Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Wednesday November 9, 2005 noontime (Jerk) question from Michaelskis

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Wednesday November 9, 2005 noontime (Jerk) question from Michaelskis

Some people are phenomenal athletes, businessmen, lawyers, or whatever their profession is, but still serious Jerks. We see this with a famous football player who belittled his team, and now he will sit out the rest of the season.

Should these people be disciplined, fired, or similar activity for being a jerk, even if they perform better than any of their co-workers, teammates, or colleagues? How important is personal image and the ability to be well liked… or at least not hated?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What about their agent ?
    Apparently in the latest case, he has not helped matters.

illustrated what often hamstrings athletes from developing personal integrity and maturity.

When you're a high-profile athlete (or a person with wealth, fame or influence), there's always going to be a group of "friends" willing to tell you that you've done nothing wrong. After watching "X" anti-media, poor- "Y" tirade, is there any mystery now why "Y" has alienated most of his teammates and mishandled his contract dispute?

How would you handle your personal or business relationships if your advisers and friends were afraid to tell you the truth or were so caught up in your celebrity that they defended your every action?
    http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...l/13117454.htm
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Jerks shall be jerks always... there's nothing anybody can do about it. So if possible we non jerks should make their lives harder for being jerks and becoming jerks...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Oh quit being so uptight. So long as someone is really good at putting a ball through a hoop or squeezing every dime possible out of an unsuspecting consumer what possible difference does character make? People that have any sort of talent that allows them to accumulate wealth should be considered to exist on a different (higher) plane from everyone else and should therefore never have to wait in lines, should be as offensive as their whim dictates....certainly shouldn't have to be subjected to the same laws that apply to all the plebes of the world. I mean c'mon!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 1997
    What I'd like to see is people like that, jerks, are just ignored. Once they've proven that their jerkness is a long-term character flaw, that their choosing to treat others disrespectfully is a chronic condition and not just a short term thing, I'd just as soon see their prospects for meaningful business relations dry up.

No team displays any interest in signing them, no businesses are interested in employing them at any position of trust, no media people choose to acknowledge their existence, . . . . basically no one chooses to give them the attention or trust that they think they are entitled to. You don't have to declare to the world that the person is a jerk, or berate them, or make them the bad guy, just stop associating with them. Unless we start running short of quality character people.

Show that your character is big enough to choose the long term health of your organization over the short term benefits of a technically skilled but character deficient person.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff
    What I'd like to see is people like that, jerks, are just ignored. Once they've proven that their jerkness is a long-term character flaw, that their choosing to treat others disrespectfully is a chronic condition and not just a short term thing, I'd just as soon see their prospects for meaningful business relations dry up.

No team displays any interest in signing them, no businesses are interested in employing them at any position of trust, no media people choose to acknowledge their existence, . . . . basically no one chooses to give them the attention or trust that they think they are entitled to. You don't have to declare to the world that the person is a jerk, or berate them, or make them the bad guy, just stop associating with them. Unless we start running short of quality character people.

Show that your character is big enough to choose the long term health of your organization over the short term benefits of a technically skilled but character deficient person.
    You realize you're describing the time honored Amish method of 'shunning'. Hey, it works (at least in Amish circles) and happens to be a more humane form of external behavior modification than this country's legal/penal system!!!!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Don't see any reason why an organization should have to tolerate disrespective, and disruptive behvavior from their employee. Apparently this knucklehead has been acting like a grade A a$$h*le for years. High time they let him go. He isn't hurting because of it. All those millions of dollars can be a comfort I am sure.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff
    What I'd like to see is people like that, jerks, are just ignored.
    As much as I'd like to ignore jerks, I don't think you can. Jerks are bred and honored in our society. Virtually anyone who moves upward in life on the strength of confidence and the power of personality has a lot of jerk in them.

And we Americans tend to like those people, as long as we get the outcome we want, too.

Registered
    May 2003
    Professional athletes are being paid to be in public positions which are highly visable and serve as role models for children. I think that if an athlete can not be professional enough to be a good sportsman then he should be fired.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Oh quit being so uptight. So long as someone is really good at putting a ball through a hoop or squeezing every dime possible out of an unsuspecting consumer what possible difference does character make? People that have any sort of talent that allows them to accumulate wealth should be considered to exist on a different (higher) plane from everyone else and should therefore never have to wait in lines, should be as offensive as their whim dictates....certainly shouldn't have to be subjected to the same laws that apply to all the plebes of the world. I mean c'mon!

Sir: Can i invite you to join my new Objectivist Political Party? We pray to Saint Ayn of Rand every Thursday at the close of trading on Wall Street.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    You realize you're describing the time honored Amish method of 'shunning'. Hey, it works (at least in Amish circles) and happens to be a more humane form of external behavior modification than this country's legal/penal system!!!!
    Well . . . I don't think I'd go THAT far, but the concept is the same. A jerk is still a person and deserves a base amount of respect, and all the rights entitled to people under law. And, if I understand shunning, the intent is different. I don't want to ignore them in order to modify their behavior. I just don't want to waste an organizations resources like time or money on them, when a person with less skill but more character would be a better member of the group. It's more about everyone's ability to perform better when they don't have to put up with the jerk, rather than changing the jerk to a non-jerk.

Quote Originally posted by pete-rock
    As much as I'd like to ignore jerks, I don't think you can. Jerks are bred and honored in our society. Virtually anyone who moves upward in life on the strength of confidence and the power of personality has a lot of jerk in them.

And we Americans tend to like those people, as long as we get the outcome we want, too.
    [Sociologist]Why not? Individuals and groups make thousands of decisions every day, what to buy, what to read, what to invest time and money in, what to build, who to associate with. They certainly can choose to value character over money, long term health over short term profits, right over wrong. They may choose someone with poor character, or instant gratification, but they don't HAVE to.[/sociologist]

Of course, I don't always make those decisions in agreement with a higher ideal, so include me in the group. It's hard to dissociate from jerks, but there are benefits. Our actions just don't always match how much we say we value those benefits.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by pete-rock

Its true just watch the Apprentice with Trump and all the little jerks who kiss his behind. "I am a born leader!!! I do not take NO for an answer!!! I always get what I want!!!" Its the people who don't get to channel their jerkiness into business that you really have to look out for.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Sir: Can i invite you to join my new Objectivist Political Party? We pray to Saint Ayn of Rand every Thursday at the close of trading on Wall Street.
    Only if I can lead the opening invocation.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Is this stock trading taking place for a Colorado railroad? (Woe is me, I read the book.....)

Who Is Galt Bear?
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    Don't see any reason why an organization should have to tolerate disrespective, and disruptive behvavior from their employee. Apparently this knucklehead has been acting like a grade A a$$h*le for years. High time they let him go. He isn't hurting because of it. All those millions of dollars can be a comfort I am sure.
    And to think that not one Viking lost his job over that party cruise a few weeks ago, either....

Mike

Registered
    Dec 2001
    he was acting like a jerk, threatened and belittled his teammates, and got into physical fights with teammates.

let me change some words

he was acting like a jerk, he threatened and belittled his coworkers and got into physical fights with his coworkers

to quote the donald: You're fired.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 08 Dec 2005, 11:43 AM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last post: 03 Dec 2005, 9:32 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 26 Nov 2005, 3:36 AM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last post: 22 Nov 2005, 10:15 AM