy nerd fists to bounce off my big chest
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Only if I was interested in becoming a professor.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2005
    i want to. i like the academic environment. but i think it's important to have some non-academic work experience, too. why, are you offering a ph.d position?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Long-term I would love to get my PhD. My dream is to teach studio planning courses in design at a university. Spending my days being creative and helping students to find their creativity sounds like absolute heaven to me.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i'm on the fence. part of me says, "HELLO! you don't like to write, that's all a PhD is so why would you want to torture yourself?" but the other part of me says, "if someone is willing to pay for you to improve yourself and get a PhD why the heck would you not take advantage of the situation?"

plus, i do like the idea of 30 hr weeks.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    if you were given the opportunity to pursue a PhD in Urban Studies/Planning would you pursue it?
    15 years after receiving a masters in planning, I went back to school for a doctorate (in public health). I love teaching, I love having the opportunity to sit around and think. It was a great experrience and I would very highly recommend it IF

1. You are willing to sacrifice time and money to get your degree.

2. Don't be fooled that being a professor means a life of loafing. We still end up working 50 - 60 hours a week. Between teaching, writing and other responsibilities, it can be very long hours. Maybe someday, when I get tenure, I can loaf...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    my BF is currently pursuing his PhD in communications so i know about the time and money. i just like to kid him about slacking off once he becomes a prof.

most likely i would not pursue a PhD if i had to pay for it. however, my university offers a fellowship for people pursuing a PhD. if i could get that....well then that's a different story.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yeah.....

Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup
    15 years after receiving a masters in planning, I went back to school for a doctorate (in public health). I love teaching, I love having the opportunity to sit around and think. It was a great experrience and I would very highly recommend it IF

1. You are willing to sacrifice time and money to get your degree.

2. Don't be fooled that being a professor means a life of loafing. We still end up working 50 - 60 hours a week. Between teaching, writing and other responsibilities, it can be very long hours. Maybe someday, when I get tenure, I can loaf...
    That's why you need to get tenure after the first three years, then its smooth SLACKING (or is it sailing) from there on....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Only if I was interested in becoming a professor.
    I second that

Quote Originally posted by Tide
    I second that
    Believe me I am working on it! Check back with me in a couple of years!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    NO,
    having done our Comp Plan in-house is as close to a PhD Dissertation as I want.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    That's why you need to get tenure after the first three years, then its smooth SLACKING (or is it sailing) from there on....

Man I know everyone likes to kid about all the time they would have if they were a professor, but it just don't work that way. Trust me. My wife is a prof and she puts in easily 50-60 hrs a week. I rarely see her. And she is tenured. Now I suppose if you want to suck at your job and not do anything, you can get by with working less. But the same can be said for government work - right.
    Satan in the Suburbs

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'd pursue the degree if i thought I had something valuable to offer the profession. My grad. degree teachers for the most part seemed like bums who had nothing to offer the field. there are too many people that have a planning degree that probably shouldn't.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Who offers a PhD in Urban Studies? I did a Urban Studies/Geography co-major and most folks have no idea what the Urban Studies portion is all about. It would be an interesting concentration though.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    University of New Orleans offers a Masters and PhD in Urban Studies.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I would love to get a PhD in Planning so that I could go back and tell my students that the reality in planning is much different than what they teach you in school. At least, I would love to do that to my graduate program (which was h.p. planning not planning).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 15 Jan 2013, 12:15 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Jan 2013, 3:14 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Jun 2010, 7:42 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 25 Jul 2009, 10:25 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Aug 2005, 12:07 AM