Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: NYC entry level salaries?

Registered
    Nov 2005

NYC entry level salaries?

How much would an entry level position in the public sector of planning in Manhattan generally pay someone right out of college with a Masters degree from a reputable school?

Thanks in advance.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm thinking at least $5 an hour.... If making money is your major concern, I'd suggest somewhere less expensive to live than Manhatten. You're going to be miserable on a planner's salary there.

I would suggest looking up NYC's website, I'm sure they post similar jobs there with salary ranges.

Again, you do not go into this field looking for money. If you do, you won't last long. I'm not complaining, you can make a decent living, but you're not going to be Donald Trump off of this salary.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    I made $62,000 yearly at a larger nonprofit (YMCA) with a level of experience equivalent to a master's degree.

In the private sector, a year earlier, I earned $190,000.

Both positions were in midtown Manhattan.

You can live on $62,000 a year; you just can't necessarily live in Manhattan, or at least not very comfortable. I stayed in Woodbridge, NJ and rode the train an hour each way to Midtown. (Driving distance was 35 miles.) Depending on where your office is, this may or may not be feasible.

If you like roommates, you can probably find a decent room as low as $650/month in an area like Queens or Brooklyn.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    It seems strange, but in times when I was job hunting I found that positiong in NYC and the surrounding area really weren't above the national average; they definitely didn't consider the high cost of living in the area. Salaries in NYC seemed much lower than in Los Angeles and San Francisco, where the cost of living is going to be about the same.

Pay in planning jobs doesn't seem to be rising at the rate of other professions. The APA does an annual salary survey, but I don't think they've ever done anything about the relatively low salaries planners get compared to other professions that require the same amount of education.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally posted by MennoJoshua
    In the private sector, a year earlier, I earned $190,000.

Both positions were in midtown Manhattan.
    What firm were you with and what exactly were you doing when you earned $190,000? I am graduating w/ a planning masters this upcoming spring and am looking to put this degree to work in NYC.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    yes, do tell. i'm sure there's a very good reason for you leaving such a large salary and working for a (probably) more morally redeeming cause like the YMCA. way to go.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    My guess is he got let go in Merrill Lynch along with my sis. Ya know a company goes broke paying people that kind of money!

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Part of the "problem" in NYC is the large number of urban planners with master's degrees - there are at least five graduate schools that pump out graduates each year. I recently graduated from NYU and was looking at non-profits in the areas of affordable housing/community development/etc. that offered positions in the $42-51,000 range. A couple of my friends are working for planning consulting firms and started out at roughly $55K. If you have no prior NYC employment experience or substantial planning experience entry-level city planners start at $38-40K, which is pretty hard to live on in the outer boroughs, much less Manhattan. However planning-related positions in other NYC departments like Small Business Services, Housing and Preservation Development, even the Buildings department often offer more than the planning department (and they hire a lot of planners).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 31
    Last post: 21 Dec 2012, 9:10 PM
  2. Entry level job with only a B.A.
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Mar 2008, 7:22 PM
  3. Entry level position
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Sep 2007, 4:15 PM