Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Developer nicknames

Registered
    Jul 2002

Developer nicknames

Here are some nicknames of some developers I have dealt with over the years. They're self explanatory. Any more?

Jabba the Hut
    The Weasel
    WALSTIB

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    #### the Florist is called #### the Pollutist
    Baby Man was a developer rep who was so frustrated with us he sat down on the ground and just about cried.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Scary Larry
    Larry the Unwary

Seriously, there is a local developer whose last name is Weiner (pronounced like 'whiner' - and sometimes mispronounced 'weener'....either way, though.....). What clever nickname could one possibly give this guy?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I had a County Commissioner who used to refer to one of our notorious loop hole exploiters as, "DAMN DEMON DEVELOPER DARREL".
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    We used to call the mom & pops who own land and thinking it was easy money to develop it - "IRA" - meaning I Are A Developer

Others in the profession were called a$$hole or f*#@head. (BigOwl, you probably dealt with them too).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    i have one group that we call "the brat pack" and "the frat boys"

but they're cool, actually

i call abutters who have never taken part in any government process but suddenly find themselves an angry abutter "joe-six-pack"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    We have a developer that we nicknamed "Greased Lighnin'" because he's got this greasy hair that reminds me of that movie. He knows we call him that and has a great sense of humor...too bad his developments suck.

We call another developer "Trump" because he fires his engineers when they don't give him the answer he wants.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    Dirty Darryl and Quick Draw

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit
    We used to call the mom & pops who own land and thinking it was easy money to develop it - "IRA" - meaning I Are A Developer

Others in the profession were called a$$hole or f*#@head. (BigOwl, you probably dealt with them too).
    I could imagine who you are talking about

well we have one that Skipper be calls everyone little buddy and we also call him Commander McBragg because of his outlandish stories.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Cpf

We have one landowner/developer we call "Crazy popcorn farmer." He believes that when you have your tv on a satellite dish "they" can watch you when you are watching tv.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    He believes that when you have your tv on a satellite dish "they" can watch you when you are watching tv.
    How else would they know how many people are watching each show?
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 13 Aug 2013, 2:05 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last post: 21 Jun 2012, 4:12 PM
  3. Replies: 99
    Last post: 21 Jan 2010, 12:33 PM
  4. Nicknames
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 51