Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying Finger Jewelry

Registered
    Aug 2001

Buying Finger Jewelry

As I have alluded to in a couple other threads, I am going to be putting my house on the market very soon. I will be moving in with my girlfriend. This has something to do with the question I am posing to the great Throbbing Brain (TM).

If I were to buy a piece of jewelry for my girlfrind, oh... say... maybe a necklace or a ring or something. Let's say a ring. Now, what is it women like? Do they want just another gold ring with a precious gem, or would they like something truly unique?

Gold is so common. It seems to me that it is overdone. What about another, like silver or copper? When I was in grade school one of the projects we did in summer camp was make a ring from a nail. What if I forged a nice ring from wrought iron? Would she appreciate that it was hand made?

Stones are another issue. I am always pleased by the look of polished granite. Maybe a nice piece of pink granite. It could be much bigger than a little old diamond. Other possibilities might be obsidian or maybe a fossil of some sort. What about a shark's tooth?

Anyway, whatever ideas you have to offer....
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2003
    What kind of jewelry does she wear now???
    That should give you a good idea of what she likes.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I may be off base here, but, are we talking jewelry or are we talking engagement ring?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Hint anytime you think of spending a large hunk of cash on bling for a girls hand or neck start asking her what she likes. Take a little walk down jewelry lane at the store, look at mags together and talk about it. It MIGHT take some of the surprise away but you dont want to spend a few hundred to a few grand on something thats not her style.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Beautiful, affordable stones available at www.bluenile.com. That's where I bought the diamond for my wife's engagement ring.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Always a good idea to find out her tastes before taking the plunge. I knew Mrs. Tranplanner wasn't a big fan of bling so I got her a white gold band with emeralds (her fav stone) and diamond brilliants.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    I may be off base here, but, are we talking jewelry or are we talking engagement ring?
    That was my first question! I agree with Queen B - what does she wear now? Does she have a preference for gold, or silver, or neither?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    as a former jewelry store salesman ya can never go wrong with platinum and diamonds!

Silver and copper or too soft for stones the settings will break and the stones will be lost. Even with gold you should always look for platium or white gold settings. yellow setting mask the real color of the stones. even yellow diamonds look white next to the gold, with white gold or platinum you can tell that the diamonds are of good color.

Sparkly diamonds should have a good cut, and a low color rating (according to the GIA scale). There are several grades of diamond clarity. you should eliminate I stones for clarity and focus in the SI, VS, and VVS stones with SI being least costly. VVS stones are usually only bought by people with deep pockets.

Avoid shopping at malls or discount stores of the chain variety (probably the one exception would be tiffany's). These places mostly sell stock pieces and you can't build your own ring. By building your own ring, you control cost, look, and clairty of the stone. In addition most malls and high end stores have huge markups (this is where Tiffany's falls of the list, sorry ladies I can't suggest little pale blue boxes unless you're loaded, if this is an engagement ring, you can ofthen times save thousands on the same thing at a custom jewlers over Tiff's, so that blue box is what you get instead of the downpayment on a house).

Don't follow DeBeers guide for cost of the enggement ring. 3 or 4 months of salary is way too much money to wear on your hand. This is suggested because there is always some buck a hour willie who is too dumb to make a lot or realize how much he wants to spend, so they say "okay you make $100 a week, therefore, you need to spend $1,600 on a ring, and the sucker buys this. If you make planner salary (I know we don't make much, but in comparison to willie we are loaded). Do not fall into this trap.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; 26 Oct 2005 at 4:11 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    hehe your right Detroit throw and Assher cut on top and Im a happy woman
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Agree with the other posts, see what she wears now. Something handmade would be GREAT (for some women and not for others) it really depends on your girlfriend. Does she like original jewelry? Is she sentimental? You need to find out what SHE likes, thats the most important.
    And big diamonds and white gold or platinum can NEVER be wrong!!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Do they want just another gold ring with a precious gem, or would they like something truly unique?

Gold is so common. It seems to me that it is overdone. What about another, like silver or copper?
    Unique is good. Personally I don't like gold and would prefer silver, white gold, platinum, or titanium.

Queen B and others made a good point about looking at what she currently wears. If she wears little or no jewellery, then she probably won't like anything big or showy.

I do think it is nice that you have put some thought into it and have some ideas of your own already - why not share them with her to help narrow things down. Unless it's meant to be a surprise. If you are unsure but you really want it to be a surprise, maybe you could get something really simple, and choose a more expensive one together later.

Good luck!

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Why don't you just take three months salary in cash, set fire to it, and collect the ashes and put them in an urn that she can wear around her neck with these words inscribed:

"I'm so beautiful, my guy sacrificed three months of his life in order to buy this cultural symbol that says he owns me."
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I agree with the others in that you should take note of what type of jewelry she wears now. I would also consider asking her mother or a close female relative what she likes or if there is a particular family heirloom that can be used for her ring.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dobopoq
    Why don't you just take three months salary in cash, set fire to it, and collect the ashes and put them in an urn that she can wear around her neck with these words inscribed:

"I'm so beautiful, my guy sacrificed three months of his life in order to buy this cultural symbol that says he owns me."
    Haha thats funny... you're single ain't ya? If not does your wife have a sister?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by dobopoq

Just remember to wear a suit when you do this.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Haha thats funny... you're single ain't ya? If not does your wife have a sister?
    Actually I had a girlfriend in Baltimore (the best I've ever had), but I'd had enough muggings trying to ride a bike, so I left when I got my degree. She's in the midst of a master's program. So having been in PDX less than a year, I'm still building social ties.

Just remember to wear a suit when you do this.
    How could I have forgotten? Yes, of course, you must be wearing your best suit when you set fire to your season's wages.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Not all women like jewelry as a gift. I have a few pieces I always wear, basically for sentimental reasons, but I have no interest in having any more. I would rather get a good book. Be sure she even is interested in jewelry.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Not all women like jewelry as a gift. I have a few pieces I always wear, basically for sentimental reasons, but I have no interest in having any more. I would rather get a good book. Be sure she even is interested in jewelry.
    Well you just confimed it, you are officially crazy.....
    Girl what are you thinking, don't you remember there is someone that lurks on these forums that will hold that statement against you!!!!!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'll echo what the other ladies and gents have said: look at her current jewelry to get a sense of what she likes.

That being said, my favourite stones are amber and onyx (preferably in silver or white gold). I would prefer a handmade, unique ring.

Another thing that is really cool, and romantic in my opinion, is hair jewelry. Although it is a mostly lost art, you can still find the occasional artisan that specializes in it.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    OMG, do NOT let my wife, Katie, see this thread. If she does, I am doomed.

She loves bling. Hints about bling are in almost every conversation.....

"Hey, honey.....let's drive to Kalamazoo, for a Stanfest."
    "Do they have jewelry stores there?"

ON THE ROAD TO K-ZOO.....

"Hey, honey......we are almost there."
    "Is that a mall? Get off at this exit. Now!"

PAUSE.....

"You idiot."
    "There was a guy behind me changing lanes. I couldn't get over."
    "You don't love me."

AND ON AND ON AND ON.....

Like I said....."doomed".....

Bear With A Rock
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    Hmmm... could be something like that.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Hmmm... could be something like that.
    If it's something like that, ask the ?, then let her pick the ring. Women tend to be terribly disappointed in a lot of cases, if the guy picks something she doesn't like. And then she can't say anything.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    If it's something like that, ask the ?, then let her pick the ring. Women tend to be terribly disappointed in a lot of cases, if the guy picks something she doesn't like. And then she can't say anything.
    Well if that's the case i would imagine if you know someone well enough to give out hand candy than you should know weather they would want to pick it out or be supprised.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    My hubby popped the ?, then we got the ring. He is completely hopeless when it comes to jewelry - he didn't know that gold comes in colors, and really thought I'd want a ring that weighed down my hand. I'm glad we picked it out together. Most of my friends did the same - guy asks, but couple picks ring together.

I agree with DetroitPlanner on the shopping choices and such. Chain jewelry stores are great to get an idea of what you do (or don't!) like, but buy custom. And no, it doesn't have to be a diamond - but they do match everything!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Hm.. Here's my take. Mr. Hab started asking what I liked but he also took hints from the jewelry I already owned. He knew I didn't wear yellow gold and that I wanted something different. We picked the ring out together but when I got it was a total surprise, so I got the best of the deal. He did a perfect job but I wouldn't be upset even if I didn't get this ring because it was never about the ring anyway.

Another option is a simple solitaire from a jeweler where you can have the ring re-set after you ask so she can go in with you and pick out a different setting.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. “Finger” food… part 2?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 May 2005, 11:29 AM
  2. Finger Food?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 22 Apr 2005, 2:04 PM
  3. Eyeball jewelry