Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: This one will make woman bang their head on the wall

Registered
    Mar 2005

This one will make woman bang their head on the wall

I made a call to a person who works in our City Engineer's office (private firm) who had a question on a street name for a plat. I told him that I was finally able to speak to our street naming person and had a street name for him. He says, "What's his name?" I said "HER name is ..." and he actually said to me "now, don't you think that is a pretty big responsibility for a woman?"

pause...

I say "Excuse me?"

Can you believe that jacka$$? I just changed jobs to a smaller town (20k) but it's in a metro of a million person city. Where do these people come from? It was such a nice thing to happen on a friday. I wonder what he thinks of me, a woman working as the City Planner? I guess he wanted me to know, without saying it straight out. oh well, anyone else deal with this?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    That's surprising hearing that sort of thing in the 21st century, in an urban area no less.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    For our unincorporated county the person responsible for street names and addressing is a woman.

Registered
    May 2004
    I suspect he was teasing. Either that or he's an idiot.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Hmmm... the person responsible for street names in the entire county and the two incorporated areas here is a woman and we're in "good ol' boy" country down here. I wonder how many stories she has like this!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    I wish he were teasing, but we don't have a relationship like that. I vaugly remember the previous director (also a woman) mentioning something about chauvanism and ol' boy network.

I think he has a problem with woman telling him what to do. I hope I am on the selection committe for the City Engineer next round! He said he was kidding, but isn't there that saying that "there's always a little truth to what is said"?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    Can't it be both?

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I was more interested in this thread before I read "head on the wall"

I'm in a weird mood today.....
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by CDT
    I hope I am on the selection committe for the City Engineer next round!
    Why is that?

Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    Can't it be both?
    Of course! I suspect more toward the idiot end, though...
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 04 Nov 2005 at 10:38 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    Can't it be both?
    It can be both.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Those guys mean it. They're just stupid enough to think that excusing it as a joke will make it alright. Tell your boss! I have dealt with enough morons in recent years who won't deal with women in government to the point I want to strangle them (but haven't, yet, anyway).

Registered
    Mar 2005
    My dad's company has a policy of answering unsolicited marketing calls asking for the manager/person in charge of computers/director/etc. with "I'm sorry, Miss Wong is not in at the moment. Can you call back?" .....

They never do.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Miss Wong, eh? Good show. Deflects the racists and the chauvinists.

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Those guys mean it. They're just stupid enough to think that excusing it as a joke will make it alright...I have dealt with enough morons in recent years who won't deal with women in government to the point I want to strangle them (but haven't, yet, anyway).
    I'd like to see someone rip one of these guys' heads off just once. Just tear them a new one right in public and get away with it. Believe me, I've dealt with, and had to put up with the fallout from, ignorant pricks like the guy above many a time. Maybe not for sexist stuff, but for other lowbrow crap like seeing them push some stupid subdivision through (in total violation of the master plan) just because he went on a golf outing with his some stupid sucka$$ politician or trustee (while little wifey stays home and cleans.)

A$$holes like this guy still get away with murder and it really doesn't surprise me that such a ignorant statement still can be made in the so called professional environment today.

Registered
    May 2004
    I've worked in very urban and very rural jurisdictions. I was not surpirsed when it occured to female coworkers of mine in rural areas - that's just the way some rural people are (uneducated, unenlightened hicks) but in an urban area that shocks me.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Men don't get Wonder Woman
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Sep 2013, 4:53 PM
  2. Advantage: Man Or Woman?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 26 Jun 2007, 7:30 PM
  3. Tempe, AZ will go wall-to-wall wireless
    Economic and Community Development