• I have acheived Perfect Balance already, Grasshopper

17 32.69%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Introverts vs. Extroverts; the Comparasin Continues

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Hceux
    Is there some kind of quick online tests that can determine whether I'm extroverted or introverted?
    pete-rock's answer contains the short version: an introvert finds socializing draining and an extrovert finds it recharging. If you really want an online test, I think there are links to things like that at www.upsidedownschoolroom.com. Look under "related links".
    Quote Originally posted by pete-rock
    Most every test I've done has shown me as an introvert. Yes, I do need time to "recharge my batteries" after long periods of being around people -- something about the inanity of small talk and forced smiles that just drains me.
    I really think the introvert/extrovert paradigm is too limited.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Interesting poll results....as many introverts are dissatisfied as are content with their introvert qualities. Twice as many extroverts are content with their extroverted qualities as those who are not. What does that imply? Hmmm, I guess that means either extroversion is widely seen as being a more desireable trait or perhaps that extroverts spend so little time in self reflection they therefore don't know what they are missing!
    I wonder how many people that answered 'perfectly balanced' actually exhibit either introverted or extroverted qualities and interpret their contentment with their inner state as 'balance'?
    As MZ noted 'introverted' or 'extroverted' are somewhat limited terms. They do tell something about a person but I think most people would agree that there are huge variations of personalities found within any sample of folks that fall under either of these labels.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    pete-rock's answer contains the short version: an introvert finds socializing draining and an extrovert finds it recharging. If you really want an online test, I think there are links to things like that at www.upsidedownschoolroom.com. Look under "related links".

I really think the introvert/extrovert paradigm is too limited.
    Thanks, MZ for the website link.

MZ, I think you have something going with your proposition that the introvert/extrover paradigm is too limited. It would especially be with those who have communicative challenges such as those who stutter, who are autistic and cannot communicative effectively with appropriate pragmatics, those who use sign language and not speech for communication, and etc.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    The poll could use a few more extrovert responses, but....
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Twice as many extroverts are content with their extroverted qualities as those who are not. What does that imply? Hmmm, I guess that means either extroversion is widely seen as being a more desireable trait or perhaps that extroverts spend so little time in self reflection they therefore don't know what they are missing!
    LOL
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I wonder how many people that answered 'perfectly balanced' actually exhibit either introverted or extroverted qualities and interpret their contentment with their inner state as 'balance'?
    I answered "perfect balance" because I didn't like any of the other choices and because I fall smack in the middle on the extroverted side and because, after years of misery, I am learning to get along with myself/ my traits. Gifted extroverts get told to "shut up" by EVERYBODY -- they get told to shut up by most extroverts because most extroverts are of more average intelligence and their eyes rapidly glaze over at all my pontificating and they get told to shut up by the folks who can actually understand what I am saying but would rather crawl into their shell and be left the hell alone thanks. (and, yes, I know that sentence is grammatically a mess -- it's too late at night to care).

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I answered "perfect balance" because I didn't like any of the other choices and because I fall smack in the middle on the extroverted side and because, after years of misery, I am learning to get along with myself/ my traits. Gifted extroverts get told to "shut up" by EVERYBODY -- they get told to shut up by most extroverts because most extroverts are of more average intelligence and their eyes rapidly glaze over at all my pontificating and they get told to shut up by the folks who can actually understand what I am saying but would rather crawl into their shell and be left the hell alone thanks. (and, yes, I know that sentence is grammatically a mess -- it's too late at night to care).
    SHUT UP!
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Breed
    SHUT UP!
    Oh, thank god: I had more to say but didn't want to be gauche and double reply, and now you have given me an excuse to post again.

Quote Originally posted by Hceux
    MZ, I think you have something going with your proposition that the introvert/extrover paradigm is too limited. It would especially be with those who have communicative challenges such as those who stutter, who are autistic and cannot communicative effectively with appropriate pragmatics, those who use sign language and not speech for communication, and etc.
    I agree with you: Test results show my oldest son as an introvert. He is chattier than I am and a major attention monger. He tests as an introvert because of auditory processing problems and other issues: In spite of being an attention monger, he doesn't cope well with crowds. I know of others with similar issues.

FWIW: My default paradigm for thinking about such things is astrology. Astrology has 3 relationship houses. The 3rd house addresses "side by side" relationships (siblings, coworkers, classmates, etc). The 7th house addresses "face to face" relationships (lovers, spouses, business partners, etc). And the 11th house addresses one's relationship to "an audience" or "the public". Authors are often introverted types who work in solitude but have to manage a relationship to the public. And I think that is what some folks (like Gedunker) are describing in this thread: that they deal effectively with the public, even though they are introverts. I don't see that as contradictory.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The reason I am bumping this thread is primarily to show that once upon a time we actually had polls that did NOT include a 'why do you hate America' option.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    That's awesome that dobopoq had the Mike Myer's Euro-weenie character as his avatar A lot of these folks used to post a lot but haven't been heard from in a long time.

Registered
    May 2005
    I love being around other people. I think I'm an extrovert.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    "If you don't say anything, you won't be called on to repeat it."

~ Calvin Coolidge ~ our most introverted president
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I'm definitely an extreme extravert.

I have to go home and recharge after working next to two loud extraverts at work everyday. I know every aspect of what's going on in their lives since I hear it repeated multiple times over the course of the day because they have nothing else to talk about. For the life of me, I can't figure out how these two carry on for so long about every mundane detail of their lives. I guess for me, my life is a series of bullet points that can be explained quickly but these people are somehow able to embellish all the details in a conversation.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post

these people are somehow able to embellish all the details in a conversation.
    I am a fan of embellished, mundane details of other people's lives. I think it's more interesting than the bullet points. To me those seem to be all the same. School, graduated, married, blah blah blah.

I want to hear about the time you couldn't take that lame-o in your Geology 101 class who was crunching Cheerios out of a baggie, and the sound got louder and louder until you couldn't hear anything else and you had to stand up and SWIPE the bag out of his hand with a crazed look in your eye, and then it was all silent except for the clicking of all those Cheerios as they tumbled down the lecture hall steps.....

Also I think I'm an extrovert.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I Also I think I'm an extrovert.
    Dude, you are most defintely an extrovert. I'm a situational extrovert. At work, when talking to a citizen or giving a talk/speeach,I'm an extrovert. Th rest of the time, I'm an introvert.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Off-topic:
    I don't know whether it is introverted or extroverted, but 'comparison' is misspelled in the thread title and it is driving me nuts. Should I tell anybody about it?

On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Off-topic:
    I don't know whether it is introverted or extroverted, but 'comparison' is misspelled in the thread title and it is driving me nuts. Should I tell anybody about it?

Your neither, but definitely a Type A

(yeah, I know I spelled you're wrong, just to get your goat!)
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Off-topic:

Off-topic:
    I wouldn't suggest mentioning it for fear of offending the OP. After all, you could end up hurting his feelings if you're not careful

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I am a fan of embellished, mundane details of other people's lives. I think it's more interesting than the bullet points. To me those seem to be all the same. School, graduated, married, blah blah blah.
    Honestly a lot of those details don't really stand out to me when I'm recalling an event. If someone asks the right questions, I can go into more detail but it's not something I do naturally.

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Off-topic:
    I wouldn't suggest mentioning it for fear of offending the OP. After all, you could end up hurting his feelings if you're not careful
    Off-topic:
    All right then, I'll just avert my eyes, which I am capable of doing, as an introvert.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Off-topic:
    It's ok man. This post was back in 2007, and we all know you didn't get your GED until 2009

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Its a good thing that seasoned planners all have skin as thick as elephants! I could see this being hurtful otherwise.

Now get off my land! Think of the Children! That proposed duplex will decrease my property values, increase traffic!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Can introverts become planners?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 15 Oct 2012, 9:05 AM
  2. America's throwaway culture continues
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 15 May 2005, 3:17 PM
  3. Replies: 19