Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Application blues?

to visit or not to visit...

My current application dilemma is whether or not visiting the programs is important. I, like most, am at the stage where all the apps are in but have not heard back from most programs. Anything I can do to help get in is probably worth it, but I'm not sure if visiting gives you an edge. I did visit Ohio State and Cincinnati; at Ohio State my final application materials had just arrived two days before but they pulled them up to look at them since I was coming in and admitted me on the spot. So I felt indirectly, visiting may help simply by speeding things up. The negatives are time and resources. I will certainly visit programs if necessary should I have good financial aid offers to weigh after hearing back. I feel fairly confident about getting in to most programs and visiting now is easier than visiting later this spring. I have a chance to check out Georgia Tech and Penn in a couple weeks but it involves some tough financial sacrifice.

Lots of factors and no easy answers. I thought some of you folks would have some insight... The main question: have you felt visiting programs has helped your chances of admissions/finanical aid?

Thanks,
    Lauren

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by lauren.amelia

Lots of factors and no easy answers. I thought some of you folks would have some insight... The main question: have you felt visiting programs has helped your chances of admissions/finanical aid?
    Well I have only visited two programs....NYU and Rutgers. I was more impressed with the time the NYU admissions officer I met with spent with me and she looked at the documentation I had brought with me and asked me a lot of questions about my background and such. I also had the opportunity to ask her what I could do to become more admissable and took her advice this past year. I haven't been back but I did mention her on the application where they asked about an admissions contact.

The visit to Rutgers was most useful to explore the campus and what not, but the department was kind of busy with mid term exams when I was there so I didn't get the red carpet welcome. The people were generally nice and helpful and certainly gave some insight into the Bloustein School.

I think that most of us here have financial constraints and cannot afford to be jaunting around the country visiting all the programs they have applied to. For me this certainly true since I have a 12 year old daughter who can't just pick up and go visit a school with me and I know many others here have similar circumstance.

People on the boards here are pretty generous in sharing their insight in visiting the programs so if you sift through the posts you should be able to find some feedback. In my opinion it is a good thing to visit the school but if you can't find someone that is willing to communicate electronically or by phone within the programs; meaningful communication is the key.

Cheers & Good Luck!

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek
    I did mention her on the application where they asked about an admissions contact.
    was it mary porter you met with? she was very nice and helpful. i'm not sure if nyu's program is the right match for me but she left me with a good impression anyway.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    [QUOTE=kjelsadek]

FYI...for those of you considering Hunter please note that they have extended their application deadline to FEBRUARY 1st. So if you feel the need to get one last application in....the only drawback is that the fee is $125!

[QUOTE]

That $125 hurt real bad at the holidays to get the app in, only for them to extend the deadline.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jbr
    was it mary porter you met with? she was very nice and helpful. i'm not sure if nyu's program is the right match for me but she left me with a good impression anyway.
    No it was Bethany Godsoe, the Assistant Dean of Enrollment at Wagner. Maybe I do have half a chance if she remembers me

That $125 hurt real bad at the holidays to get the app in, only for them to extend the deadline.
    Isn't that always the way?
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 25 Jan 2006 at 8:00 AM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2004
    4 down and one more to go. I cannot wait for this process to be over and done with.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by grampafunk
    4 down and one more to go. I cannot wait for this process to be over and done with.
    Keep it up! I just sent off my last one!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2004
    what a process. I went through applying to two school last year and that was stressful. The final one I have left is due Feb. 15, and is going to the school i am currently attending (gota make this one count).

hopefully it works out for the best.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

Waiting Paranoia

Is it just me or is everyone suffering from some degree of paranoia that they will not be accepted into any of the schools they have applied to? *lol*

I thought I would be relieved by getting all the applications off but its just morphed into "Oh my God, where am I going to be next year!"

Of five applications sent:

Rutgers-complete and being reviewed
    Ohio State-complete and being reviewed
    NYU-incomplete but the website says give 2-3 weeks for any status update, I know it's there though since I have the delivery confirmation ticket.
    Ball State-no online way to check but did fill out the little inquiry form to get an update.
    Portland State-can't apply online, can't check online, it's there but they still haven't cashed the application check. Grrrr.....

God keep me sane during this trying time.................

Registered
    Nov 2005
    No kidding. Had a meeting with our landlord this morning to renegotiate for a shorter lease (6 months rather than 12). Surprise, our third roommate is in fact moving out in June -- so in addition to moving expenses (to -- wherever, if anywhere, which is all contingent), there's a month and a half of the third roomie's rent to be covered. Landlord was rather unsympathetic. Cut us a break, man! Agh.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Is it just me or is everyone suffering from some degree of paranoia that they will not be accepted into any of the schools they have applied to? *lol*
    it's not just you. i'm going mad.
    Last edited by jbr; 22 Jan 2006 at 1:50 AM.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    i talked to nyu a few days ago; they said it would take 2-3 weeks (!) to get through the mail and update the web site. i'm sorry, but isn't an "admissions" office suppose to be better equipped to handle the onslaught of mail they know they're going to get around the deadline? the mit web site hasn't been updated since they sent out the preliminary email on jan. 3. and i asked berkeley a simple question 2 weeks ago and they still haven't replied. and the fact that i've seen all these application charges on my credit card statement today just makes it all the more frustrating. sorry, just needed to vent.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by alan_tall
    i talked to nyu a few days ago; they said it would take 2-3 weeks (!) to get through the mail and update the web site. i'm sorry, but isn't an "admissions" office suppose to be better equipped to handle the onslaught of mail they know they're going to get around the deadline? the mit web site hasn't been updated since they sent out the preliminary email on jan. 3. and i asked berkeley a simple question 2 weeks ago and they still haven't replied. and the fact that i've seen all these application charges on my credit card statement today just makes it all the more frustrating. sorry, just needed to vent.
    i just checked my NYU status and everything was completed. It was completed today. I'd check again, they probably worked over the weekend to catch up.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    i talked to nyu a few days ago; they said it would take 2-3 weeks (!) to get through the mail and update the web site. i'm sorry, but isn't an "admissions" office suppose to be better equipped to handle the onslaught of mail they know they're going to get around the deadline?
    I'm not sure since I think I remember reading that about 150 people apply to Wagner's planning program each year which to me doesn't seem like a lot. Perhaps they just like to make us squirm

Cheers!

Quote Originally posted by fructa
    No kidding. Had a meeting with our landlord this morning to renegotiate for a shorter lease (6 months rather than 12). Surprise, our third roommate is in fact moving out in June -- so in addition to moving expenses (to -- wherever, if anywhere, which is all contingent), there's a month and a half of the third roomie's rent to be covered. Landlord was rather unsympathetic. Cut us a break, man! Agh.

I own a house and am worried that it will not sell or will sell too quickly.....god help me!
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 25 Jan 2006 at 7:59 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    i talked to nyu a few days ago; they said it would take 2-3 weeks (!) to get through the mail and update the web site. i'm sorry, but isn't an "admissions" office suppose to be better equipped to handle the onslaught of mail they know they're going to get around the deadline?
    The NYU admissions department did a good job last year with the whole process, and all decisions were made the second week of February, which was faster than the other two schools where I applied. By contrast, I had nothing but criticism for the Portland State process, which sent out admission letters quite a bit later.

So USC sent me an email last week saying they didn't receive two of my recommendation letters, and when I replied in a panic they wrote back and said they actually did receive them. Why???! Its so obnoxious.
    So then shortly after they said my app is complete...(yay!) Berkeley wrote to say the same, finally. Two down, one more for me. Its a big relief to know they have everything, but I am also gripped with the fear they will choose to reject me and I will look like a big loser to all I've told about my plans. Not to mention myself!

I own a house and am worried that it will not sell or will sell too quickly.....god help me!
    I am in the same boat! Might have to suck it up and rent it out.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Globetrotter
    I am in the same boat! Might have to suck it up and rent it out.
    Same here, sublet city, since it is an apartment.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

PSU Admissions Status

Figured this might help those of you who also applied to Portland State....

To check the graduate school general application call 503-725-3511, option #1, then option #5. The people were very helpful.

To check the application at the School of Urban Studies & Planning call 503-725-4045. Also very helpful!

Registered
    Nov 2005
    i e-mailed nyu to check on something (a couple of "not received" transcripts that i'm SURE they have, since the transcripts were mailed out from within the same city and should take no more than 2-3 days to get downtown) and i got a standard "don't bother us, we're busy" form letter telling me to keep checking the status page.

why have a status page at all if you're going to update it so infrequently?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jbr
    i e-mailed nyu to check on something....and i got a standard "don't bother us, we're busy" form letter telling me to keep checking the status page.

why have a status page at all if you're going to update it so infrequently?
    All my status page says is application and the fee received, everything else is not received lol. I am in posession of a delivery confirmation ticket that they did receive the entire packet of supporting materials, not that it relieves any of my aggravation

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Got home today to a letter from Portland State's grad school telling me that my application is incomplete and to send the items listed asap or my app may be cancelled. They need these to make an admissions decision.

One of the items was checked off since they realized they did have that transcript. Okay.

One other was degree verification from my current school, which wasn't on my transcript when those were originally requested. (Got the degree in December.) What do they do for people not graduating until May?

Then we have "Grad Dept Accept Ltr" and "Measles Vac."

I would love to send them my acceptance letter from the planning dept., but....ummm......it's January 25. (Do they talk to each other??)

And the measles. I'm 34 years old. I have no idea when I was vaccinated for the measles, and I'm not keen on rummaging through my closet to find my baby book for a grad school app right now. How 'bout we wait until we find out if 1) the planning dept accepts me 2) if I get any aid 3) and if I decide I want to go there vs. any other schools

before we worry about proving my shots are up to date?

Gah!

Registered
    Nov 2005

Measles Vac."

Quote Originally posted by flaneuse
    Got home today to a letter from Portland State's grad school telling me that my application is incomplete and to send the items listed asap or my app may be cancelled. They need these to make an admissions decision.

One of the items was checked off since they realized they did have that transcript. Okay.

One other was degree verification from my current school, which wasn't on my transcript when those were originally requested. (Got the degree in December.) What do they do for people not graduating until May?

Then we have "Grad Dept Accept Ltr" and "Measles Vac."

I would love to send them my acceptance letter from the planning dept., but....ummm......it's January 25. (Do they talk to each other??)

And the measles. I'm 34 years old. I have no idea when I was vaccinated for the measles, and I'm not keen on rummaging through my closet to find my baby book for a grad school app right now. How 'bout we wait until we find out if 1) the planning dept accepts me 2) if I get any aid 3) and if I decide I want to go there vs. any other schools

before we worry about proving my shots are up to date?

Gah!

Measles Vac is required after you have been admitted and then you accept. That is just plain old weird.

FYI-A blood test form the doc will tell you if you are vaccinated. I had to do it a year or so ago when admitted into CUNY(city university of NY) grad program. I wasn't, so spent a morning at free health clinic to get vaccinated.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by flaneuse

Gah!
    If you are 34 you most likely received your MMR series as an infant/toddler and a booster at 12 years old or so. Since then new vaccination guidelines have been put in place requiring one more vaccination for Measles. Basically if you are over the 25 year old mark you will need a measles only booster which is cheap or free from the health department. More and more universities these days are requiring the additional booster shot and recommend you also get a meningicoccal vaccination, especially if you live in the dorms.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

NYU Application Status

Was wondering if any of you that applied to NYU still have a status page that says "not received" for everything except the application and fee itself? Every other school I applied to has my status marked as under evaluation and the one that has no online way to check told me the same over the phone.

NYU seems not to give a rip about responding to questions or calls either so are we just SOL?

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. What's your blues name?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 28 Jan 2012, 7:24 AM
  2. Application Blues 2006-2007
    Student Commons
    Replies: 335
    Last post: 30 Mar 2007, 3:14 PM
  3. Research Paper Blues