Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Canada graduate schools

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2004

Canada graduate schools

Hey all, I am trying to put together a list of schools that I am going to apply too for next fall. I am looking for any personal opinions on where you may have attended, what concentrations the school focuses on, any other opinions.....

thanks

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Hey -

I'm currently waiting to hear back from Queen's and Toronto. I'm from New York, so I'm actually applying as an international student. Here is what I thought:

- UBC - I didn't apply here because I couldn't picture myself moving that far away from home. What's good about UBC is that it's the cheapest both for international & domestic students, and is accredited by both the CIP and the APA.

- Queen's - If you're interested in housing/real estate dev it's great because that's 2 of the 3 concentrations. It is a CIP accredited school and has a strong faculty.

- Toronto - I visited here and fell in love with it (it's my top choice). It's a little more academic/less professional than the Queen's & UBC programs - I think - only because it's an MSc Program through the Geography Dept rather than an MUP/MCP program. The breadth here is great especially if you want to broach both infrastructure planning and community planning. It's on the more expensive side. CIP certified. The director at Toronto said the top 3 grad schools for planning in Canada are UofT, UBC and Queens.

- Waterloo - I never wound up applying here but think they have a great co-op program. At least they do for undergrad. Their staff was very helpful too.

- McGill - they have an accredited program as well but I wasn't very interested in it.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I'm actually surprised that more Americans don't apply to Canadian schools, considering the low tuition and quality of education. I guess the big deterrant is the difficulty of finding a job in the US with a Canadian degree.
    From what I know, UofT and UBC have the best reputations in the country. However, it seems that UBC grads have a hard time finding jobs outside Vancouver (which I wouldn't see as a problem, it's a great city).
    UofT seems to be a really solid program, from what I know.
    I guess which school to go to depends on your interest. UofT seems to have a socio-economic focus, being located in the geography department. UBC is very environment and sustainability focused. McGill is more studio/architecture focused. Queen's seems to have a policy focus.
    The big problem with Canadian programs is they have entering classes of 20-30 students, and applications number around 200.

Registered
    Mar 2004

I vote for....

University of Calgary.....I only had a spring semester there, but I really liked it Seems to be a very technical program (Geography/Geo-sciences)

Lethbridge has the coolest looking campus But not many grad programs....if any?
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Oct 2005
    from what I understand though, since the Canadian schools are CIP accredited a degree from Toronto would be equivalent to an APA accredited MUP almost anywhere.

i'm surprised that it's hard to get a job out of UBC as its accredited by both.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    University of Calgary.....I only had a spring semester there, but I really liked it Seems to be a very technical program (Geography/Geo-sciences)

Lethbridge has the coolest looking campus But not many grad programs....if any?

Lethbridge has the coolest looking campus?? I don't really agree, I have to say. Although McGill doesn't win top marks in terms of the general discussion on this forum, I can certainly vouch for the coolness of the campus itself - right downtown in the heart of things, next to the "mountain," beautiful old buildings, well connected to public transportation infrastruture... I could go on. For that matter, the U of A in Edmonton has a nicer campus (but alas, no planning programme - good for us out-of-towners trying to make our way home to the "City of Champions" though).

The U of C may have a decent program (again debatable), but, on the topic of campus coolness it absolutely gets a failing grade. Ugly 1970's style concrete buildings in an isolated suburban location, no good restaurants and cafes around. After all, we go to school for the restaurants and cafes don't we? Even the campus pubs leave much to be desired. Anyone who's ever been to the "the den" will know what I'm talking about. does "the den" still exist?

CanCon

Registered
    Sep 2001
    While I did not attend, I know many people who have and I know a few of the faculty, I'd also suggest looking at Dalhousie (TUNS/Daltech whatever they are calling themselves this week).

Halifax is a great place.

Here is a faculty list and their interests

http://architectureandplanning.dal.c...ty/index.shtml

If you are interested in rural planning and development look at Guelph.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/sedrd/RPD/
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2004
    wow..thread back from the dead!! haha,

I ended up applying to five different schools, U of C, Dal., Queens, U of M, and U of T. Hopefully im accepted to one....

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by grampafunk
    wow..thread back from the dead!! haha,

I ended up applying to five different schools, U of C, Dal., Queens, U of M, and U of T. Hopefully im accepted to one....
    My top choice is Toronto... I had applied to Queens also but Buffalo gave me a full ride so unless if Queens is extremely generous it's between UofT and Buff... (still waiting to hear from UofT and I'll prob take it if I get in)...

so yeah, maybe we'll be classmates!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by CanCon
    ).

The U of C may have a decent program (again debatable), but, on the topic of campus coolness it absolutely gets a failing grade. Ugly 1970's style concrete buildings in an isolated suburban location, no good restaurants and cafes around. After all, we go to school for the restaurants and cafes don't we?
    CanCon
    Good Pointe eh? I remember walking with friends for what seemed like miles looking for off campus fun, food and or drink...and only finding one skeezy place I remember the landscaping of the campus looking fantastic with tons of Japanese gardens and the Olympic newness not yet warn off... You think that's bad come down here and look at the majority of our universities....I think there was a thread about bad campus design Just forget all this talk of Canada and go the U. of Hawaii at Hilo
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Feb 2006
    What about Ryerson?

Im in my last semester of GIS and Urban Planning at Fanshawe College and they offer a transfer directly into 3rd year urban at Ryerson. Sweet deal, considering my program at fanshawe was only two. Of course there is a 75hour summer course to make the cut

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by PlanMan101
    What about Ryerson?

Im in my last semester of GIS and Urban Planning at Fanshawe College and they offer a transfer directly into 3rd year urban at Ryerson. Sweet deal, considering my program at fanshawe was only two. Of course there is a 75hour summer course to make the cut
    Ryerson is not really a grad program, they are giving you advanced standing based on your previous course work. I work and have workd with a few "rye high" grads, and most have only good things to say about the program and what they learned.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Dec 2011, 7:53 AM
  2. GPA at graduate schools
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 14 Oct 2008, 4:02 PM
  3. Graduate schools?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Aug 2008, 8:19 PM