• pumpkin pie

52 83.87%
  • other pie

45 72.58%
  • garden salad

19 30.65%
  • bread rolls

51 82.26%
  • pizza/Chinese takeout/tv dinner (go ahead and answer single guys)

2 3.23%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving Feast poll

Registered
    Feb 2004

Thanksgiving Feast poll

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was watching a cooking show once where the chef said "Thanksgiving is one of the few meals where you don't want to get too experimental. People expect to eat the same traditional foods every year and these dishes tend to be the same in just about every household". She then proceeded to show how to make some sort of vegetable dish with artichokes and pineapples!
    I understand almost everyone eats Turkey with stuffing on Thanksgiving but even here there are some regional variants on how this is done - I've heard people Down South, for instance, like cornbread stuffing and sometimes deep-fry their turkeys.

So let's see what everybody likes .....and let's also see what the wierdos out there like.....
    There are only 20 poll choices possible so if you'd like to elaborate for example on how your family always has chestnut or oyster stuffing please reply with comments and remember to include what geographic area the cook (you?) is from.

Man, I'm getting hungry!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    The only thing missing from the poll that my family always has is a french meat stuffing. The highlight of my holiday meals. My mom always makes way too much of it, since she knows that I (and my brothers) will eat the leftover stuffing for days.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Here's the list at Casa De zmanPLAN's fam.

-regular turkey in the oven (for authentic gravy)
    -smoked turkey with Grand Marinier glaze (fun to start drinking that in the morning, smoked all day long)
    -cornbread (southern, not yankee cornbread) and sage dressing
    -southwestern, spicy dressing (with southern cornbread)
    -real cranberries
    -mashed potatoes (now that a beautiful girl from Idaho attends dinner )
    -green beans
    -Hungarian sausage, rice, and sauerkraut casserole
    -pumpkin, cherry, and lemon pies
    -usually some other new things, but I will have to add them later.

Time for some tea...

Off-topic:
    *Hey Maister, remember my Thanksgiving Mishaps thread from last year. You had some funny stories... I may have to resurrect that one...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    We host a very traditional dinner for my family and my wife's. The only variation is we have started having a deep fried turkey as well as traditional.
    Thanksgiving is my favorite.
    and let’s not forget grandma’s special deviled eggs.
    The family phone tree sprang into action one year warning us of grandma's deviled eggs. She said she put to much pickle juice in them and they became to runny. So she added Knox Gelatin to stiffen them up.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    This is the first year that my wife and I don't have to travel to Omaha for Thanks. or Akron for X-mas. Since we have our new house. Family is coming to us for a change. My sister-in-law and her family as well as my cousin in Pittsburgh are coming for Thanks. My in-laws and sister-in-law in Los Angeles will be in town for X-mas.

This is my menu for Thanks.

Roast turkey - I know how to make it where the breast never dries out.
    Sweet potatoes/Candied Yams whatever your vernacular may be
    macaroni and cheese
    garlic mashed potatoes
    stove top dressing (I hate dressing that made inside the bird.)
    collard greens with a slight hint of vinegar and smoked turkey
    garden salad
    rolls (My great-grandmother used to make the best homemade rolls, when she passed, that recipe went with her. On my Mom's side of the family, recipes aren't used. You learn by paying attention and doing it yourself).
    crumb apple pie
    sweet potato pie

I do all of the holiday cooking except for the mashed potatoes. That's my wife's specialty.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thanksgiving is when I show off my cooking skills.

Roast Turkey
    Homemade stuffing with a recipe generations old
    Mashed potatoes
    Homemade gravy
    Sweet potatoes (casserole with almonds, a new dish I introduced)
    Green bean casserole
    Homemade bread (700 year old Spanish recipe)
    Corn
    Homemade whole cranberry sauce
    Homemade apple pie

We are planning to have Thanksgiving at my house this year, since I have a large kitchen and formal dining room. I will miss that when I move.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    What? No frozen turkey pot pie, pudding pop, and box of wine?

Last year was the first time in a while that I have had a “Normal” thanksgiving with family and this year will be spent at the GF’s parents house with her family.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I don't know about you, but aren't savematoon's columns always entertaining and well written?
    north omaha star has some interesting foods listed. There's definitely some southern regional influences happening with the collard greens and sweet potato pie. Too bad no one was paying attention to great grandmother!
    Cardinal, a 700 year old Spanish recipe? Does your family have Spanish rooots?
    Zman, I don't specifically remember the T-day mishaps thread - but yeah, bring it back if you want.
    Mskis, I included the pizza/chinese takeout option for single guys and don't see any responses so far. It occurs to me now that my own experiences as a single guy might have been unusual and that most single guys go home to their families for Thanksgiving.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Our family always has:
    regular turkey
    cornbread/herb stuffing
    real mashed potatoes
    cranberry jelly in the can
    peas
    dinner rolls
    pumpkin and pecan pie

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    for many years when we first got married, before kids, we always made the horrific drvie from boston to syracuse with the rest of america - we had gotten in a routine of driving through the night and going to IHOP in Syraucse and then taking a nap at my mom's - nuts...

then in 92 when i was bedridden with my first pregnancy we stayed home - we invited other lost souls and my sister came too to duck out of my family, lol - and we all made our favorite side dishes to go along with the turkey and we sat down and looked at the table and realized that no one had made anything green

it was hilarious, like the a sorta grown up kids table

and after that, we have always done our own gig, especially when we bought a house in 96 with an AGA in it, you never leave home again for a meal (i miss that stove )

our typical menu:

roast turkey with apple sausage and chestnut stuffing (guess who opens the chestnuts the night before)
    mashed potato's with celery
    celery root salad
    burssel sprouts with bacon
    sweet potatoes with mushrooms
    homemade cranberry sauce (this is the variable, i use a different recipe every year, last year's involved brandy, lol)

homemade pumpkin pie (we even roast the pumpkin)
    this really good chocolate pie that our friend from south carolina makes but i can't remember what the right word for it is
    apple pie

Pretty traditional in my house too.

Roast turkey
    Sage/celery/onion stuffing
    Mashed potatoes/gravy
    Yams/Sweet Potatoes - don't touch the things
    Mushrooms simmered in butter
    Peas or Broccoli
    Rolls
    Pumpkin Pie/Pecan Pie

lots of wine!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Roast turkey (25 lbs.)
    Regular homemade stuffing with giblets
    Garlic mashed potatoes
    Homemade gravy
    Homemade cranberry sauce
    Green beans and bacon
    Homemade sweet potato pies

Prepared/out-the-box foodstuffs do not belong at the Thanksgiving dinner table! Period.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Oh don't make me remember Thanksgiving and the Turkey-ton that continued until after Christmas... Ugh.... Luckly now the Turkey feast here is just Christmas....

So for your Thanksgiving / my just like another typical day... I'll be eating... regular stuff..

Other vegetable: red cabbage, made with grape jelly and lots of sugar. The 'dunker family women are wild for it. Me? Fehhh, give me some more o' that turkey!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jmello

Prepared/out-the-box foodstuffs do not belong at the Thanksgiving dinner table! Period.
    every year we discuss the possible fun of having Thanksgiving completely out of a box or can - then we say "nahh" - but it would bep retty funny, especially with lots of guests!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    We're doing our Turkey in the Ron Popeil Set it and Forget it Rotisserie this year! hee!

other than that, a very traditional Tday - stuffing, mashed potatos, sweet potatos with marshmellow, green bean casserole, etc.

Registered
    Feb 2003

Turkey Tacos

Not traditional at all anymore. My husband's family makes Turkey Tacos. There's very little prep and clean up. Unique, but a nice time.
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    So for your Thanksgiving / my just like another typical day... I'll be eating... regular stuff..
    That was the usual with my cousins in Montreal. We wish my aunt (an American) Happy Thanksgiving, but my uncle was always at work. Just another, regular day for them.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    This year we are thinking about having duck instead of turkey. We had roast duck last June and really enjoyed it. Still, part of me doesn't want to give up one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving - my obligatory late night snack of thick slices of turkey breast on toasted white bread with mayo and salt.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    This year we are thinking about having duck instead of turkey. We had roast duck last June and really enjoyed it.
    Ducks are much too tiny for my family. We toyed with cooking a goose this year. I wanted to hunt it myself, even though I have never hunted a day in my life

Are we to assume that you do not eat duck very often? We probably eat duck once per month.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Mmm....you're making me hungry. Thanksgiving is held at my house (my parents' house) 2/3 of the time, and I am accustomed to seeing the following...and I love all of it!!

Roast turkey
    Mashed potatoes
    Gravy
    Regular stuffing (I don't know what kind)
    Corn bread stuffing
    Green Bean Casserole
    Sweet Potatoes
    Corn
    Bread rolls
    Real cranberries
    Canned cranberries
    Olives
    Pumpkin Pie w/ whipped cream
    Apple Pie a la mode
    Water, wine, sparkling grape juice
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2004

Awe Man That Sounds Tasty!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Here's the list at Casa De zmanPLAN's fam.

-regular turkey in the oven (for authentic gravy)
    -smoked turkey with Grand Marinier glaze (fun to start drinking that in the morning, smoked all day long)
    -cornbread (southern, not yankee cornbread) and sage dressing
    -southwestern, spicy dressing (with southern cornbread)
    -real cranberries
    -mashed potatoes (now that a beautiful girl from Idaho attends dinner )
    -green beans
    -Hungarian sausage, rice, and sauerkraut casserole
    -pumpkin, cherry, and lemon pies
    -usually some other new things, but I will have to add them later.

Time for some tea...

Off-topic:
    *Hey Maister, remember my Thanksgiving Mishaps thread from last year. You had some funny stories... I may have to resurrect that one...
    AS THE ONE SPRINTS TOWARDS THE TABLE OF FOOD, HE NOTICES ZMAN IN THE WAY, THE ONE GOES HORIZONTAL WITH A SHARP SHOULDER TO THE LOWER BACK OF ZMAN, IN AN ATTEMPT TO REMOVE HIM FROM THE PATH TO THE FOOD......SADLY THE ONE STRIKES ZMAN AND FALLS DIRECTLY TO THE FLOOR.......THE ONE FORGOT THAT ZMAN STANDS 6'9" AND GOES 280LBS SOLID.....OUCH......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    Green Bean Casserole
    What is this "green bean casserole" that you all speak of? We have green beans and bacon, but it is not in casserole form.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    What is this "green bean casserole" that you all speak of? We have green beans and bacon, but it is not in casserole form.
    Gasp! Someone who doesn't know what green bean casserole is???!!!!

It's a staple here in the midwest (and elsewhere) - basically it's greenbeans cooked in a casserole dish with mushroom soup and topped with French's brand TM fried onions. Personally, I eat it the day it's prepared while the onions are still nice and crunchy, but refuse to eat it as a leftover when the onions get a mushy texture and its gross IMO

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    AS THE ONE SPRINTS TOWARDS THE TABLE OF FOOD, HE NOTICES ZMAN IN THE WAY, THE ONE GOES HORIZONTAL WITH A SHARP SHOULDER TO THE LOWER BACK OF ZMAN, IN AN ATTEMPT TO REMOVE HIM FROM THE PATH TO THE FOOD......SADLY THE ONE STRIKES ZMAN AND FALLS DIRECTLY TO THE FLOOR.......THE ONE FORGOT THAT ZMAN STANDS 6'9" AND GOES 280LBS SOLID.....OUCH......
    Of course, the ZMan falls on his own, after breaking into the Grand Mariner at 9:30 am and drinking dark ale while watching the Broncos beat the Cowboys, he is pretty loaded.
    ZMan's skinny-ass uncle sprints past the "Pile of Planners" and grabbs all the food before The One and ZMan get up.

Buddy, come on over. We'll either be in the Park Hill area east of Downtown Denver or at my folks in Castle Pines. We'll set a place for you. Must come thirsty.

-Peart

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Thanksgiving - 2008
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 90
    Last post: 01 Dec 2008, 9:24 AM
  2. How Was Your Thanksgiving Weekend?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 30 Nov 2004, 5:03 PM