Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Buffalo's spectacular OLV Basilica

Buffalo's spectacular OLV Basilica

What Can I say about this place other than WOW!

I don't know brother, but that looks like an imitation greek temple to me. How do you know it's a basilica?

Quote Originally posted by jaws
    I don't know brother, but that looks like an imitation greek temple to me. How do you know it's a basilica?
    It is an official Catholic Basilica

Greek Temple????

Our Lady of Victory Basilica.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Somewhere between Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD
    Steel is correct, this is Our Lady of Victory Basilica in Lackawanna, NY just outside of Buffalo. The website for the basilica is here: http://www.ourladyofvictory.org/Basilica/Welcome.html

It's yet another awesome architectural gem in Buffalo, which should market its architectural gems like Chicago does.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Pic 3 would be so much better without those bits of urban detritus hanging in the way. Its more evidence of how much has been surrendured to the automobile.

great thread as always steel... how about putting the basilica in context with the adjacent olmsted park and 1890's aboretum

If you like basilicas then you will like the new Dresden basilica. (Link has pictures).

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Silly protestants! Any catholic church can be a basilica, all you have to do is have the Pope say it is.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    What are you talking about? It's clearly a church, in baroque style. Nothing like a greek temple......

OED says:
    Basilica
    1. Anc. Hist. Literally and originally, a royal palace; thence, a large oblong building or hall, with double colonnades and a semicircular apse at the end, used for a court of justice and place of public assembly.
    2. A building of the preceding type, used for Christian worship. Originally, a hall of justice handed over by Roman emperors and consecrated for religious use; thence applied to other early churches built on the same plan, and improperly
    to churches generally. In Rome applied spec. to the seven principal churches founded by Constantine.

AHD says:
    B A S I L I C A
    n. A public building of ancient Rome having a central nave with an apse at one or both ends and two side aisles formed by rows of columns, which was used as a courtroom or assembly hall.
    A Christian church building of a similar design, having a nave with a
    semicircular apse, two or four side aisles, a narthex, and a clerestory.
    {Roman Catholic Church} A church that has been accorded certain privileges by the pope.

Me and my pathetic attempts at irony

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Is there anything special about basilicas? basilici?

Like a Catholic cathederal is the centre of a diocese,overloarding it to the churches, who are centres of their parishes, who lord it over the chapels, if they have any.Where does a Basilica fit in? Random proof of the inconsistances of catholicism?

hell, I thought it was funny.
    Last edited by chukky; 08 Nov 2005 at 5:38 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Oh no I got it I was laughing.

Chukky a basilica is one because the Pope says so. Thats why there are thousands in Italy. It is not in the Cathedral heirarchy.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Wow, absolutely beautiful!!!

Church architects are the best

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 07 Jul 2009, 9:36 PM
  2. Buffalo's Bungalow Belt
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 21 Nov 2007, 6:38 PM