Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Your Daily Schadenfreund for 2005-11-03: I'm enjoying France's pain.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Your Daily Schadenfreund for 2005-11-03: I'm enjoying France's pain.

Perhaps another 10 years of condemnation and resolutions by the French government and the United Nations will solve the problem.

Ha Ha...You reap what you sew you cheese eating surrender monkeys!

Somebody call the mayor of Las Vegas, he knows how to deal with punks.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    part 1 - Yahoo News link does not take you to an article.

part 2 - wonder how the Mayor of Las Vegas would punish code violations ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

From an area in Michigan that has a large French Heritage and proud of it.............
    Moderator note:
    personal attack deleted

Moderator note:

While I share your feelings about the OP's attitude, there is no need for personal attacks
    Last edited by Tranplanner; 04 Nov 2005 at 11:42 AM.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Back in the 1990s, the French sneered at America for the Los Angeles riots. As the Chicago Sun-Times reported in 1992: "the consensus of French pundits is that something on the scale of the Los Angeles riots could not happen here, mainly because France is a more humane, less racist place with a much stronger commitment to social welfare programs." President Mitterrand, the Washington Post reported in 1992, blamed the riots on the "conservative society" that Presidents Reagan and Bush had created and said France is different because it "is the country where the level of social protection is the highest in the world."
    From http://www.nysun.com/article/22526

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- Politically France is a different place than it was in '92 though. Chirac has been slididing things to the right for as long as he's been in power, and actions against Muslims and other non-french immigrants have been getting harsher and harsher.

The idea that there's no latent racism in France is laughable though. Maybe they didn't have slavery (except in their colonies) nor did they have segregation, but they can snear at and economically disadvantage immigrants from their former colonies like the best of them.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    but they can snear at and economically disadvantage immigrants from their former colonies like the best of them.
    Not to mention Americans, at least at every chance they get. I'd like to know about the experiences of Americans living in France, and what they have to deal with in their day-to-day life.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Not to mention Americans, at least at every chance they get. I'd like to know about the experiences of Americans living in France, and what they have to deal with in their day-to-day life.
    A family friend of ours has been working/going to school in France for about the past four years. He was not treated well for about the first year or so, probably due to conflicts with the cultural norms, etc, and not having a complete mastery of the French language (just because you've had four years of French class in college doesn't mean you can speak it well or understand the culture). He lives in an area heavily populated with students that is much more cosmopolitan and less prone to snearing. He has stated though that he runs into what he calls a "Euro-snob" about once a week that will be exceptionally rude to him because he is American.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Quote Originally posted by Planificador Urbano
    From an area in Michigan that has a large French Heritage and proud of it.............
    Moderator note:
    personal attack deleted

Moderator note:

While I share your feelings about the OP's attitude, there is no need for personal attacks

What about the "personal attack" by EG aganist a group of people?

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    ^-- Politically France is a different place than it was in '92 though. Chirac has been slididing things to the right for as long as he's been in power, and actions against Muslims and other non-french immigrants have been getting harsher and harsher.
    As a moderate that leans toward the left - has Chirac truly drifted toward the right or has he become so left wing that it's bordering on fascism? Just curious...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I don't see why anybody could enjoy seeing people riot somewhere else.

But it's certainly a symtom that things aren't very good at all. What I've seen on TV looks like Sept. 11th every year here, but that has a strong historical background, things like that doesn't start because 2 kids got electrocuted for hiding from the police in a Darwin award place. (AFAIK)

Registered
    May 2004
    I have never been to France but have heard the stories about how they can treat Americans. Yet in America I see french people being treated poorly quite often. So I guess the question is really "Who started it!"

...I'm telling.

But back on topic- I don't think it speaks well of anyone who gloats over anyone else's tragedy.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by teshadoh
    As a moderate that leans toward the left - has Chirac truly drifted toward the right or has he become so left wing that it's bordering on fascism? Just curious...
    I always thought fascism is related to far-right mentally, whereas communism is related to far-left mentally.

I think the roits are horrible and obviously the result of bad government policies and culutural norms on the part of the French, but I believe that eG is wrong to "enjoy" this violence.

[baiting]So if an innocent child gets hurt on their way to school because of these riots, you would enjoy it, eG?[/baiting]
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    EG,

I normally enjoy and find your posts thought provoking, but,

enjoying the pain of others and "cheese eating surrender monkeys?"

IMHO, this is sad and disrespectful.

btw, please allow this French Cajun to correct you, its "reap what you sow."

Registered
    May 2003

Yes. Honestly. I would love to have the "free pass" that some people seem to have to **** all over this board and then get treated with kit gloves by the moderators. Maybe it takes threatening to leave in a giant hissy fit.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Personally, I found his post childish and irresponsible, and bordering on breaking forum rules with respect to trolling and "being a jerk". However, it was not a personal attack on another user, and to my knowledge nobody has reported the post. Your response, rather than responding to the content of EG's post (as others have done) instead chose to attack him personally. That, to me, warranted a warning.

Moderator note:
    btw - thread closed

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Chronic Pain
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 19 Mar 2009, 10:05 AM
  2. Making fun of people in pain
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 09 Dec 2008, 4:22 PM