Urban planning community

Poll results: What should I do?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the ticket, make yourself and sonmeone else happy

4 13.33%
  • Return the ticket and maybe make lots of people happy.

16 53.33%
  • As always, there might be another option.

10 33.33%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ethical Dilemma - Advice Needed

Registered
    Sep 2001

Ethical Dilemma - Advice Needed

Here it is.

I've been given 2 tickets to a very expensive and exclusive event ($350 a plate), by one of the groups I volunteer for. After receiving the tickets, and making a date with a person I really like, I am asked to return one ticket as it is required for someone else.

Now for the hard part, should I return the ticket?

I know that if I keep it, I'll be happy and so will the person I am planning on going with,if I return it, it might mean a new business relationship for the organization.

I think I know what I should do, what would you do?
    Last edited by donk; 04 Nov 2005 at 9:18 PM.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I would return both tickets and take my date to some place private and special. I would probably then stop volunteering for that group. They shouldn't have put you in that situation.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    If it's not work-related I would keep the ticket and tell them to, well, whatever, and take your date. Sounds like indian-givers to me (sorry, not PC).

Registered
    Jan 2005
    They've given it to you and should know it is in poor taste to ask for it back - clearly, you are not two people, which means you have more than likely made plans with a friend (or more than a friend).

As for the business opportunity, not knowing what it is I cannot comment on its merit or validity.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    I would return both tickets and take my date to some place private and special. I would probably then stop volunteering for that group. They shouldn't have put you in that situation.
    I agree with savemattoon. Though I must say that is a terrible position to be in. I think that there is no ethical dilema about it really- it's your ticket. once something is given to you it's yours and it's terrible for anyone to ask for it back. That said- I believe if you do give it back you come off as the good guy and by stopping your volunteering you let them know.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    As for the business opportunity, not knowing what it is I cannot comment on its merit or validity.
    We are using this event as a way to woo a few potential sponsors. I'll be at a table with a few olympic athletes, staff and a few Presidents of Marketing/Public Relations for a few very large comapnies. They want the ticket back to invite another person we are wooing for $$.

I guess as I sit on the BOD of this organization, it is rally me that wants the ticket back, but am a bit spineless in taking it back from myself (if that makes sense).
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Since you are on the board, you need to do whats best for the organization. I'm sure you can make it up later.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Here it is.

I've been given 2 tickets to a very expensive and exclusive event ($350 a plate), by one of the groups I volunteer for. After receiving the tickets, and making a date with a person I really like, I am asked to return one ticket as it is required for someone else.

Now for the hard part, should I return the ticket?

I know that if I keep it, I'll be happy and so will the person I am planning on going with,if I return it, it might mean a new business relationship for the organization.

I think I know what I should do, what would you do?

I would cancel the date seeing that you are on the BOD and one of the ones that wish you gave the tickets back too. You would have to make it up bigger and better though. But $350 dollars canadian is what $20 dollars US

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl
    I would cancel the date seeing that you are on the BOD and one of the ones that wish you gave the tickets back too. You would have to make it up bigger and better though. But $350 dollars canadian is what $20 dollars US

It is 350 each, so $700 date would be pretty extravagant, especially on a planner's salary.

Quote Originally posted by giff57
    Since you are on the board, you need to do whats best for the organization. I'm sure you can make it up later.
    Not so sure about "making it up", that is crux of the problem. Plus I've taken more than a "few for the team" in the past. I know this contravenes the philosophy of tzedakah as described by Maimonides but that is what makes us human and in some cases ethical people.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Go to Kinkos and reproduce the tickets on quality card stock and and return the "copies."

This way, everyone wins!
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In my experiance, charity groups can usually conjour up extra seats for major potiential sponsers... particularly if its only one ticket--are they asking anyone else for their ticket back do you know?

But I've always believed that whenever you are put in an unethical situation, the first thing to do is quit/leave, regardless of the action you later take. Whenever your personal ethics are called into question, then its not possible to remain in the situation without compromising. ... of course that doesnt translate into reality so well. But it looks well in theory.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    If it were me, I would do what’s best for the organization. The goal of the dinner is to lure money, not a date. You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders and I think that your date would as well. If you explain it to her, she should understand.

When it comes down to it, do what will feel right a year from now, not 10 minutes after the event.

A year from now if she is not with you because of that one event, then she is not worth it.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    I would probably go with this option, too. Hopefully, the date will be understanding. And, as someone mentioned, if that person isn't that understanding, you probably wouldn't want to date them anyway. Sadly, taking one for the team usually isn't much fun.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    What? you paid for it... and a high price... and they want you to give it back (I suppose refunding your money) and making you change your plans? It's not your problem that they made a mistake and sold you something that they shouldn't have sold...let them fix their problem with the other person....

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    What? you paid for it... and a high price... and they want you to give it back (I suppose refunding your money) and making you change your plans? It's not your problem that they made a mistake and sold you something that they shouldn't have sold...let them fix their problem with the other person....
    I am on the Board of Directors, who bought a table at this charity function to benefit our organization(don't ask it is confusing me too), they then gave ne a pair of tickets and said it was ok to invite a guest of my choice, they subsequently requested 1 ticket back so we could use it to woo another potential sponsor.

The semi good news, I spoke to our CEO, and he said not to worry about it, as it is now too late to reasonably expect a person to come to this event. Guess there is a good to not having emails sent to my work account and waiting until I get home to deal with emails.

Off to pick up my new suit that I bought for this event.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Apr 2013, 3:22 PM
  2. Ethical dilemma
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 20 Jan 2012, 9:25 AM
  3. Family ethical dilemma
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 11 Aug 2003, 3:12 PM