Urban planning community

Poll results: Where do you work?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have my own office (I'm special -neener, neener)

34 50.75%
  • I'm a cubicle dweller

21 31.34%
  • I share an office with others

4 5.97%
  • I work in a big room where everyone has desks.

6 8.96%
  • I have a laptop set up in a bar/coffee shop.

0 0%
  • Other

2 2.99%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Planner's Office (where do you work?)

Registered
    May 2004

The Planner's Office (where do you work?)

I'm curious what percentage of planners here work in their own office or a cubicle or share an office, or just have desks in a large room - or something entirely different (like an outhouse perhaps?)

I was attempting to do this as a poll- but apparantly I do not know what I am doing (not really surprising).

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I have my own cubicle.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have an office. It's become a little more cluttered since this pic was taken after I moved in.

Here's the couple of months later pic.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 03 Nov 2005 at 9:00 PM.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have my own office. Two of my walls are windows, so sometimes I feel like I'm an animal at the zoo.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have a huge cubicle; but, no windows.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I have a huge cubicle; but, no windows.
    Nope, no windows.

Hell, your cube is nearly as big as my office. But I have a door (including the exterior exit door (sweet)), windows and walls to the ceiling.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I've got a small office -- about 7X10 feet. But most importantly, I have a functioning window and a door.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I was just talking to someone about this.

Intern office

Large office overlooking a urban park on the 8th floor... then the guy comes back to work and i move to the intern office which is the same place that old equipment was stored in until they got two visiting planners from poland then i rotated between confrence rooms.

first job

Walls not quite all the way up to the ceiling and no light switch well not one that works never did figure out what it went to. During my notice they brought a contracter in and expaned the office and put in walls all the way up to the ceiling and a light and light switch because as they said "no one would want a office like it was" WTH

Current Job

Walls and light switch. No windows but their are plans to move to the 2nd floor and if that would happen i would have a window.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Interior office; not a cubicle and no window, but I do have a brick wall.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    My question is: does level of privacy directly relate to amount of time spent in FAC?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Internship (city government) - had a desk up against the wall at the end of a hallway. The area under the desk where my legs should have gone was used to store boxes, so I had to sort of hang off the edge of my chair and lean forward to get any work done (luckily I have long arms ).

Working for the State - shared an office, which wasn't too bad. I was in a huge room at the back corner of the building, so we had two full walls of windows looking out into some woods. The room was split into thirds - I had a third, as did a co-worker; the other third was used as a file and layout area for my group. I had the back third of the room, and there were enough file cabinets that there was a literal maze you had to walk through to get to my desk. I could hear folks coming a mile off (except for my boss's boss, who had a knack for suddenly just materializing next to my desk).

Previous private sector job - had what was considered by the firm to be an office, but, since the walls only went up five feet (they were too cheap to re-route the HVAC ducts correctly during the build-out of that portion of the office, so they couldn't completely enclose that room), it was just a glorified cube.

Current job - nice office, overlooks the courtyard behind the building.

Quote Originally posted by chukky
    My question is: does level of privacy directly relate to amount of time spent in FAC?
    Yep - the computer monitors for the folks in cubes arond here generally face out towards the cube entry and the hall, so they are generally very cautious about their 'net-surfing activities. I have no such worries...

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Have my own office now (since September 19 when we moved into the new Town Hall) for the first time in my career. Previously shared space with the Department Secretary.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Old job... interior office of a mall that was converted into public office buildings. No windows in the entire office, not just mine.

New job... a smaller office with two windows and a decent view.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'm a cube dweller. And to make things worse it is in the basement, opps I mean "lower level" If they hear people say basement they remind us it is the "lower level" Not if that ain't lame I don't know what is.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I have a corner office. The bummer part of it is, they bricked in the windows in the 1980's to save on heating costs

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Right now, I'm sharing a converted conference room (no windows) with another planner.

In our temporary place, I will have a cube with a window.

Then once our new Village Hall is built, I will have a 150sqft office with south facing windows on the second floor. Yeah....I just have to wait 2 years.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Be Careful What You Wish For . . .

My office is about 8' x 18' but I have no door. I have a large window wall with fixed lights that face west. Yesterday and Wednesday the temps got into the high 70s and the solar heat gain had my office temp at 88F Of course, the AC was not working because it is November.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Feb 2005
    i am in a wonderful 8' X 10' Cubicle

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Basement private office, north and west facing windows. With myself as the only staff (last day), there are 4 rooms in the department.

On the way to Sarpy County sunday, will be back in the loop around the 15th.

Have a good all, and wish me luck and success in the new position.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I have my own office, but I recently moved down in office size so that two people could go in my old one. Our building is a year old and we are already out of space. That is what happens when you let John Q Six-Pack design your building instead of getting staff input.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I have it good!!! We work in an old converted Elk's Club building circa. 1925. I share a 20'X15' office with my counterpart and best coworker I could ask for, we laugh and help each other get through the day, it's kinda sad when he's not in... *sniff sniff*. The best part of the office is we each have exactly a half. The door is in the center of the wall and you walk in to see book cases stacked back to back with our plans and files on them. We sit with our backs to each other on opposite corners.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I share an office with another planner. I have plenty of room and a window that faces Mt. Helena. Can't really complain.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

does this door lock?

i have a corner office facing the street - i can hear what's going on in the outer office at the front desk but they can't see in well enough to see if i'm here or not -

when i first started out in the private sector i was mostly in the cubicle zone - we called them pods - it was fine becasue i had no one across from me but on other sdies with a higher wall - as you can tell from my postings, i am easily distracted...

i also once worked at a firm in a large room with desks positioned like a classroom/studio which was alot of fun because i was young and so was everyone in the firm and we got along famously so it was really one big party

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I have my own office but no window

If & when we relocate our offices, I will have a large cube with a window.

(I must admit I love having a door that I can close if needed...)

Registered
    Nov 2005

the best office of all

I've had various offices as a secretary and desktop publisher. I've had open cubicles and last, a cubicle in a small office shared with another.
    Most recently, I am home with my 2 little children and love the freedom to do whatever we please wherever we please. And I don't miss the confinement of a cubicle!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Another Planner's Bad Behavior
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Mar 2012, 9:59 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 11 May 2010, 7:09 AM
  3. Another planner's bad behavior
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 9