Urban planning community

Poll results: Are increased gun control measures the answer to the DC sniper?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 10.34%
  • No

15 51.72%
  • It's an issue greater than a simplistic answer of gun control

13 44.83%
Multiple choice poll
Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gun Control Favors DC Sniper

Registered
    Apr 2002

Gun Control Favors DC Sniper

Hmmmm....

I've read some articles about how gun control advocates think they have the answer to solve the sniper issue; but I'm wondering if they have it backwards...

I'm wondering if strong gun control measures and a generally unarmed public favors the sniper?

Is the sniper successful because he operates in a shooting gallery of easy, defenseless targets that can't (won't) defend themselves?

Is it not true that your local PD and easy access to 911 can keep us all safe?

Another point: Gun control advocates currently target handguns and "assault rifles". However, the sniper may very well be using a single shot bolt action deer rifle. His murders have been with one well aimed shot. Such a rifle would be the most accurate and a typical weapon of a sniper.

Seems like gun control makes about as much sense as CSD and SUVs...
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I'm a firm believer in the fact that if you want to kill someone you're going to do it, whether with a gun, frying pan, kitchen knife, etc.

Yes, there are plenty of bolt action .223's out there and it is a good possibility that is what this guy is doing. There have been numerous studies conducted by both the NRA and criminoligists with no ties to the NRA that have found when the number of citizens "carrying" goes up, crime goes down.

It's simple logic, if these two-bit thugs start getting whacked every time they try to knock off a liquor store, they're gonna eventually wise up, or be more careful in the targets they pick (the ones that aren't armed).

The "ballistic fingerprinting" thing is just plain stupid. If you were dumb enough to go to a store, buy a gun, and then commit a murder with it, you're going to get caught quick anyway. Now don't try this at home, but if you were to take a rat-tail file and stick down the barrel of your gun you've altered the "fingerprint" thereby making the one on file useless. Even easier, how about going on Ebay and just buying a new barrel and switching them out?

Drugs are illegal, and they are still everywhere. Take away guns from the law abiding and you will still have guns, but now you've raised the gun trade to the levelof the drug trade.

I think the gov't just needs to start enforcing the laws that are already on the books. Start locking these people up for a LONG time. Use a gun to commit a crime, go to jail. It's that simple!

It is already illegal to kill someone, shoot someone, carry a gun without a permit, etc. Start enforcing it. Think of all the criminals we could of locked up if the Brady Bill was enforced. It is ILLEGAL for a convicted felon the attempt to purchase a firearm. Yet, the Brady Bill succeeded in locking up a whoppin 7 people!!! No what is up with that?? These are the statistics you won't hear from Sarah Brady.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    More gun controls are not the answer. We can't even enforce the restrictions already in place. A guy I went to college with proved it to me when he went to agun show and openly - nothing covert or secretive about the transaction - bought two automatic weapons that by his descriptions were completely illegal. Now, if we can't stop THAT kind of 'contraband' how the heck are we going to patrol the simple .223's that are out there in prolific numbers??

I think gun control is a total joke. The people who buy their guns the legitamate way are the least likely to use it to commit a crime. All gun control does is affect the way that law abiding people purchase firearms. Those who use guns to commit crimes typically get their guns through illegal means.

The gun control advocates will undoubtably use the sniper as a way to push their agenda.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Everyone is talking about gun control here
    and i dont think it would and will do a thing to stop this sort of action

yha so everyone is armed but they are not shooting at criminals-they cant see him and my god what if they shot the wrong person and killed them?

having weapons has not and will not save any of these poor souls that have gotten shot. this is not the old west where you can shoot it out in the street.

yha maybe that gun in your purse will stop the attempted carjacking etc but its not going to stop a terrorist or serial killer.

the police here keep fumbleing the ball-and folks die
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 1998
    All gun controls laws do is keep relatively normal people like me from making impulse gun purchases. I'm willing to be that most of the guns on the street are illegal anyway. I can't imagine a "two-bit thug" acquiring a gun through the proper means.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2002
    NO!!!!

Stronger action after the fact....DEATH PENALTY!!!!!

Registered
    Oct 2001

Bravo!

Everyone of you gets a Golden el Guapo post award for rational thinking.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Planderella
    All gun controls laws do is keep relatively normal people like me from making impulse gun purchases. I'm willing to be that most of the guns on the street are illegal anyway. I can't imagine a "two-bit thug" acquiring a gun through the proper means.
    That reminds me of my favorite Homer Simpson line, when he goes to the gun shop:

"I have to wait three days?! Awwww..... But I might not be mad in three days."

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I used to be a big fan of the death penalty till i had to prepare a white paper on both sides for a debate-and until DNA has set so many innocent people free.

it bothers me, moraly it bothers me to know we have sent to folks to jail-to die for crimes they did not do.

i donno if the legal system were overhauled and ever slightly fair i might be more pro death but right now i cant honestly say i support it.

my G*d has not given me the ability to see and know for sure if someone was guilty or to take another mans life. i know others here will disagree but i personaly could not do it.

but then again the sniper-well i wish he would just take his own life or the cops shoot him and be done with it

its a quandry i have no easy answers to-but thats how i know im a fair and rational human being and not an animal.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by bturk

That reminds me of my favorite Homer Simpson line, when he goes to the gun shop:

"I have to wait three days?! Awwww..... But I might not be mad in three days."
    Ah... my very favorite Simpsons episode!

As for the death penalty. In theory, I am all in favor.... however, in practice, I agree with Danie. It makes me physically ill when I hear of innocent people who have paid with their lives for crimes they didn't commit. I just don't think that even 1 innocent life for 100 guilty is an acceptable margin.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I'll wade in as a canadian, who has gun control and it does not stop murder.

Two examples both done with legal guns in small communities.

1) Argumant over poaching. person accused goes home, saws off shot gun, returns and kills the game warden. Alcohol was a factor, but the gun was legal.

2) Murder around the corner from my house. Family dispute goes terribly wrong. dead husband. Legal guns

Both of these examples are from rural areas where people know what guns do and how to use them. The guns were both legally acquired and registered, for a long period of time in the first example.

With the last bought of gun legislation my family has disposed of all of our guns, including 150 year old family shotguns as the infringement on our rights outweighed our enjoyment and use of the firearms.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by KMateja

Ah... my very favorite Simpsons episode!

As for the death penalty. In theory, I am all in favor.... however, in practice, I agree with Danie. It makes me physically ill when I hear of innocent people who have paid with their lives for crimes they didn't commit. I just don't think that even 1 innocent life for 100 guilty is an acceptable margin.
    And yet, we like to believe that we have one of the most refined legal systems in the world. It will be intersting how history portrays America in the 19th - 21st centuries.

Registered
    Dec 1998

The Dealth Penalty is NOT the Answer!!!

If a person is crazy enough to kill innocent people, apparently just for the sake of doing so, you think he's going to care whether or not his ass fries in chair once found guilty in a court of his peers (if there is such a thing...where are you going to find 12 morally corrupt, unstable people just like him to participate in jury duty)??
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2001

Re: The Dealth Penalty is NOT the Answer!!!

Originally posted by Planderella
    If a person is crazy enough to kill innocent people, apparently just for the sake of doing so, you think he's going to care whether or not his ass fries in chair once found guilty in a court of his peers (if there is such a thing...where are you going to find 12 morally corrupt, unstable people just like him to participate in jury duty)??
    I look at the death penalty this way....at least we the taxpayers, don't have to feed him/her, take care of their medical expenses, etc. for the rest of their natural life.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    no but they rott on death row for 10 years or more and tie up the courts with appeals and get all kinds of beniffits to boot

i dont get it

Registered
    Jul 2002

On the other hand...

Originally posted by Mike DeVuono
    It's simple logic, if these two-bit thugs start getting whacked every time they try to knock off a liquor store, they're gonna eventually wise up, or be more careful in the targets they pick (the ones that aren't armed).
    I just don't think two-bit thugs use that kind of logic; actually, they usually employ none.

Shouldn't we be more frightened of a DC metro area, for example, where everyone is armed and starts to take the law into their own hands? Thirteen people have been shot so far; how many more would've been shot because a guy in the Home Depot parking lot thought another guy was about to shoot him, and he was just loading some 2x4s in his pickup? How many more would've been shot because a guy at the gas station saw some rustling in the nearby woods, and a kid was walking the dog? I can't see that aspect of what works in rural areas working in metro areas.

I don't know; I'm comfortable with it being difficult for rational people to own guns, because it's not rational people who are the problem. I also recognize that if we restrict gun ownership we contribute to an explosion of the gun black market and hurt most the people who choose to own and use guns responsibly (hunting, target shooting, etc.). And in the end, we would become easier targets.

Registered
    Dec 2001

Re: On the other hand...

Originally posted by pete-rock

How many more would've been shot because a guy in the Home Depot parking lot thought another guy was about to shoot him, and he was just loading some 2x4s in his pickup? How many more would've been shot because a guy at the gas station saw some rustling in the nearby woods, and a kid was walking the dog?
    Going a little off the deep end don't you think??

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: On the other hand...

Originally posted by pete-rock
    And in the end, we would become easier targets.
    Let's go off the deep end from the other side of the pool, shall we...

"The font of freedom is from the end of a gun in the hands of a free citizen.
    - el Guapo 2002

"Gun control or freedom - Pick one"
    - el Guapo 2002

"I'd rather be on a airplane where every citizen had an Uzi than where four guys have box cutters."
    - el Guapo 2002

"An armed society is a safe society"
    - el Guapo 2002

"Too many people are too quick to call for the surrender of their freedoms at the first hint of danger. These people are more dangerous to a free society than the sniper. He only has one vote."
    - el Guapo 2002

Nutty enough for ya?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The question in the name of the thread and the question on the poll itself don't match, so I voted yes-gun control favors the sniper, when the answer is no-more gun control couldn't prevent the sniper...

I personally don't think that arming the victims would have saved them. I don't think the sniper would have been unable to escape if bystanders had been armed.

I do think that maybe, by this time, the sniper may have been hit.

The problem with arming everyone and in dealing with a sniper attack is that the sniper's location and identity isn't immediately obvious to witnesses, unless they just happened to be looking the right way at the right time.

So, the sniper fires, someone dies. Everyone nearby draws a gun and starts looking for the shooter...

Who looks like a shooter? Everyone with a gun drawn!

Perhaps someone would spot and fire at the sniper, but the odds are just as good that an innocent might be mistaken for the sniper and shot.

Arming everyone might help, but it is just as likely that the bodycount would go even higher due to cases of mistaken identity while the sniper continues to operate from concealed positions and escape.

Arming everyone is more effective in detering more mundane crimes than in dealing with a sniper threat.

Gun Nuts

I do not understand, with the exception of hunters, why people (moslty white males w/ military background) collect and are obsessed with guns. WTF is it with you guys? Why do you have to have multitudes of weapons? You should hear some of you quoting gun makes and models with their specifications.

El Gaupo forgot one of his famous quotes. It was something like "such and such type of gun fired from x yards will turn a human head into red mist." Why are you saying this? This is the type of thinking that these killers have.

I agree that gun control wouldn't have stopped this DC person. The problem is this obsession with guns, and the warped logic that we all need them at all times. This serial freaks can pass off their arsenal as a hobby right up until they go haywire.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: Gun Nuts

Originally posted by mugbub1
    El Gaupo forgot one of his famous quotes. It was something like "such and such type of gun fired from x yards will turn a human head into red mist." Why are you saying this?
    Because it is true. Iíve seen it happen. I don't give a flying monkey's ass it they donít like me for saying it.

I view my role as an educator. I try to present to the anti-gun crowd a distilled version of my belief that the only way to guarantee a free people their freedom is to put up with the burden of an armed citizenry. A disarmed people soon suffer genocide. Some people now think they are too sophisticated these days to need to defend themselves against a variety of criminal and governmental threats. I deliver the message that freedom has a price. A disarmed person is a subject, not a citizen.

The government and the people occasionally need to re-learn the lessons of the African Slaves, the Khmer Rouge, Waco, Kent State, Krystalnacht....
    http://www.donkates.com/genocide.html
    http://www.universalway.org/guncontroltable.html

Registered
    Apr 2002

Re: Gun Nuts

Originally posted by mugbub1
    I do not understand, with the exception of hunters, why people (moslty white males w/ military background) collect and are obsessed with guns.
    Well I do not understand, with the exception of farmers, why people (delete racial/ethnic stereotype) collect and are obsessed with growing vegetables/flowers.

Well I do not understand, with the exception of professional photographers, why people (delete racial/ethnic stereotype) collect and are obsessed with cameras.

Well I do not understand, with the exception of bankers, why people (delete racial/ethnic stereotype) collect and are obsessed with coins.

Well I do not understand, with the exception of librarians, why people (delete racial/ethnic stereotype) collect and are obsessed with books.

Well I do not understand, with the exception of Lance Armstrong, why people (delete racial/ethnic stereotype) collect and are obsessed with bicycles.

Well I do not understand, with the exception of musicians, why people (delete racial/ethnic stereotype) collect and are obsessed with music CDs.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

I am just sooo confused,

or could it be a H-O-B-B-Y...

Where is Mastiff when we need him?
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    As a com-symp liberal (just kidding) I will still have to say "No" to more gun control. Too late. There are too many weapons already out there, and we have relatively porous borders.

"Education" is not the answer either. Some people and their progency are just genetically predestined to "accidentally" do themselves in. (God, am I cranky. Post-vacation blues.)

Plus, I like the idea of an armed citizenry. Now that the Ashcroft crowd is in power, I may need someday to join a guerilla army (just kidding, FBI Internet monitors).

Although, Runner, I might point out that not many "hobbies" are dedicated solely to devices whose sole purpose (except for hunters) is to kill human beings. There is a difference.

Note that I agree with you that more regs are not the answer. But, I myself cannot understand the gun collecting passion either.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 21 Nov 2006 at 2:47 PM.

People collect things like samuri swords and military knives and nobody calls them kinve or sword nuts. My grandpa collects guns and uses them for neither killing nor hunting. He has used them at a shooting range and he displays them in a locked cabinet. Almost all of them appreciate in value too. Many are collectors items. That being said, I would never think of my grandpa as "obsessed" with guns. He is just interested in rare, hard to find, and unique guns.

While I do not own any guns (ok, I have a bb/pellet gun) and I do not have any interest in collecting guns or hunting, I do not think that people who collect guns as a hobby should be labeled as freaks. The freaks are the people who use guns to kill people, threaten people, rob people, or intimidate people. It is a way overused cliche, but guns don't kill people, people kill people. Gun control accomplishes nothing.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Erosion control
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Aug 2010, 2:02 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 22 Sep 2006, 9:52 AM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last post: 31 May 2006, 4:11 PM