• I have acheived Perfect Balance already, Grasshopper

17 32.69%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Introverts vs. Extroverts; the Comparasin Continues

Registered
    Feb 2004

Introverts vs. Extroverts; the Comparasin Continues

There have been a few threads with tests to determine one's personality type/psychological tendencies. Seems like more folks (at least in the FAC) were introverts then were extroverts, but still there were some prominent Cyburbians who happened to be extroverts.

Does anyone think that being either an introvert or extrovert provides some sort of advantage in life the other lacks?

Being somewhat of an introvert, I've long felt that extroverts, as a rule, don't produce the same quality of thought that int's do. Mrs. Maister is an extrovert and one day she spent most of the day alone. When I came back I found she had every tv and radio in the house on. I asked her why this was and she responded she "did not like being alone with nothing but her thoughts to keep her company." I've relayed this story to other extroverts and their response has been 'yeah, so?' Many introverts, however, seem to gravitate towards my conclusion.

I've included a poll and I have a sneaking suspicion as to the results....but let's see what happens.
    Last edited by Maister; 07 Nov 2005 at 10:55 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I believe that I am quite well balanced, but do lean, more often than not, toward slight introvert.

I have little problem being outgoing in a crowd/group, but only when I think it is worth it....I am certainly not an extrovert that has a strong need to engage for the sake of engagement or always needs to be in the midst of conversation.

It would be difficult to be a currnet planner and be a strong introvert...too much inter-person interaction is required.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I am a classic introvert. Here's an interesting article explaining introverts to extroverts:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200303/rauch

"Do you know someone who needs hours alone every day? Who loves quiet conversations about feelings or ideas, and can give a dynamite presentation to a big audience, but seems awkward in groups and maladroit at small talk? Who has to be dragged to parties and then needs the rest of the day to recuperate? Who growls or scowls or grunts or winces when accosted with pleasantries by people who are just trying to be nice?

If so, do you tell this person he is "too serious," or ask if he is okay? Regard him as aloof, arrogant, rude? Redouble your efforts to draw him out?

If you answered yes to these questions, chances are that you have an introvert on your hands—and that you aren't caring for him properly...."

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I, uhh...................went with "grasshopper".........uhh,...................uhhhh,.........I feel it is best for me..........am I being too loud?........uhhh,..............

Seriously, this Bear has to speak in front of hundreds, gather "the troops" and say motivating mumbo-jumbo, spread words of encouragement, champion causes and projects et al, etc. When doing this you would take me for an extrovert.

OTHO, put me in a tavern on a Friday night and I stand shyly in a corner, never the first to utter a sound. Add friends or foes to that corner and you can't get me to shut up.

My friend, Jan, is the type of person who will walk in any room.....anywhere.....and immediately start conversing with people. He has done that so often in his life that we all kid him about it.

Bob Dylan's Son Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I am a classic introvert. Here's an interesting article explaining introverts to extroverts:

Yes, good article which helps clear up some commonly held misconceptions (like, all introverts are 'shy' - see Bear's remarks about 'addressing the troops').
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I'm an introvert to the extreme. 100% introverted on the Myers-Briggs test. I can be around a very small group of people for awhile, but then I want everyone to go away.
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Apr 2005
    I'm content being an introvert, and yet enjoy extroversion in a context such as a party. Since most people are sensors (S), as opposed to intuitives (N), I generally find I have little in common with the average person. If most people were N's, I'd probably be more extroverted. The 4 Extraverted Sensate types are about half of the population, even though they are only 1/4 of the 16 MBTI types. They can be fun for a little while, but an overactive mouth, and an underactive imagination make me feel drunk without the pleasure of a buzz. (ES types, please don't take offense. Obviously, mother nature deems your types more necessary than mine.)

Still waters run deep. Some life does reside among the depths. You just have to fish for it.
    Last edited by dobopoq; 07 Nov 2005 at 11:49 AM.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Being somewhat of an introvert, I've long felt that extroverts, as a rule, don't produce the same quality of thought that int's do.
    If I recall correctly, the general population has more extroverts than introverts and the gifted population has more introverts than extroverts (extroverts are outnumbered about 2 to 1 in the gifted community). I am an extrovert with a high need for time alone. According to an acquaintance of mine who has taken some kind of substantial course work (like a certificate program) in Meyers-Briggs personality type stuff, ExxP's typically need some time to themselves to nurture their creative side. (I am an ENTP.)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200303/rauch ...."
    I was going to post a link for that article, but I see ZG has beaten me to the punch. An excellent article. Part of its appeal is the article is slightly humorous in his approach, but there is a lot of good information in it as well. I understand myself better, particularly why I get annoyed in the evening when my family insists in talking to me (really more at me), and why I so look forward to the time when they go to bed and I have a little time to wind down from my day.

My best friend is a total extrovert and I am an introvert. Odd pairing.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I am a people junkie. Drop me into a crowd of 200,000 people, and I will see how many people I can meet! I am extremely extroverted and love to be round people. Even if I don’t talk with them, I just feel a since of comfort being around others. I will often go to the library or a coffee shop to do homework for some since of interaction.

I wonder if there is a correlation is between upper management, corporate executives, civic leaders, millionaires, and other people classified as successful by general societal stereotypes, and being introverted or extroverted. I would think that people who are more social would be more successful (by societal stereotype standards)
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    It would be difficult to be a currnet planner and be a strong introvert...too much inter-person interaction is required.
    It sure is, but I've gone down this path and can't make a living building ships in a bottle.

I can't stand extroverts who have no idea why everyone else isn't just like them. "Why am I so quiet?" - I don't know, why don't you ever stop talking?

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    As far as planners go - particularly those in the municipal ring, how can you be an introvert?

Which of course is why I'm not a planner & don't wish to be one. But I do know some planners who would typically be considered an introvert, but they are also very well disciplened which I think assists their ability for public speaking. But most of them are extroverts to the extreme.

But I admit I am an introvert but am also responsible for some level of coordination & meetings. Somehow I make myself do it, usually addreneline kicks in.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I would think that people who are more social would be more successful (by societal stereotype standards)
    With certain notable exceptions I would agree with this. 'Success' in mainstream culture is very closely tied with image, and extroverts tend to possess positive image in spades. The ability to easily forge the necessary social contacts to, say, found and promote a profitable company have historically been associated with self-promoting extroverts (mind you introverts are often the ones who devise the original concepts the companies/products are founded on). Fame, likewise is invariably accorded to very outgoing folks who know how to smile (or frown) for the camera. Generally speaking, introverts do not seek out fame or notoriety, but it can find them in spite of this fact sometimes.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I consider myself slightly introverted.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I wonder if there is a correlation is between upper management, corporate executives, civic leaders, millionaires, and other people classified as successful by general societal stereotypes, and being introverted or extroverted. I would think that people who are more social would be more successful (by societal stereotype standards)
    There's definitely a correlation because those qualities are often the same as "leadership" skills. There are people who are great at the technical aspects of their jobs but have a hard time in management/leadership positions. On the other hand there are the Donald Trumps of the world who might not be the most technically knowledgable person in the room but are experts at wheeling and dealing, leading people and making decisions.

Registered
    Oct 2001

"Do you know someone who needs hours alone every day? Who loves quiet conversations about feelings or ideas, and can give a dynamite presentation to a big audience, but seems awkward in groups and maladroit at small talk? Who has to be dragged to parties and then needs the rest of the day to recuperate? Who growls or scowls or grunts or winces when accosted with pleasantries by people who are just trying to be nice?

If so, do you tell this person he is "too serious," or ask if he is okay? Regard him as aloof, arrogant, rude? Redouble your efforts to draw him out?

If you answered yes to these questions, chances are that you have an introvert on your hands—and that you aren't caring for him properly...."
    Without even clicking the link, this sounds like me. I can get downright hostile if I am forced to sepnd too much time with a group.

Now, does that mean I never like to socialize? Not really at all. I do, however, choose odd habits and hobbies (strange music concerts, long "urban hikes") that result in some isolation. Plus, my introversion can result in bad habits/addictions (overspending). But, given my solitary nature, I'm not sure I want to become more social, even if I know I should.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    This may come as a total surprise to many of you but I am an extrovert

I enjoy being social, get a little antsy when alone...if the boys aren't home (VERY RARE) and I am there alone, I come unglued...I cannot stay at the house, I cannot sit there and do nothing....I enjoy being around people and have very little need for being alone...

Registered
    May 2004
    I am introverted although I definately like to hang out in groups so long as I am comfortable with everyone.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I'm an introvert... and I hate crowds! is there anything wrong with that? No! I'm like that if you like it fine, if not... don't even try to change me...

Registered
    May 2003
    I'm naturally an introvert but force myself to spend time in social situations as a matter of personal improvement.

Quote Originally posted by Master
    The ability to easily forge the necessary social contacts to, say, found and promote a profitable company have historically been associated with self-promoting extroverts (mind you introverts are often the ones who devise the original concepts the companies/products are founded on)
    There's for a long time been an argument in some circles as to if Steve Jobs exploited Steve Wozniak (the inventer of the Apple Computer). The best conclusion that I've heard is that yes, he did, but Woz needed to be exploited. Woz was a technical genious but had no ambition to see any of his inventions put to use beyond his workshop, and it took somebody like Jobs (who has few technical skills) to promote them.

Woz made a lot of money but gave a good chunk of it to people he felt Jobs didn't compensate enough. He went back to school after leaving Apple to finish his degree and now spends most of his time volunteering at schools to teach kids about computers, and tinkering in his workshop. He appreciates his money on the grounds that he doesn't have to work but never wanted to be rich. Jobs continues to chase the limelight. It's honestly always seemed to me that Woz has a lot more figured out than Jobs does.
    Last edited by jordanb; 07 Nov 2005 at 5:51 PM.

I am introverted socially but extroverted professionally.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Is there some kind of quick online tests that can determine whether I'm extroverted or introverted?

The thing is that I can see myself being both. It really depends on the situations that I'm in, the kind of auras that I pick up from other people, the way I feel about starting conversations with people, and etc...

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    I am introverted socially but extroverted professionally.
    'dunker, interesting view. That might more accurately describe me, too. Being the dept. head I need to be extroverted professionally. Is it then compensation to be introverted in my personal life?
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    'dunker, interesting view. That might more accurately describe me, too. Being the dept. head I need to be extroverted professionally. Is it then compensation to be introverted in my personal life?

^^^
    Isnt that the definition of an introvert? Introverts dont neessecary shy away from contact, but after being people-friendly for a while, feel the need to be be contained for a while.

Wouldnt an extrovert, on the other hand, thrive on being extroverted prefessionally, and be still extroverted after hours?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Most every test I've done has shown me as an introvert. Yes, I do need time to "recharge my batteries" after long periods of being around people -- something about the inanity of small talk and forced smiles that just drains me.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Can introverts become planners?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 15 Oct 2012, 9:05 AM
  2. America's throwaway culture continues
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 15 May 2005, 3:17 PM
  3. Replies: 19