Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 15 hours + fulltime work? Am I crazy?

Registered
    Nov 2004

15 hours + fulltime work? Am I crazy?

I found out tonight that I can graduate a semester earlier if I buckle down and take 15 hours next semester. I also work full-time at 40+ hours per week.

I should also add that 4 of the 5 courses are "accelerated", meaning that they are 7-weeks apiece, or half-semester courses. Two of them will take place the first half of the semester and two will take place the second half of the semester. Now, this is nice to only deal with each class for 7 weeks, but that is an INTENSE 7 weeks. The 5th class will be all semester long. So, it looks like this:

Jan-March: 2 courses
    March-May: 2 courses
    Jan-May: 1 course

I end up with 15 hours but will only be dealing with 9 hours at a time. It's still going to be brutal but nothing like if I were to be in all 5 courses at the same time.

Given this info, would you still do it?

Is this crazy? I have to register at 6:00 p.m. today so I'd better make a decision soon.
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I worked full time while doing graduate school but I never did more than 6 credits a semester, I might have pulled 9 once but it was an easy class. I didn't mind taking longer to go through school because that's 6 more months of deferment you get on your loans. Up to you, but don't kill yourself over it.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Heck, I worked full time night shift and went to school full time my junior and senior year

Registered
    Apr 2005
    I've done a similar thing, but work and school were both always within a 10 minute walk. I would imagine your commuting time will be a crucial factor.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dobopoq
    I've done a similar thing, but work and school were both always within a 10 minute walk. I would imagine your commuting time will be a crucial factor.
    I work from 9:00 - 5:30 (usually) and my courses are all from 6:50-9:40 p.m. The university is basically halfway between work and home, so it's bascially just a turn off my normal route.

One of the courses, however, is held at a satellite campus on the North side of the city, which is a good 20 miles from home. That wouldn't be so bad until you factor in Austin traffic

BANNED
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    Unless you are married, and have mouths to feed, be cool, stay in school. Seriously, what...you get out a semester early to be a...planner? GET A LIFE!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I had 18 units going (6 courses) and worked two jobs (about 48 hours total) for one semester. It was BRUTAL but worth it, since I graduated right before tuition hikes hit.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    I had 18 units going (6 courses) and worked two jobs (about 48 hours total) for one semester. It was BRUTAL but worth it, since I graduated right before tuition hikes hit.
    Did this negatively affect your GPA? I've got a solid 4.0 going at the moment and I'm afraid it's going to take a hit if I get in over my head.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    If it is undergraduate classes, no problem, I think that many of us have done something like that.

If it was Grad Classes, not a problem as long as you have your weekends to do homework, at least one free night a week and you have a limited social life.
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    If it is undergraduate classes, no problem, I think that many of us have done something like that.

If it was Grad Classes, not a problem as long as you have your weekends to do homework, at least one free night a week and you have a limited social life.
    They are undergrad classes indeed. In fact, one reason why I want to finish quickly is so that I can start grad. school earlier. Also, I think tuition is about to go up quite a bit.

EDIT:

Well, it looks like it was decided for me anyway

I registered for 15 hours and the tuition came out to be: $8295

The maximum financial aid I am eligible for this semester is: $5892

So, I dropped it down to 9-hours and the bill comes out right at $5000, which will be completely covered. I guess that's what I get for going to a private school. Ah well, it seems that it was meant to be this way. I can still take a class at the community college and come out at 12 hours total this semester. That will be more manageable I'm sure.
    Last edited by jread; 07 Nov 2005 at 7:27 PM.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    What school are you going to? St Eds?

Im taking 12 hours this semester plus working 16-20 hours a week. Im spending 6-8 hours on saturdays and sundays doing school work (usually writing papers).

Its killing me.

However, I am making some of the highest grades of the first year students, so I guess that says something.

Note for those shopping for grad schools: UT Austin does NOT accomodate the working crowd at all. It almost seems as if they schedule classes in order to prevent you from working.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by FueledByRamen
    What school are you going to? St Eds?

Im taking 12 hours this semester plus working 16-20 hours a week. Im spending 6-8 hours on saturdays and sundays doing school work (usually writing papers).

Its killing me.

However, I am making some of the highest grades of the first year students, so I guess that says something.

Note for those shopping for grad schools: UT Austin does NOT accomodate the working crowd at all. It almost seems as if they schedule classes in order to prevent you from working.
    Yep, St. Ed's

And your last statement is precisely why I decided to give UT the long finger and go to St. Edward's instead. I guess they will always have a supply of rich kids who don't have to work while they're in school. I personally think they're a little full of themselves. At least they have an evening MBA program.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jread
    Yep, St. Ed's

And your last statement is precisely why I decided to give UT the long finger and go to St. Edward's instead. I guess they will always have a supply of rich kids who don't have to work while they're in school. I personally think they're a little full of themselves. At least they have an evening MBA program.
    I think UT is trying to present itself as more of a high-academia institution. They are continuously raising tuition as well. They are trying to build an Ivy League image.

And most undergrads work...as far as grad students go, we all have student loans. A few work full time and take just 6 hours. One works 30 hours a week and is taking 9 hours. I am the only one that I know taking 12 hours of class and working as much as I do.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    You can do it my last semester during my Under-Grad Studies I took 20 hours and was working two jobs. I would not recomend doing that but it can be done it you prioratize your time and are dedicated.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by FueledByRamen
    I think UT is trying to present itself as more of a high-academia institution. They are continuously raising tuition as well. They are trying to build an Ivy League image.
    Rice University has already taken the title as Texas' Ivy League school. Will be very hard to ever top them. The whole "public school in a redneck state" is also tough to overcome. Many more of UT's programs are attaining a national rank, though, so I'm sure it can be done. I just think that, for now, the prestige of the degree is not equivalent to the huge pain in the ass that it is to go there. A friend of mine ended up going to Stanford for graduate school, and they gave him money. He also applied to UT and they didn't offer him anything. He was like, "Hmmm... now this is an easy decision."

And most undergrads work...as far as grad students go, we all have student loans. A few work full time and take just 6 hours. One works 30 hours a week and is taking 9 hours. I am the only one that I know taking 12 hours of class and working as much as I do.
    They told me that they required you to take at least 9 hours per semester and that working full-time was impossible. How are these people able to take only 6 and work as well?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jread
    I found out tonight that I can graduate a semester earlier if I buckle down and take 15 hours next semester. I also work full-time at 40+ hours per week.

I should also add that 4 of the 5 courses are "accelerated", meaning that they are 7-weeks apiece, or half-semester courses. Two of them will take place the first half of the semester and two will take place the second half of the semester. Now, this is nice to only deal with each class for 7 weeks, but that is an INTENSE 7 weeks. The 5th class will be all semester long. So, it looks like this:

Jan-March: 2 courses
    March-May: 2 courses
    Jan-May: 1 course

I end up with 15 hours but will only be dealing with 9 hours at a time. It's still going to be brutal but nothing like if I were to be in all 5 courses at the same time.

Given this info, would you still do it?

Is this crazy? I have to register at 6:00 p.m. today so I'd better make a decision soon.
    That's a pretty heavy load to try to take on. I will start taking grad courses in the spring with 6 credits and working full-time. I have a family so I couldn't dream of taking more credits than that. I might be able to do 9 credits Because I will have an advantage of taking online courses.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. How many hours per week do you work?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 05 Jun 2007, 10:24 AM
  2. Work hours for planners
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 28 Jun 2006, 9:11 AM
  3. how many hours do you work per week?
    Friday Afternoon Club