Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning jobs in Europe

Registered
    Jan 2005

Planning jobs in Europe

Does anyone know of good website that posts planning jobs in Europe. I couldn't find anything for the Royal Town Planning Institute in the UK and haven't found any other planning organizations in Europe. Any advice for an American interested in entry-level planning somewhere in English-speaking Europe? Thanks

Registered
    May 2003
    England has a very different planning environment than the US/Canada/Australia. Somebody else might be able to fill you in on the specifics better than I but I would suspect that your training at an American university might be a liability in trying to get a job in the UK.

Don't forget Ireland, btw. They're growing like crazy and I would suspect would have a higher demand for planners overall.

Registered
    Nov 2005

Do you have British work permit?

It is very difficult for oversea planners to secure any planning job without proper work permit.

The UK planning market is extermely buoyant at the moment and there is demand for planners at all level. That said, priority goes to UK educated planners and planners from the Commonwealth Countries (South Africa / Aussie / Kiwi) who can work at UK on "working holiday scheme"

Assuming you have British work permit, the easiest route into planning is thru temp agencies. I got a job a week after graduation.

Google these:
    AndersElite
    RGB
    Blutech
    Judd Farris

Registered
    Nov 2004
    See here.
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22406

As JordanB said, the differences in education and legal sytems may make getting job difficult. That said if you tailored yourself and promoted common themes between your planning education and the challenges faced in Ireland/UK you could stand as good a chance as anybody. You could also promote ways in which the American system may have something to offer to the Irish/UK system. I am talking from a private consultants point of view. I will reiterate that someone who plans to be involved in the design side of things may stand a better chance than a planner.

The planning systems in Ireland/UK are policy document led. You need to show a good understanding of these. The UK has stronger more defined documents than Ireland. In Ireland you need to be able to interpret guidelines yourself to a certain extent.

Find more on www.irishplanninginstitute.ie

I am also looking for links for Urban Planner summer internships in Europe. I am studying in a US university but because I am a dual citizen of EU and USA I don't think I need a work permit. Any advice?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2012

Internships in Europe

Hi,

I am working in the Netherlands - being German. In Europe you will find a lot of internship opportunities - the only problem is that normally the payment is rather poor and depending to the work you might need to speak the local language. I found e.g. this site with also some planning jobs:

http://www.world-architects.com/en/jobs

of maybe try this website: http://www.europlacement.com/

Another suggestion would be to try to send application to planning departments or universities that have a planning department.

Best,
    Monika

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2012

Planning jobs in Europe

Hi,

I am working in the Netherlands - being German. In Europe you will find a lot of internship opportunities - the only problem is that normally the payment is rather poor and depending to the work you might need to speak the local language. I found e.g. this site with also some planning jobs:

http://www.world-architects.com/en/jobs

of maybe try this website: http://www.europlacement.com/

Another suggestion would be to try to send application to planning departments or universities that have a planning department.

Best,
    Monika

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Yes, I would agree with Monika that most placements in Europe are fairly low paying. I'm an American working in the UK, but the job market isn't easy to break into here. First, you certainly need a work visa. It is highly unlikely (in this economy) that someone will sponsor you. I have a Master's from a UK University and a year work experience in the UK - it was still very difficult to find the job I'm in now.

All that said, working in Europe/UK is a great place. You get almost a month vacation (compared to 7-10 average in the US). Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 03 Dec 2013, 2:06 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 01 May 2008, 2:30 AM
  3. Securing a planning job in Western Europe
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 14 Apr 2008, 11:03 PM
  4. Planning degrees: US vs Europe
    Career Development and Advice