Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Mixed-use residential/commercial development

  1. #1
    Member
    Registered
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nanaimo,BC
    Posts
    12

    Mixed-use residential/commercial development

    Hi to all hard brain-storming planners.

    I would take any suggestions regarding the next two questions.

    My questions are :

    What I would look for when I vistied the site of the proposed mixed -use development???

    In my report,how would I counter the NIMBY attitude of local residents???

  2. #2
    Cyburbian The One's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Posts
    7,354

    well

    #1 Pedestrian access and treating vehicles as secondary.
    #2 Sun exposure during the harsh winter months. Any Topographic Enhancements Needed/Views?
    #3 Scale and location of pedestrian couryards.
    #4 Parking, keep a little visible, but most hidden.
    #5 Where do those who live here access their properties and will there be conflicts with commercial uses (bars/restaurants/pawn shops/tatoo parlors/sex shops?)....those last three were just me being funny.....or was it

    Emphasize access to mixed use commercial that may benefit the neighborhoods and could enhance property values.....?
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

  3. #3
    BANNED
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    Location
    downthestreet
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally posted by vancobubov
    Hi to all hard brain-storming planners.

    I would take any suggestions regarding the next two questions.

    My questions are :

    What I would look for when I vistied the site of the proposed mixed -use development???

    In my report,how would I counter the NIMBY attitude of local residents???

    How large is the mixed-used development, is it a little dinky 4 unit apartment upstairs with 600 s.q. of commercial downstairs or on the opposite end of the spectrum, is the surrounding area an existing mixed use area or is it predominantly one use? Or are you saying "development" as in a couple of city blocks?

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Cardinal's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Cheese State
    Posts
    10,007
    Agreeing with Acchhhooo. Mixed-use on the fringe of a commercial district can be desirable to neighboring residents if it results in a character of development that is more consistent with that of their neighborhood. The right mix of shops or offices can also be viewed as an asset by the community.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

  5. #5
    Member
    Registered
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nanaimo,BC
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally posted by acchhhoooo
    How large is the mixed-used development, is it a little dinky 4 unit apartment upstairs with 600 s.q. of commercial downstairs or on the opposite end of the spectrum, is the surrounding area an existing mixed use area or is it predominantly one use? Or are you saying "development" as in a couple of city blocks?
    Thanks for your time and interest .Actually it is the surrounding areain the existing mixed use area for about 188 dwll. units and 60 000s.q.

    Quote Originally posted by The One
    #1 Pedestrian access and treating vehicles as secondary.
    #2 Sun exposure during the harsh winter months. Any Topographic Enhancements Needed/Views?
    #3 Scale and location of pedestrian couryards.
    #4 Parking, keep a little visible, but most hidden.
    #5 Where do those who live here access their properties and will there be conflicts with commercial uses (bars/restaurants/pawn shops/tatoo parlors/sex shops?)....those last three were just me being funny.....or was it

    Emphasize access to mixed use commercial that may benefit the neighborhoods and could enhance property values.....?

    Thank You for your time, and can you please think of some more things that I should look forat the visited site.

    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Agreeing with Acchhhooo. Mixed-use on the fringe of a commercial district can be desirable to neighboring residents if it results in a character of development that is more consistent with that of their neighborhood. The right mix of shops or offices can also be viewed as an asset by the community.
    Thank You for your time .Can you please think of some more things that I should look for at the site of the proposed dvelopment.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 15 Nov 2005 at 9:29 AM. Reason: triple reply

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 Sep 2012, 11:23 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 21 Feb 2008, 10:37 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 31 Jan 2007, 5:50 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Nov 2006, 3:19 PM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last post: 16 Dec 2005, 5:28 PM