Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dealing with Sleep Apnea, which now increases chances of cancer.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow

Dealing with Sleep Apnea, which now increases chances of cancer.

So now THEY say that sleep apnea have increased chances of cancer. I have had sleep apnea off and on for years. Even had surgery once several years ago, but it did not seem to help all that much. Now with the new information regarding cancer, I think I am going to look into ways to address it.

Do you or your SO have sleep apnea? Have you or your SO taken any steps to address it? If so what and how well did it work?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm wondering if they controlled for other possible causes. Sleep apnea can be made worse by obesity, smoking, etc. Was it the sleep apnea causing the cancer or the fact they were obese play a more central role.

My dad smoked for 50 years and had mild sleep apnea. Since he stopped smoking a few years back I think he sleeps much better at night. Now if my dad was diagnosed with cancer tomorrow, would they link it to sleep apnea?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm waiting for the next study to come out in a few months refuting this one. What doesn't cause cancer nowadays?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    My wife just underwent a sleep study. We should get the results back tomorrow. She has snored since long before we met. It has gotten noticely worse on the past 6 months, to the point where I cannot sleep.

Regardless is you believe apnea is tied to other dieases or aligments you should get it treated if for no other reason so your wife can get some sleep.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Regardless is you believe apnea is tied to other dieases or aligments you should get it treated if for no other reason so your wife can get some sleep.
    I agree.

And yes, I also think that everything causes cancer these days.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I'm waiting for the next study to come out in a few months refuting this one. What doesn't cause cancer nowadays?
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I agree.

And yes, I also think that everything causes cancer these days.
    I have it on good authority that staying alive increases your chances of cancer dramatically while there have been no documented cases of cancer after death. Think about it.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Canine Cancer
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 16 Mar 2012, 10:47 AM
  2. Replies: 30
    Last post: 14 Feb 2010, 6:46 PM
  3. Sleep in the workplace
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 30