Urban planning community

Poll results: Are increased gun control measures the answer to the DC sniper?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 10.34%
  • No

15 51.72%
  • It's an issue greater than a simplistic answer of gun control

13 44.83%
Multiple choice poll
Closed thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gun Control Favors DC Sniper

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by jtfortin
    People collect things like samuri swords and military knives and nobody calls them kinve or sword nuts.
    I do!

OT: I have a WWII German Officers Dagger in great condition with the velvet chord and tassles inatct. Found it in grandpa's garage rafters when we cleared out the estate. No one knows where he got it (he wasnt in the European theater). I have heard various stories about the legality of possessing these things. eBay will not accept postings for them. Anyone know where to get value estimates on German war artifacts?

Registered
    Oct 2001

Dude!

Totally legal to posses unless they are stolen. Kicking a county's ass and taking their weapons doesn’t count as stealing. eBay won't accept them because the sale of NAZI memorabilia is prohibited in Germany, France and I think Israel and various other liability issues involved with weapons. There is a thriving market for those items. Just get on the net and search.

I recovered a NAZI fork and twenty bayonets once when digging up a machinegun nest/ordnance cache in Germany. American Army officers stole the bayonetes as I was digging them up. Pukes

http://www.german-militaria.co.uk/
    http://www.kentucky-museum.com/milit..._war_booty.htm
    It looks like it might be worth something.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    There is a big difference between gun collectors and people who just own guns. Some can be exquisitely detailed and outstanding examples of craftsmanship. Antiques carry with them the story of there eras. These are responsible gun owners. How many times have you heard of a $10,000 gun, or a civil war era musket used in an armed robbery?

Marksmanship is a legitimate sport. I am not a hunter but I do enjoy shooting. That is why I own guns.

I do not believe there is a very credible argument to be made that an armed populace will prevent tyranny. The rounds from my .22, .357, .45 or shotgun are not even going to dent a Bradley, much less an M-1 Abrahms tank though I suspect it might rile them enough to turn their .30 or .50 cal machine guns, TOWs, grenade launchers, mortars, or other weapons on me.

More innocent people are probably killed or injured by people by people defending themselves than actual outlaws. Let people walk around armed? I don't think that will affect criminals so much, but a lot of the idiots who will carry around guns will be more than a little trigger happy.

The solution isn't banning guns. There are too many people who use them legitimately and they have the constitutional right to do so. Gun owners need to be responsible people. Those who abuse guns (including criminals) need to be dealt with harshly.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Dude!

Originally posted by El Guapo
    Totally legal to posses unless they are stolen. Kicking a county's ass and taking their weapons doesn’t count as stealing. eBay won't accept them because the sale of NAZI memorabilia is prohibited in Germany, France and I think Israel and various other liability issues involved with weapons. There is a thriving market for those items. Just get on the net and search.

I recovered a NAZI fork and twenty bayonets once when digging up a machinegun nest/ordnance cache in Germany. American Army officers stole the bayonetes as I was digging them up. Pukes

http://www.german-militaria.co.uk/
    http://www.kentucky-museum.com/milit..._war_booty.htm
    It looks like it might be worth something.
    THIS IS IT:
    Army Officer's Dagger By Paul Weyersberg & Co. Early Model with Orange grip. Original hanger. Excellent. Price: $600.00

Registered
    Oct 2001
    You guys all have a good argument. Michael: I agree that a few citizens armed with 22s will not stop tyranny. But, I still do believe in the right of self-=defense, despite the accidents and idiocies.

I'll grant the arguments about craftsmanship. There are some collectors I have known that are a little too interested in "stopping power" and the like. Those people bug me a little bit.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by Michael Stumpf
    I do not believe there is a very credible argument to be made that an armed populace will prevent tyranny. The rounds from my .22, .357, .45 or shotgun are not even going to dent a Bradley, much less an M-1 Abrahms tank though I suspect it might rile them enough to turn their .30 or .50 cal machine guns, TOWs, grenade launchers, mortars, or other weapons on me.
    Most revolutions are started, fought and completed by people with inferior weapons. The Irish have fought the Brits to the negotiating table with AKs and less. Other examples loom large - anemly our own. Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot all initiated gun contol programs first before the genocide started.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    BKM i just saw your sig file

lol being a planner in Fairfax i am about to fall out of my chair laughing

how did you KNOW that?

Fairfax=hell
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'm not sure where I saw the news story. , but it is a classic! If I remember, the city denied a Use Permit or something to a church, hence the fire and brimstone.

My Planning Degree is actually from UVa, so I am somewhat familiar with that great "architectural asteroid belt" known to the world as Northern Virginia. Northern Virginia was my introduction to subdivisions consisting of 200 identical "Colonial" ranchers built of pressboard and vinyl siding for $200K.

At least you guys don't pave and sound-wall EVERYTHING, like out here. And, there are other colors than "brown" in the landscape. God, we need rain.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    umm you have not been here in a while

Maryland is soundwalling the hell out of 495 from bridge to bridge-but at least they put some nice landscape between it and the road.

i hate sound walls personaly
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

     
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wait a friggin' minute here. Wanton slaughter has paralyzed the DC area for the better part of a month because of a madman with a high-powered sniper rifle. And only THREE people in this forum think controls which would...

a. keep deadly firearms out of the hands of whack-jobs like this one

b. license, catalog, fingerprint, body-cavity-check and otherwise know everything about this whack-job and his new gun

c. generally keep these weapons out of the hands of ANYbody

...are a good idea?

I'm aghast! I better get home and eat some candy.

Happy Halloween!

Closed thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Erosion control
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Aug 2010, 1:02 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 22 Sep 2006, 8:52 AM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last post: 31 May 2006, 3:11 PM